mjoz1982

Local PD ignoring requests to meet to turn in FID application

I have been trying to meet with my local PD's detective bureau to turn in my FID application since May/June.  According to my town's website you must download the appropriate State Police forms and then contact the Detectives to set up an appointment to meet and hand in the application.  After calling and leaving messages with the bureau for weeks I decided to go to the PD with the paperwork and hand it in without an appointment.  I was turned away by the dispatcher and told to call the detectives and make an appointment.  Immediately after I ran into the Chief of Police and explained my situation and his reply was "well they are very busy with applications just call again to meet with them".  It is now November and I still cannot get the Detectives to respond to my voicemails and have been unable to get my application in to begin the process. I even met with the Chief again (in passing) and got the exact same answer as before.  I contacted an aquaintence on the PD and asked him to speak with the detectives to let them know I was calling again (Monday 11/4) and to please ask them to respond to my voicemail.  I still have yet to receive a phone call back from them.  

I searched the State website and found the FIU (State's investigation unit) and am thinking of giving them a call tomorrow to see if they can help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to go about this?  6 months is ridiculous to just hand in an application, knowing that it most likely will take just as long (though against the law) to get the ID. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

What leftist commie town do you live in?  In Randolph this is all handled by civilian clerical type people that are all very helpful.  No appt. is needed and everything goes quickly.  Perhaps you should contact NJ2AS for some assistance.

Perhaps you should contact NJ2AS for some assistance.

Absolutely.  Further, send a certified letter to the Mayor, detailing exactly what has happened so far and on which dates.  Make sure everything is neat, adheres to the style of a formal business letter, and there are no typos.  CC the letter to the chief of police.

If you're unsure of how to do any of the above, send me a PM and I can help you format, edit, and even craft your letter.  Towns pulling crap like this really ticks me off.

As others have said, contact your mayor and ask him to straighten this out. There is no reason you should need an appointment to hand in paperwork, the towns I have lived in would have an civilian employee accept the application anytime during normal business hours.

I'd be interested in hearing what town it is.

I have to make an appointment with my detective bureau also.  You cannot drop the application off.  I called my detective bureau on a Friday and they met me on Tuesday the following week.

Read here:

http://www.nj2as.com/delays

Good luck!

And please do tell us what town you live in.....................??????

This is probably one of the best answers yet, also suggest joining them if you haven't already

Willing to bet its Evesham, I got an application to turn in for more permits, they told me they were booked with appointments until July...6/7 months just to turn it in

Heh, that doesn't sound to promising... I live in Eveshamn too and was gonna be putting in another app for a handgun permit sometime in the near future. Guess I should get it rolling, and hurry up and wait in line. lol.

Invest some cash in an attorney like Nappen if they are delaying this strongly at this stage then I can't even imagine all the delays once they accept the application. The attorney should send the first letter and follow through until you get everthing.

Call 911. When they show up and ask what the emergency is, hand them your application and say the emergency is that your rights are being denied.

:facepalm:

2C:33-3. False Public Alarms

e.A person is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree if the person knowingly places a call to a 9-1-1 emergency telephone system without purpose of reporting the need for 9-1-1 service.

e.A person is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree if the person knowingly places a call to a 9-1-1 emergency telephone system without purpose of reporting the need for 9-1-1 service.

What are you facepalming for? A human rights violation seems like an emergency to me...

you will find out how fast they can make time..

What are you facepalming for? A human rights violation seems like an emergency to me...

This is the people's republic of NJ, its only a human rights violation if you are a member of a protected class - if not you are screwed.

Hello All,

Thank you very much for the great advice!  The town is Boonton.  Last night I happened to be talking to my neighbor who informed me that within the time I have been trying to hand in the app, he has been able to hand in a P2P and have it returned from the same detective with no problem.  So now the fire is really burning for me to right this.  I was trying to avoid having any beef with anyone as it is a very small town and I am friendly with a lot of people on the PD but this has gotten ridiculous.  Sounds like I will be writing the Mayor and Chief.  As I type this I am printing out my phone records to have documentation of each time I have contacted the PD in regards to this matter.  By the way http://www.nj2as.com/delays is extremely informative!

Thank you all again and I will update as to the progress.

Sincerely,

M