EWC88

Mechanic recommendation

My truck needs the heater core replaced. I got one quote so far of $1k for the job. Was wondering if anyone knows of a mechanic around south jersey area that will have a better price? Or if a member does car work either as job or side cash. I can buy the parts that's no problem if some shops allow that.

One of those jobs that can be difficult to beat book time....  most are losers....   so 8-10hrs is an average labor charge

Agreed, at one point a few years back, with the old LH body Chryslers I was down to 2.5 R&R evaporators since I was doing like 3 a week.

most heater core jobs are tuff ot beat book. that said, chilton calls for 5.3 hours.

if you're anywhere near somerdale, try calling burton radiators. 856-783-1733. i've been dealing with those guys for over 20 years. shop i used to work at, we farmed this stuff out to them. now that i own my own shop, i still farm most of this stuff out to them. russ(the owner) is a good honest guy.

BTW.....me doing it myself, my charge would be approx. $800.00

Maybe I'm just used to old stuff then. I always just popped out the glove box and the most difficult part was not getting antifreeze in the cab.

They haven't designed dashes like that since the 1980's dude.

Labor is what is killer on heater core jobs. The heater core itself usually only costs around $40-50.

I usually pad heater core labor, as it is hard to beat or even meet time. Usually ends up being a two day job.

the only really really easy heater cores since about the early 80's are the chevy cavaliers, and similar bodies.....they pay 2.5, but if you take more than an yhour on them, you're screwing aroun d.

Actually the S10's and blazers weren't too bad either, Ford Taurus on the other hand...

Gotta love the engineers that designed this shit!

My 3rd Gen F-bodies weren't too bad, same goes for my 1991 Jimmy.

My buddies old Town Car was the easiest I ever did, it was under the hood!

I really hate most engineers...............

It's the designers that you hate. The engineers are forced to work within the designer's parameters.

automotive engineers should not be allowed to engineer or design anything, until they've worked in the field repairing some of these travesties for at LEAST a year. then let them go design something.

automotive engineers should not be allowed to engineer or design anything, until they've worked in the field repairing some of these travesties for at LEAST a year. then let them go design something.

When I still worked on cars I probably said this on a daily basis.

I always considered "Designers" as those that drew what the car will look like, inside and out. It was the "Engineers" who were to then translate that into something buildable.

Manufacturing Engineers are the people that will take the initial Engineering design and make sure it can actually be produced quickly and easily. If-not, back to the drawing board.

It is disgusting to tell someone their $35 timing belt will cost them $1200 to replace because of all the bull shit involved!

It is not the engineers fault. People don't sit around with modeling software and just willy-nilly design cars that are nightmares to work on, its simply that the OEM makes a whole ton of money designing a car that is quick/easy to build versus something easy to work on. 

Any FWD car that has a subframe that comes out with the engine/trans complete is crap to work on, but stupid easy to build. The 90's VW's come to mind. 

I still wish cars/trucks came with starter solenoids mounted on the fender. 

You'd think with all these robot built, easy to assemble cars out there, they would be cheaper, instead there seems to be have been a nearly 50% rise in costs of vehicles over the last 10 years, beating official inflation by quite a bit.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to keep my 100k mile 10 year old Sorento working for another 10years and 100k.