Malsua

ebay ethical question

A few weeks back, I listed an item on Ebay(adobe product unopened), early on, someone put in a bid that held until the last few minutes.  Someone else then bid much higher (nearly double the starting price), but apparently the original bidder had put in a very high original bid, so the original bidder won the auction.  All these bids are still under that actual value of the time.

Upon looking who won, I figured immediately it was going to be an issue.  The winner was a 4 feedback bidder, whose account was account created November 16, 2013.

Time goes by, no payment, no contact, I sent her a note, then filed the non payment routine and eventually the case closed, never hearing anything from the winner.

I relisted the item and guess what...someone bids early on, it's a 4 feedback bidder, created November 27.  Digging through the feedback, I find that the items won are nearly identical as the non payer in the first auction.

I suspect it's the same person.  If she wins, I'll know the name and address and will know one way or another.

My question...if this person does win, should I honor the sale?  I'm thinking of telling her to go take a hike, or just holding her money for a week and then refunding it.

My internal issue is that I really only wanted the starting price, and while it would be nice, I'm not really upset if the bid never goes up but I loathe dishonest people.  These bidders essentially are crowding out other bidders then only paying on bids where they get good deals.

Why i really only do Buy IT Now type sales with Best Offer option, and require immediate payment....

I would cancel that auction...... and redo it....

Make Buy It Now a little higher, and accept offers with immediate payment...... 

Dummy me, I thought the auction ran until tomorrow.  It just finished.

Same thing happened.   Someone bid it up, original bidder won with a high bid.

Different name, different address, both in Boise Idaho, about 3 blocks away.

Sigh.

I generally require in the listing that the buyer have at least 10 positive feedback. If they don't, they must email me with their intent to buy. If they don't email me, I cancel their bid no questions asked. As was said, it's your item, and your sale. Do as you wish.

C

In preferences you can block sellers you don't want to sell to or have a certain number of unpaid purchases.

Yeah, I've got the two unpaid strikes in the settings, but chances are good these accounts had no unpaid.  They're just low feedback shills so the person can play games.

Put in super high bid to guarantee the win and when it's over, if the price isn't agreeable, just don't pay.  Once an account is fouled too much, use a different one.  Rinse, repeat.

I have over 700 plus positive feedbacks on eBay and I personally wouldn't send it to that shady winner!

I've been in that same situation a few times and all you can do is relist it and file or open a case. Let eBay handle it, don't let it bother you. Just move on and relist ASAP. Or put a best offer/buy it now option.

I have over 700 plus positive feedbacks on eBay and I personally wouldn't send it to that shady winner!

I've been in that same situation a few times and all you can do is relist it and file or open a case. Let eBay handle it, don't let it bother you. Just move on and relist ASAP. Or put a best offer/buy it now option.

I did do just that.  Filed a claim and have to wait, yet again.  Same person dicked me twice.

What happens when someone wins and then two hours later they said "I bought this on mistake". And you had a no return on the listing. Can you still force them to go through on the payment?

Just cancel the transaction.   If someone doesn't want to pay, they're not going to pay.   If you were somehow able to coerce them into paying, you can bet there would be a claim through ebay or paypal, and you're going to end up out of your item or your payment or both and all of your time.   A canceled transaction doesn't cost any fees.  You can try a 2nd chance offer with the next lower bidder although I've never had a taker on one of those.

Some links to keep handy in the bookmark toolbar

Cancel bids

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow&hc=1&hm=um.rp73%280de71da

End your listing early -  make sure you cancel the bids first!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

permanently block bidders from your auctions

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Multi feedback postings

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveFeedback2