Krdshrk

Thoughts on Body Armor?

That armor looks to only be rated for up to .44 Magnum, and won't stop a high velocity rifle round. It depends on what you use it for really.

For most of us, we'll die from heart complications or other biological reasons. The concern of being shot is really low. That said, I'd buy some for the cool factor and for the sake of building a loadout for the sake of doing it.

Unless you're going to train with plates, don't bother with them.  It may not seem like alot but even lightweight ceramic standalone level 4 plates come in around 15lbs which is pretty heavy and unless you're used to having them on, when you need them, they'll probably do more harm than good.

Apparently these ceramic plates weigh 4.5lbs each from what I've found.  That's not bad - 9lbs + my plate carrier + ammo loads and mags....

Everything in that link was IIIA so it won't stop a rifle round.  A standalone level 4 which will stop AP .308 weighs about 15lbs for both front and back plates.  9lbs for handgun only seems heavy to me?

I could be wrong - I emailed them for the info on the plates - a quick google search found a link that said 4.5lbs each plate.  I'll wait for their reply.

I'm not worried about rifle rounds honestly - I'm more worried about pistol rounds.  

Edit:

They just got back to me with the info:

One large IIIA Soft armor panel weighs 1.35lbs.  That's nothing.... 

I've been reading stuff about people using plates for 5-6 years (fairly constant use).... and they will still hold up to their specified levels when tested under fire.

People are saying 20+ year old vests hold up as well.

With proper storage (out of sunlight and moisture) I feel fine with leaving them sitting.

I already have a plate carrier - I think I'm just going to get the IIIA plates.  I'm more worried about getting shot with a handgun round by a gangbanger than a rifle round.

Don't hang around gangbangers.

the ar500 plates are cool IF you're gonna be going into battle against zombies armed up better than you are. otherwise, i'd think level 2 or level3a soft protection would be the way to go, and probably the most sensible, as any looters will more than likely be shooting at you with small caliber pistols.......

TBH if your plan is to absorb 2 308 hits, you really need a plan B.

Tbh... Who "plans" to absorb any rounds lol.....it's not my thread and I'm not in the market ....but if one is purchasing armor I would think without a crystal ball I'd want the HIGHEST level protection possible as opposed to "well I only expect to take a couple 9mm rnds"......aside from le/ military.. there's a lot of 308 hunting rifles out there that are capable of multiple shots between reloads....I'd rather be over prepared ...but that's just my opinion...

the ar500 plates are cool IF you're gonna be going into battle against zombies armed up better than you are. otherwise, i'd think level 2 or level3a soft protection would be the way to go, and probably the most sensible, as any looters will more than likely be shooting at you with small caliber pistols.......

With the popularity/buying frenzy of ar's I wouldn't think twice about the likelihood of looters/criminals having ar's/aks....stolen/looted from homes

With the popularity/buying frenzy of ar's I wouldn't think twice about the likelihood of looters/criminals having ar's/aks....stolen/looted from homes

it's the most popular rifle in America, I'm with you on that.  Mini-14s, ARs, AKs, not used in street crime, but that doesn't mean they aren't available.

it's the most popular rifle in America, I'm with you on that. Mini-14s, ARs, AKs, not used in street crime, but that doesn't mean they aren't available.

I agree that a stick up kid robbing a convenience store most likely will have a glock "fohty" ....but being this thread is in the prepper section...I assumed it was for a theoretical shtf/societal breakdown/zombie apocalypse...and "gangbangers" presently use semi auto rifles/short shotguns....so I can only imagine it would become rampant and widespread in the theoretical shtf scenario.....but will mallninjatacticalsupply.com still be shipping then?...lol

in the peeper section...

If you're staring into people's windows, maybe heavy body armor is the way to go...never know what an angry husband or father will shoot at you with ;)

I've been looking into AR500 plates myself...I too already have plate carriers, so I've already got a way to secure them, but the weight is a concern.  Of course, for something I hope and expect to never use, anything more expensive than AR500 plates seems like a waste of money...