deerpark

Speeding tickets issued on the highway are stupid.

This is one of my favorite, absolutely true stories:

On the same day. Me on 80 my biddy on 287.

Both of us doing about 15 over.

Both going with traffic.

Both come upon a statey in the median.

I keep going.

He hits the brakes.

We both get tickets.

I was ticketed "because you didn't show me respect by not slowing down"

He got his ticket "because you tried to fool me by slowing down"

Swear to god this happened.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

both were lies...

you got tickets for breaking the law.. lol

D

that happens with or without a sign that says "speed limit 65 mph". My idea just eliminates the guy that can drive 80mph safely from receiving a summons in the name of "safety". It works in Germany on the Autobahn. Granted Germans are not New Jerseyans.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

How do we determine which guys can drive 80 safely?

Don't compare Germany to any place in the US when it comes to getting a drivers license. If you're starting from scratch you have to take a medical eye test and take a first aid course. The written test is no piece of cake and I understand about 1/3 of the people taking it fail the first time. You also need to take several levels of driving schools. These aren't a drive 15 mph over some closed course. The more advanced ones require high speed manuevering and braking on a closed course. I watched one of these schools being conducted at the airport in Munich about 15 years ago.

By the time you get your license it may have cost you over 1000 Euros and you've already demonstrated you can handle a car at 80 mph.

D

Don't compare Germany to any place in the US when it comes to getting a drivers license. If you're starting from scratch you have to take a medical eye test and take a first aid course. The written test is no piece of cake and I understand about 1/3 of the people taking it fail the first time. You also need to take several levels of driving schools. These aren't a drive 15 mph over some closed course. The more advanced ones require high speed manuevering and braking on a closed course. I watched one of these schools being conducted at the airport in Munich about 15 years ago.

By the time you get your license it may have cost you over 1000 Euros and you've already demonstrated you can handle a car at 80 mph.

Absolutely correct.  If you get a license in Germany you earned it both by demonstrating your ability and paying for it.  Around here you get to take your test in 15 different languages, but all of our signs are in English.  If you have a pulse, you get a license.

This is the main problem.  We have to SHARE the roads with a variety of different drivers.  I never understood this when I was young.  I wanted to drive faster, but my interpretation of fast was generally 15 mph over.  I learned the hard way many, many years ago when I engaged in a "road incident" by engaging with a (car) in front of me.  I ended up driving aggressively, making gestures at the driver.  I didn't realize until after I did took action that it was a mother with her baby in the back seat and that I had scared them thoroughly.  I felt like (and was) a dick.  I stopped driving poorly and realized that the other vehicles on the road were not just (cars) they were people with lives.  Not everyone can or desires to drive the same way.  We all have reasons for the way we operate our vehicles.  We regularly over estimate our ability to control our cars as proven by the daily barrage of crashes.  

Speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator.  I am certain if you are going 10 over you probably will never get bothered (75 in a 65 zone).  I would feel pretty good at going 75 mph around crowded NJ, but that's just me.  Next, you need to sprinkle in some common sense with how you drive.  Yes, if you pass a cop driving the same direction as you at 75/65 you are probably going to get stopped.  The police will not generally stop you for 10 over since they are looking for the most dangerous, highest speeds when they are parked making observations.  They have a job to do and purposely passing them while they are doing their jobs is a lack of common sense.  

D

And the thing about driving an Autobahn is that the "freedom" only applies to speed. If you're caught doing anything else (i.e weaving in/out of traffic, tailgating, DUI, or other such things), the penalties are most severe. And, Heaven forbid you have an accident with injuries.

I drove an Autobhan in the mid 80's once. I was doing 110mph, and people were passing me. :shok:

I've always felt that there are basic factors that should go into a particular road speed.

