Jaws

Question for boaters

I don't hate boating, I spend much of my summer on boats, I'm just suggesting that whatever you think it's going to cost, multiply the number by 2 and if you can afford that, you're good to go.

New boats still have their problems...we got a bum trailer that was set up improperly and my FIL damn near lost the works when it started fish tailing wildly at 45mph.   The new Grady is actually about 30 feet from the tip of the nose to the back of the motor and the guys that set it up didn't calculate the weight right.    Had to end up getting a different trailer that cost more...so even after a you think you're all done, spending a boat load of money, you still get smacked with another bill.

Interesting thread.  What about you guys that use the boat pretty much just in fresh water...? I live right around the corner from Manasquan Resovoir, i always think about picking up a smaller center console bass boat.  There is one for sale down the street from me for like $1700..  Still a lot of the same salt-water problems?

Manasquan Resevoir does not allow gas motors, only electric trolling motors (the Rangers are the exception).  That boat might be too much for that small body of water? 

Most newer boats and motors are designed to be used in salt water, as are the electronics. If you wash the boat after use and maybe flush the motors (I think some of the newer outboards have a built in flushing port) there is no reason they should not last decades!  YES, Boating is a very expensive hobby, but if it can be very enjoyable! 

I spend my weekends in the summer at a saltwater Marina on the Bass River.    The amount of money people end up throwing at used boats is insane.   No one, and I mean NO ONE buying a used boat beyond an aluminum whatever with a 15hp or less motor gets away without dumping a whole ton of money into the boat.

Saturday mornings I usually see the part timers in their new(used) boats unloading the toolboxes to work on them.     The salt air destroys everything. 

Mark - We must be on different planets.  I'll agree it's not a pursuit for the poor.  I live on a 28 Albin 3-4 days a week in the summer.  I see maintenance some repairs but what you are stating is not the case.  I do my oil changes, and routine maintenance and I don't see others with decent used boats doing much more.

If you buy junk then you have to deal with it.

Now I do have one neighbor in the marina that has put in more money in his boat for repairs than the boat is worth.  But there were a lot of poor decisions there.

If you buy a decent used boat and maintain it they are fine.

My boat will be 14 years old this year and the diesel has 1500 hours.   I could leave for Florida tomorrow with no worries

I have no issue buying a used gun....

But buying a boat without even hearing the engine run is crazy.....    Even if you dont get it into the water..... ya gotta hear the engine run......  am i wrong?

Sometimes that may not be enough.

I bought a 14' Sea-Doo challenger that I had the seller take up to Hopatcong so I could water test it. It ran great so I bought it. Took it up to my place in the Adirondacks and the second time I took it out the engine failed. completely lost compression and the boat would not plane.  Long story I had to replace the entire engine. The head was cracked and water had gotten in the block. I ended up paying as much for the engine as I did for the boat but it's been running great for 10 years.

I don't hate boating, I spend much of my summer on boats, I'm just suggesting that whatever you think it's going to cost, multiply the number by 2 and if you can afford that, you're good to go.

Something I have related to others getting into boating:

You can start with an estimate of yearly expenses averaging roughly 10% of the cost of the boat.

And as above - it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you estimate.

Ethanol is NOT your friend on the water.

Mark - We must be on different planets.  I'll agree it's not a pursuit for the poor.  I live on a 28 Albin 3-4 days a week in the summer.  I see maintenance some repairs but what you are stating is not the case.  I do my oil changes, and routine maintenance and I don't see others with decent used boats doing much more.

Now I do have one neighbor in the marina that has put in more money in his boat for repairs than the boat is worth.  But there were a lot of poor decisions there.

My boat will be 14 years old this year and the diesel has 1500 hours.   I could leave for Florida tomorrow with no worries

Once you get your boat sea worthy, it tends to stay that way for a while.   When you buy a used boat, you're not in that kind of shape.

We had only some cosmetic repairs on the houseboat (which floated across Rt 9 during Sandy) and we sold the old Grady last spring.  It had stayed upright and attached to the trailer during Sandy so no permanent damage but the plan was to sell it in 2013 and Sandy came along anyway.  Still, after almost 10 years of solid service it needed a bunch of things.  The motor, while reliable really needed rebuilt.  Some of the lights had wiring issues, the bilge pump would overheat and trip if you left it on too long.   The speedo didn't work properly(read slow compared to the gps), the trims never worked right...it goes on and on.   We sold it to a guy and he knew what he was getting into, but he easily spent the purchase price over again getting it back up to tip top shape.

Don't get me started on the Sandy boats.  We had a number of those in the Marina too.   Most of them were good for sitting at the dock.   Cosmetically they were in great shape...the fact that many of them had been pretty much dunked had ruined them.   A 35 footer in the slip next to us was purchased for $2500.   I think the bed worked(after they replaced the mattress), nothing else did.

:fan: