302w

A public service announcement.

Buy a safety razor. I'm referring to the old school metal razors that take a double edged blade.

I guarantee you that these offer a better shave for less money than whatever you're using now, unless you use a straight razor. I spent roughly $30 on a 1953 Gillette a few years ago, and right now I can buy 100 blades for $13 shipped on ebay. Dollar shave club has nothing on me.

Shave quality.. There is no comparison.

I got a cheap disposable blade straight edge for cheap online and see if I could learn it. It's pretty intimidating but if you can take your time you will get the best shave of your life. Now I'm looking to upgrade to a nice classic straight edge which of course are jones$$$ :(

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I prefer old American razors. Currently produced are POS Chinese razors and quality German razors along the lines of Merkur and such. That may be misspelled.

There are two main types of razors. Twist to open, and three piece. They shave about the same and the only difference is how they open. I prefer the three piece because it's easier to clean. TTO has a little knob you twist on the bottom, and the top opens like silo doors. Three piece is self explanatory. I would post pics but I'm on my phone.

There are also open comb and slant bar styles, but I don't know much about them. Standard razors are the slant bar style which is what I use, and this refers to the bit underneath the blade. Again, I would show you the difference but I'm on my phone. I'll get on my pc tomorrow.

As said before, my main blade is a 1953 Gillette Travel Tech. If you search ebay for "Gillette Tech" you can find a zillion varieties. I also use a TTO Gillette that was my grandfather's on occasion.

I don't know much about new manufacture razors. I know Sally Beauty Supply sells the POS Chinese razors for about $10. Classicshaving.com is a popular site that sells many reputable razors in all sorts of varieties.

As for blades, it's wise to try a bunch. They are cheap everywhere, and even the store brands at Rite Aid and Shoprite are quality because they are rebranded Personnas. I like to use blue box Personnas which I get online.

I don't mess with new manufacture razors, which is why I know little about them. What I have works for me, and I think it's cool that my three razors are old as dirt. They work so well that I stopped using shaving cream unless I haven't shaven in awhile. Some people like to use shaving soap and a brush, I just shave when I get out of the shower because my pores are more open.

I think it's kinda funny that I am such a blade guy, and yet I use a Braun electric razor.  I've been interested in getting a straight razor, and I've also been thinking about a safety razor.  One of these days...

I will say when I let the beard grow out and wanna get rid of it, or if I just want a short buzzcut, I have a Oster Classic 76, and that thing cuts through any long hair in one pass. 

I shave my head and just have a goatee so I go through a lot of Gillette disposables - the 5 blade kind. If I didn't think I'd be nicking my head all the time I'd definitely give the old fashioned razor blades a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a safety razor for the first pass of my shave.  It's a Merkur 180 long handle or something.  I use Astra blades that were like 10.99 for 100 on Amazon.  I swap them out about every 4 or 5 shaves.   I don't like using it to go against the grain for the second pass.  I use a Gillette Fusion Proglide for that, but I cannot stand spending $20.95 on 4 packs of razors for it.  I know there is the dollar shave club, but I'm still wondering about the quality of their blades.

I, too, was tired of the overpriced plastic crap. I was also tired of throwing away so much plastic. I switched to DE shaving 6 years ago and have never looked back. DE shaving does have a learning curve, but be patient and you will get a supeior shave.

Check out classicshaving.com

They are an excellent source of supplies and they have some good instructional videos.

I use a Merkur that cost about $40. After the initial investment in a razor, brush and bowl, the cost is next to nothing.

Good advice.  I normally use an electric, but once in a blue moon I will shave with one of the Quattro or whatever the plastic wonders are called.  Being a fan of nostalgia, I gotta see if my Mom saved any of my Dads old school safety razors.  As a lil kid, I was always fascinated to watch him shave with those things. 

I started using a Merkur razor a few years ago and haven't looked back. Once you get the hang of it, you can probably shave in similar time that you could with a Mach 3, etc. the key is finding the blade that your face dislikes the most, for me it's the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow made in Russia. Buy a bulk pack and you'll be set for years

Would a safety razor cut as close as a disposable or disposable head type? I would think when you put something between your skin and the razor aka the safety part you wouldn't get as close.

I have zero knowledge of safety razors by the way. I was under the impression that there is something between the blade and your skin to make it "safe"

How about those of us that shave their whole head? I usually use a fusion with the batterys while in the shower and just go by feel. If i miss any spots on my head I can feel them with a quick relather then just make a couple of passes and my head is smooth.. I am will look into these since I hate paying $40 or so for blades but I would be concerned about cutting my head all up.

When you say disposable, do you mean a straight razors that has a removable blade, or common multi blade razors?

Safety razors are vastly superior to modern crap.

Multi blade razors.

I don't like anything with more than two blades. If I was shaving a back maybe but not for the face.

What exactly makes a safety razor superior

I started using a Merkur razor a few years ago and haven't looked back. Once you get the hang of it, you can probably shave in similar time that you could with a Mach 3, etc. the key is finding the blade that your face dislikes the most, for me it's the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow made in Russia. Buy a bulk pack and you'll be set for years

Are safety blades standard? Does one need to use Merkur blades for a Merkur safety razor?

Are safety blades standard? Does one need to use Merkur blades for a Merkur safety razor?

DE blades are universal.

Respect 2A, they offer a superior shave and you can easily use a new blade every shave if you want. I use a new blade every 4 shaves though. Modern cartridges are too expensive. There is a reason manufacturers keep adding more blades, while DE styles never really changed.

DE blades are universal.

Respect 2A, they offer a superior shave and you can easily use a new blade every shave if you want. I use a new blade every 4 shaves though. Modern cartridges are too expensive. There is a reason manufacturers keep adding more blades, while DE styles never really changed.

Yes but just saying it is superior is opinion, which is fine. However please give me your reasons why you think its superior.

I find that my face has never been irritated by a DE blade. When I used Mach3's I would often get a bloody neck from all of the razor burn.

To be honest, I'm not a shaving expert. I just find that life is better with a safety razor in every fashion and wanted to recommend it to everyone here. I suggest you search online as there are a lot of people who know more than me.

Icarry, I believe it would. I haven't spoken to anyone who didn't like a DE blade.

I get nasty razor burn as well so I might want to try this out. You stated you do recommend the Merkur brand? Any specific model or all good?

I'm going check out that website you mentioned, I was also looking at shavenation on some of their products.

So you start a thread about how we should go buy a safety razor and that you guarantee that we will get a better shave but you can't explain why. Then you tell me that I should go look it up because your not an expert. Ok I'll run right out and buy one...