1. Construction of the Road - How well is is built? How many lanes, each way? On what type of terrain? Does it turn and bank properly? Is it "limited access" or are there a lot of places to enter and exit (think Rt. 4 in Bergen County)?  That should set the base speed.
  2. How much traffic? Because collisions can happen even on the best built roads if there's a bunch of traffic.
  3. Most important - Weather. Because even on the best built roads with no traffic, one can have a collision all by themselves in bad weather.

I wouldn't mind "NJ Turnpike" like signs that change when the conditions warrant it. But the base limit ought to reflect what I mentioned above. And most of these limited access highways like the "Interstates" and the Turnpike seem built for much higher than 65mph (Not sure about the Parkway - some places are not that well constructed).

I was told by a reliable source that the Garden State Parkway was engineered for 70 mph (with the exception of the stretch around Rt. 280) with cars with sloppy steering, manual brakes and no seat belts...

HB was the first one to touch on it in his #1 blurb. I was if he didn't...

When engineers built roads initially (before the road existed or had a hard surface applied), they were not designed with high speeds and a lot of traffic. You have to realize the era. Without me wrenching my brain too hard this early without enough coffee in me yet, one highway that really comes to mind is the NJ Turnpike.

If I recall, that is one highway that shape, angle, bank, direction, etc came to be for a reason. Not only as a main access for us Joisey drivers, but one for the military. They wanted a road that in the event of war, could handle military vehicles of all types, big and small, slow and fast. They wanted to make sure this road would enable any type of vehicle the ability to get there fast, not tip over and not need to be over handled. To be able to transport munitions to various ports, etc. There were a lot of factories that produced ammo and military supplies along the pike. They also wanted a highway where they could easily close off access to civilians during times of war. Ask me how I know this...

Have you ever noticed how comfortable and easy it is to drive/speed on the pike when able to do so? Next time you do, pay closer attn. you'll notice that it's almost effortless. You are not yanking the wheel to stay straight, etc., etc.

Other highways were not really made that way. Closest others in NJ would be the GSP and Rt80... Parts of 80 were a well traveled railroad. Ask me how I know that.

So all that being said, now with all the drivers here driving roads not designed for fast and furious nor drivers that care only about going from A-Z without caring who or what's around them, I'm fine with speeds currently posted ~10 or so..., IMHO.

There is just no reason to get anywhere in a hurry if you plan correctly. Even on the day of rest, Sunday, early, no traffic, I see people pass me while I'm in the middle lane on both sides like maniacs. Where the fook does anyone have to be that requires high speeds on a Sunday? At least come up for air one day a week without stress.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

When engineers built roads initially (before the road existed or had a hard surface applied), they were not designed with high speeds and a lot of traffic. You have to realize the era. Without me wrenching my brain too hard this early without enough coffee in me yet, one highway that really comes to mind is the NJ Turnpike.

If I recall, that is one highway that shape, angle, bank, direction, etc came to be for a reason. Not only as a main access for us Joisey drivers, but one for the military. They wanted a road that in the event of war, could handle military vehicles of all types, big and small, slow and fast. They wanted to make sure this road would enable any type of vehicle the ability to get there fast, not tip over and not need to be over handled. To be able to transport munitions to various ports, etc. There were a lot of factories that produced ammo and military supplies along the pike. They also wanted a highway where they could easily close off access to civilians during times of war. Ask me how I know this...

Have you ever noticed how comfortable and easy it is to drive/speed on the pike when able to do so? Next time you do, pay closer attn. you'll notice that it's almost effortless. You are not yanking the wheel to stay straight, etc., etc.

Other highways were not really made that way. Closest others in NJ would be the GSP and Rt80... Parts of 80 were a well traveled railroad. Ask me hoe I know that.

So all that being said, now with all the drivers here driving roads not designed for fast and furious nor drivers that care only about going from A-Z without caring who or what's around them, I'm fine with speeds currently posted ~10 or so..., IMHO.

