maintenanceguy

5 Features - Design Your Own Perfect CCW Handgun

Mine would be:

1) Polymer Frame - very light weight, I don't want to know I'm carrying.

2) Super Subcompact - think Ruger LCP, Sig P238, Kahr P380 or similar - easy to conceal and easy to carry.

3) Single Action/Double Action - Can carry hammer down, round in chamber and still fire the first round with just a trigger pull.  Second shot short, light trigger pull.

4) Exposed Hammer - able to de-cock on a full chamber.

5) Beaver tail grip safety similar to 1911.  I want a safety but don't want one I have to fumble with under pressure.

If you could design your own ccw gun, what 5 features would it have?

Closest gun to ideal for me would likely be a Sig P239 SAS, but with a polymer frame for some weight reduction. 

-P239 size is enough for me to get a good grip on it, without being too big or too small.  I've handled some supercompacts, and I cannot imagine holding one properly with my fairly large hands. 

-I also want it to be designed well...  The P239s I have handled didn't feel like a block.  I've never handled a Sig P224, but based on pictures, it seems like a oddly shaped, tiny, uncomfortable, bulky block of a grip.  Same goes for the baby Glocks (other than possibly the 42) have felt too 'big' for what they are to me.

-I like DA/SA with a decocker, it's something I am familiar with owning multiple Sigs.

-Not a .380.  I like options (P239 offers 9mm/.357sig/.40s&w), and I'd be fine if it were also offered in .380 for those who choose that round, but I want a caliber I already have, and trust.

-No external safeties, unless something that will not get in the way like the 1911 grip safety or Glock trigger 'safety'

Wouldn't hurt to have spare reliable mags available to add +1/+2 capacity and a little bit of grip for any carry gun.

1. 3-3.5" bbl

2. Comparable in weight to a compact polymer semi. 

3. Cylinder cut for moonclips

4. 8 rounds (.38/.357)

5. Compact laser grip

In other words, a modded S&W 327 Night Guard w/ a longer bbl.

Too bad they don't make them anymore.

1. Lightweight alloy - Light like polymer, but still metal.

2. Compact size - Neither full-sized nor sub-compact.
3. DA/SA - Carry one in the chamber with no problem.
4. Decocker - No need for a manual safety with a DA/SA pistol.

5. 9mm - More ammo, less recoil.

I think the Sig P228/P229 and CZ P-01 fit my criteria.

3) Single Action/Double Action - Can carry hammer down, round in chamber and still fire the first round with just a trigger pull.  Second shot short, light trigger pull.

If you could design your own ccw gun, what 5 features would it have?

I understand why this is desirable from a functional point of view...but I really, really hate double-action only first shot/single action only follow-up shot handguns.   The radical change in trigger pull from the first shot to the next drives me nuts.

1. 1 round of .357

2. 1 round of .357

3. 1 round of .357

4. 1 round of .357

5. 1 round of .357

I'd like it in a compact revolver package with a shrouded hammer. Blued would be great, stainless is fine.

C