Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

NY State concealed carry map

This gets revised from time to time. Might be more "yellows" today than a year ago.

Still, it shows that even in a crazy state like NY, it's still possible almost anywhere to get at least a restricted carry license; unrestricted in about half the state. If on a scale of 1-10 Vermont is 10 and NJ 0, NY is approximately 5:

NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

And I happen to be in 1 of the 8 red counties...  Oh well, as I understand it you also need to be a NY resident for 6 months before being able to obtain a permit to purchase a pistol, or be able to register a previously owned pistol.

Are the most restrictive areas the high crime areas?

Good question. The map seems to follow population density. The more people per square mile, generally, the redder (more restrictive).

That's certainly true for the five boroughs, Putnam, and Westchester. But I know someone in Westchester who has a restrictive permit that he uses while hunting. 

It's strange, then, that Albany county (I assume where the state capital is located) and Erie (Buffalo) are yellow, but Tompkins is red. 

Can anyone guess why Tompkins is read? Cornell U. and Ithaca College. "Red for a Reason."

Remember the map is pre-Newtown, at least two years old. Some posters have suggested changing a few reds to yellow, probably for counties way upstate. 

I've read in the NY forum that it can take 15 months to get a carry permit, but at least they exist. Firearm Pop on Youtube lives in upstate NY. There are significant requirements for training, residency, and references. You have to navigate some hoops but those are hoops that many of us would gladly jump through. 

And I happen to be in 1 of the 8 red counties...  Oh well, as I understand it you also need to be a NY resident for 6 months before being able to obtain a permit to purchase a pistol, or be able to register a previously owned pistol.

Don't give up. It only means that it's more difficult, not impossible. They often start applicants on a conditional permit, then grant the unconditional version after a couple of years.

Good question. The map seems to follow population density. The more people per square mile, generally, the redder (more restrictive).

That's certainly true for the five boroughs, Putnam, and Westchester. But I know someone in Westchester who has a restrictive permit that he uses while hunting. 

It's strange, then, that Albany county (I assume where the state capital is located) and Erie (Buffalo) are yellow, but Tompkins is red. 

Can anyone guess why Tompkins is read? Cornell U. and Ithaca College. "Red for a Reason."

And Geneese is "Red" due to that little villiage there called "Attica."

And Geneese is "Red" due to that little villiage there called "Attica."

It's a "population" thing with the counties in RED, although Genesee has a population density of 120 people/sq. mile. (Is that dense?) During hunting season, those same RED counties are shotgun, muzzleloader or bow only for deer hunting, NO centerfire rifle. Westchester & Suffolk counties are restricted to bow-only for deer hunting, along with some sections of Albany and Monroe counties.

I love New York, and its rural upstate sections, but...............

The only problem with NY now for residents or visitors is restrictive limitations on semi-automatic longarms, with mandatory registration if those arms fit the new criteria as defined by SAFE; plus you'll have to relinquish, sell to FFL dealer or modify any pre-ban high-capacity magazines you had before the ban. Don't forget you're now limited to seven-round capacity when hunting or carrying regardless of action-type unless at an authorized target range. It's all a legal tangle of undergrowth where you have to tiptoe through the tulips. It remains to be seen how the NY State Police will monitor and implement background checks on ammunition purchases and red-flag patrons with large ammunition purchases. Now that they've shoe-horned this bill in, it's just a matter of time of what's next?

It remains to be seen how the NY State Police will monitor and implement background checks on ammunition purchases and red-flag patrons with large ammunition purchases. Now that they've shoe-horned this bill in, it's just a matter of time of what's next?

With all due respect to police, as a group they appear to be quite happy with enforcing all types of laws. It's good for business.

The legal system is a HUGE industry.

I don't know why Suffolk and Nassau county (long island) is in the red. From what I hear its fairly easy (reasonable) to obtain carry permits there.

I recently heard 18 months in Suffolk county just to acquire a permit to purchase a handgun. Other counties have a similar issue.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/daniel-zimmerman/ny-pistol-permit-wait-time-18-months/

I don't know why Suffolk and Nassau county (long island) is in the red. From what I hear its fairly easy (reasonable) to obtain carry permits there.

You can obtain a target and hunting permit and you can CCW on your way to/from the range and to/from hunting (but there's no pistoi hunting in lawnguyland). I heard 24 hour ranges were a booming business. 

But unrestricted carry is hard to come by unless you're someone like Anthony Cumia who also has a SC permit in NYC. 

Used to have a full NY ccw , then I moved to jersey. Didn't know about the business owners could get a CCW.

In my old county, Ulster, to get a carry ccw, you have to have a meeting with a judge.

Don't give up. It only means that it's more difficult, not impossible. They often start applicants on a conditional permit, then grant the unconditional version after a couple of years.

I'll only be stationed here for 7-8 months.  I'll just be able to bring my handgun into the state when it's time to move out.

Used to have a full NY ccw , then I moved to jersey. Didn't know about the business owners could get a CCW.

In my old county, Ulster, to get a carry ccw, you have to have a meeting with a judge.

And Ulster is "yellow."  Weird... My cousin owns a place in Woodstock (i.e. literal "Town of..."). 

I have heard at least 1 example of this. I also recently heard that NY is considering or passed (don't know) permits for part time residents.

I find it very ironic that "Sullivan" county is green on that map.

NY had a court order which required them to issue permits to part time residents. You must own property in NY. Thinking of getting some cheap land somewhere upstate. 

NY had a court order which required them to issue permits to part time residents. You must own property in NY. Thinking of getting some cheap land somewhere upstate. 

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/NYCtRulingPartTimeResidentsCanGetGunPermits.pdf

The next hurdle is finding four or five character references who live in that county you apply in to vouch for you.