There is just no reason to get anywhere in a hurry if you plan correctly. Even on the day of rest, Sunday, early, no traffic, I see people pass me while I'm in the middle lane on both sides like maniacs. Where the fook does anyone have to be that requires high speeds on a Sunday? At least come up for air one day a week without stress.

OK, I'll bite. How do you know?

A lot of what you say today about the NJTP (aka Rt. 95) is still true:

Name another road that virtually connects Joint Base Andrews (Maryland), Dover AFB (Delaware), the Philly Navy Yard, the Bayonne Navy Yard and the Port of Newark/New York?

A lot of what you say today about the NJTP (aka Rt. 95) is still true:

Name another road that virtually connects Joint Base Andrews (Maryland), Dover AFB (Delaware), the Philly Navy Yard, the Bayonne Navy Yard and the Port of Newark/New York?

I'd agree with all but Dover.. that's like 40+ miles from 95.  Philly Navy Yard is obviously nowhere near the NJTP but it is close to the other I-95..

For Pyth...

Re: Turnpike Design - Had access to people and buildings in which military munitions and supplies were made.... :)

Re: 80 was a railroad - My bedroom as a kid faced the train tracks where route 80 is now in Totowa. Engines sat on tracks idling all night over the Passaic River (part of Rt 80 that goes over river here in town, 100's of feet long)...

Fookers woke me up every night blowing their whistles when taking off. I didn't care being a kid that loved trains... When Rt80 was being built, they dismantled the railroad to install the highway. We actually road our bikes on Rt80 before it was complete after they put concrete down on the first spans... Was cool! :)

I'd agree with all but Dover.. that's like 40+ miles from 95.  Philly Navy Yard is obviously nowhere near the NJTP but it is close to the other I-95..

I stand corrected!  But in looking carefully at Google Maps I was also reminded of the 45 minute detour from the NJTP to Rt. 195 to Rt. 34 to get to Earle Naval Weapons Station and Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst being right down Rt. 206 from NJTP Exit #7!  And don't forget to stop for the Cheese Bread and apple butter at Mastori's!

Beings we got a tad off topic... for the OP:

Speed limits

Being freeways, Interstate Highways usually have the highest speed limits in a given area. Speed limits are determined by individual states. From 1974 to 1987, the maximum speed limit on any highway in the United States was 55 miles per hour (89 km/h), in accordance with federal law.[24] Currently, rural speed limits generally range from 65 to 75 miles per hour (105 to 121 km/h). Several portions of I‑10 and I-20 in rural western Texas and portions of I‑15 in rural central Utah have a speed limit of 80 mph (129 km/h), the highest speed limit on an Interstate Highway in the nation.

Typically, lower limits are established in Northeastern states, while higher speed limits are established in Southern and Western states.[25]

For example, the maximum speed limit is 75 mph (121 km/h) in northern Maine, 65 mph (105 km/h) from southern Maine to New Jersey, and 50 mph (80 km/h) in the District of Columbia.[25] In some areas, speed limits on Interstates can be significantly lower in areas where they traverse significantly hazardous areas. The maximum speed limit on I-90 is 50 mph (80 km/h) in downtown Cleveland because of two sharp curves with a suggested limit of 35 mph (56 km/h) in a heavily congested area; I‑70 through Wheeling, West Virginia, has a maximum speed limit of 45 mph (72 km/h) through the Wheeling Tunnel and most of downtown Wheeling; and I‑68 has a maximum speed limit of 40 mph (64 km/h) through Cumberland, Maryland, because of multiple hazards including sharp curves and narrow lanes through the city. In some locations, low speed limits are the result of lawsuits and resident demands; after holding up the completion of I‑35E in St. Paul, Minnesota, for nearly 30 years in the courts, residents along the stretch of the freeway from the southern city limit to downtown successfully lobbied for a 45 mph (72 km/h) speed limit in addition to a prohibition on any vehicle weighing more than 9,000 pounds (4,100 kg) gross vehicle weight. I‑93 in Franconia Notch State Park in northern New Hampshire has a speed limit of 45 mph (72 km/h) because it is a parkway that consists of only one lane per side of the highway.

I'd be happy with 60 all around (where it was that, originally). Give me my "Mile a minute" back. :D

Often the problem isn't "speed," but "impedance."   People don't necessarily need to speed, but they want to have a clear "unimpeded" path ahead of them, especially if it's a "slow poke." So they tailgate, flash lights, road rage, and/or do very stupid and dangerous things to get around the slow poke.   If people would only pull over and let faster driver pass.  Frankly, I'd want those drivers ahead of me where I can keep an eye on them.

It's very simple.... "Hall your a$$, or let'em pass."  :D

HB... true but if you haven't noticed, drivers don't care about the lane.

- If you are in the right lane trying to do the speed limit, it doesn't work. People are the most confused, out of it or window shopping in that lane. You'll be pissed just with that alone because you cannot do the speed limit.

- If you are in the middle lane trying to do the speed limit. You will be egged by intimidating drivers for no apparent reason and still will find it hard to maintain any speed. Oh and one other thing I've gotten into many arguments with my ex-br-in-law... a tractor trailer driver. The middle lane is their fast lane, they will intimidate you to move.

- Do 65 in a 55 in the left lane. Still not fast enough for the in a hurry driver. Hell, I've done 75 just to appease a driver for kicks. He then passed me and did 75 anyway. The conundrum of, "I don't want anyone in front of me, period"! Comes to mind.

Let's face it. You cannot drive in any lane, especially in NJ without being screwed with.

- If you are in the right lane trying to do the speed limit, it doesn't work. People are the most confused, out of it or window shopping in that lane. You'll be pissed just with that alone because you cannot do the speed limit.

- If you are in the middle lane trying to do the speed limit. You will be egged by intimidating drivers for no apparent reason and still will find it hard to maintain any speed. Oh and one other thing I've gotten into many arguments with my ex-br-in-law... a tractor trailer driver. The middle lane is their fast lane, they will intimidate you to move.

- Do 65 in a 55 in the left lane. Still not fast enough for the in a hurry driver. Hell, I've done 75 just to appease a driver for kicks. He then passed me and did 75 anyway. The conundrum of, "I don't want anyone in front of me, period"! Comes to mind.

Let's face it. You cannot drive in any lane, especially in NJ without being screwed with.

Very true.  There is that little unknown part of the NJ Driver Manual that says, "You should always keep up with the flow of traffic."  Always best to be a part of the crowd... not "stand out  in it." :)

I can not wait until we have auto-piloted cars.  Set a destination, get in and sleep, eff around on the internet, read, game, have real face-to-face conversations, maybe even sex, arrive completely relaxed and unstressed.  I estimate that 90% of the problems we have in traveling by car are the summation of all the individual bruised ego/inattentive/needlessly competitive/angry/sleepy/stressed drivers out there.

You want the thrill of performance driving while testing your handling abilities?  Get to a race track.  Or do your "spirited" driving on back roads early on Sunday mornings.

While we wait for the auto-pilots, I think the single best thing that could be done to make highway travel better currently would be to vigorously enforce the stay right except to pass rule.

I completely disagree, and here's WHY:

On a two-lane (fast and slow configuration), I always avoid the slow lane, especially if there are lots of exits, shopping center driveways, etc., as I've avoided plenty of accidents by doing so, sometimes watching them happen in front of my eyes as A-Holes cut-off or stop short on a driver in the slow lane to get into a Mall or ramp.

On a three-laner, either go as fast as the trucks need to go so they don't "blow a shift", or get into the fast (left) lane so as to avoid the constant passing and braking of the vehicles in the other two lanes.  Candy-Asses, Mall Shoppers, Out-of-Staters and the LOST all hang in the right two lanes, and frankly I want NO part of THAT!

I think it's a lot safer to do 10 over the limit in the left lane (in good weather) than get caught next to / in front of A-Holes looking for a way to cut-in every time you adjust to a reasonable following distance (especially in piss-poor weather conditions).  It's as if they want to save gas by "drafting" the vehicle in front of you.  Look no further for WHY we pay outrageous car insurance in this State!  Add a couple snow flakes to the conversation and then you have to multiply the A-Holes by a factor of 10, since everybody is in a rush to skid into a ditch!

I pity the fool who gives me a ticket for "failure to yield".  By the time I'm done with the Judge, he'll be laughing so hard he'll piss his pants!

What you say about driving in the left lane is so true and seems to be most common in the NY/NJ area. If you're doing 65 and the guy behind you starts closing in at 70, you take it up to 70, he wants to take it to 71, you go 75 and he wants 76. If you wind up going 100 he wants to go 101. You pull over and let him pass and then winds up doing 70 again. He just can't have anyone in front of him.

I completely disagree, and here's WHY:

On a two-lane (fast and slow configuration), I always avoid the slow lane, especially if there are lots of exits, shopping center driveways, etc., as I've avoided plenty of accidents by doing so, sometimes watching them happen in front of my eyes as A-Holes cut-off or stop short on a driver in the slow lane to get into a Mall or ramp.

On a three-laner, either go as fast as the trucks need to go so they don't "blow a shift", or get into the fast (left) lane so as to avoid the constant passing and braking of the vehicles in the other two lanes.  Candy-Asses, Mall Shoppers, Out-of-Staters and the LOST all hang in the right two lanes, and frankly I want NO part of THAT!

I think it's a lot safer to do 10 over the limit in the left lane (in good weather) than get caught next to / in front of A-Holes looking for a way to cut-in every time you adjust to a reasonable following distance (especially in piss-poor weather conditions).  It's as if they want to save gas by "drafting" the vehicle in front of you.  Look no further for WHY we pay outrageous car insurance in this State!  Add a couple snow flakes to the conversation and then you have to multiply the A-Holes by a factor of 10, since everybody is in a rush to skid into a ditch!

I pity the fool who gives me a ticket for "failure to yield".  By the time I'm done with the Judge, he'll be laughing so hard he'll piss his pants!

LMAO! :haha:

What you say about driving in the left lane is so true and seems to be most common in the NY/NJ area. If you're doing 65 and the guy behind you starts closing in at 70, you take it up to 70, he wants to take it to 71, you go 75 and he wants 76. If you wind up going 100 he wants to go 101. You pull over and let him pass and then winds up doing 70 again. He just can't have anyone in front of him.

Why the hell do people drive faster than they want to just to stay in front of somebody? If someone didn't want to go 70 they should have pulled right to let them pass. Back when I had to battle the GSP everyday this would be a common occurance (especially just north of the Rt. 17 exit). Someone would keep going faster instead of pulling out of the way. The Valentine One goes off and I slow down and they get popped for speeding. All they had to do was pull right to let people pass.

Why the hell do people drive faster than they want to just to stay in front of somebody? If someone didn't want to go 70 they should have pulled right to let them pass. Back when I had to battle the GSP everyday this would be a common occurance (especially just north of the Rt. 17 exit). Someone would keep going faster instead of pulling out of the way. The Valentine One goes off and I slow down and they get popped for speeding. All they had to do was pull right to let people pass.

The concern is, usually, that once they pass, they'll cut back into your lane (ahead of you) and slow down, thus impeding you.  Again, the issue isn't speed, it's "path" and keeping a clear one in front of yourself at all times. If the passing driver maintained their speed after the pass is complete and gained distance from the driver behind, that would be one thing. But many (if not most) will pass, cut back in, and then slow down. As long as they're in the lead, "who cares?"  :facepalm::banghead: Then it becomes a game of "leapfrog."  Very dangerous...