Jaws

Question for boaters

Hey guys,

Looking around right now for a used 19-24' center console boat but don't know that much about boats from a technical perspective. Would be the first boat I own. Any pointers on what I should look for, inspect? Weak points, possible damage etc? Fearing some Sandy boats on the market right now.

Thanks!

Jay

My family owns a small marina and my father sells mostly used boats in the 18-40 ft range.  If you want shoot me a pm and I will give you his contact info.  He has been in business doing this for over 3 decades and wouldn't sell any storm damaged product.  He might not have what you want but he can prob steer you towards it.  

I'm new first post, but I do know the boats you are asking about. It's a load question, first let me ask you, what are you going to do with it? Ocean, bay river? Do you have a family that's going? New or used? Answer some of these questions and then I came help. I went the route of a really good used boat in stead of a lesser new boat.

DonC

I'm new first post, but I do know the boats you are asking about. It's a load question, first let me ask you, what are you going to do with it? Ocean, bay river? Do you have a family that's going? New or used? Answer some of these questions and then I came help. I went the route of a really good used boat in stead of a lesser new boat.

DonC

Welcome!

Looking for an all-round boat, need some room for the family.  Primarily ocean fishing and just some running around the bay. Looking for a used boat for now, enjoy going out on boats now I need to find out if I enjoy owning one.

Im not huge into buying my own boat but a close friend of mine has a wellcraft. I went with him to inspect several other boats prior to his purchase.

We noticied many boat owners don't properly flush the salt water out of the engine after usage which causes some pretty substantial damage over time.

Im not huge into buying my own boat but a close friend of mine has a wellcraft. I went with him to inspect several other boats prior to his purchase.

We noticied many boat owners don't properly flush the salt water out of the engine after usage which causes some pretty substantial damage over time.

This is why you always get a sea trial and survey before purchasing...

Good to know, thanks!

I have been boating for 41 years and have owned dozens of boats, taught the Power Squadron's Safe Boating Class and worked in the retail  boating industry. At this time, I agree with Blake and Tony, shop at a marina for a used boat.  They are not likely to try and pass on a storm damaged boat as they have a business to protect.  I always get a survey and sea trial on all large boats. May not be practical this time of year.  There is a boat show coming up in A/C the first week of February and all dealers there will have a listing of all new and used boats in stock.  I have dealt with Ted (Blakes's dad) for many years and he is a good guy and a straight shooter!  Bought our last two big boats from Comstock and Don (member here) is great to deal with.

Used boat, Used car or Used house, you have to plan on fixing something!  Never spend you entire budget on the purchase, leave something behind for the unforeseeable issues. The last two houses I bought, the water heaters blew out less than a month after purchase, go figure?

What a bunch of BS!

Find what you think is a good boat that will meet your needs and have a professional evaluate it.

If Tony357 could be hired he's the kind of guy you want.

You'll enjoy the boat and it will give you a sense of freedom like no other.

Take a boating course.

Make sure you can afford the maintenance on what you buy.

Enjoy, I've owned a boat all my life.

BTW if you are going to be ocean going in a small boat, pick your days.  She is unforgiving.

What a bunch of BS!

Find what you think is a good boat that will meet your needs and have a professional evaluate it.

Take a boating course.

BTW if you are going to be ocean going in a small boat, pick your days.  She is unforgiving.

Bingo...  

Most of the used boats on the market were hit by sandy. A survey is a must by a good surveyor.. A sea trial with the surveyor is a very good idea i would say minimum 1/2 hour run with at least 20 minutes at cruising speed.

Thanks

Most of the used boats on the market were hit by sandy. A survey is a must by a good surveyor.. A sea trial with the surveyor is a very good idea i would say minimum 1/2 hour run with at least 20 minutes at cruising speed.

What if the sellers boat is sitting on a trailer in his driveway, And its still winterized from the year before. :) 

What a bunch of BS!

Take a boating course.

BTW if you are going to be ocean going in a small boat, pick your days. She is unforgiving.

Thanks, :) heard all the negatives before. I said the same things myself even but I love being out on the ocean and fish. Both my boys get crazy enthusiastic about going fishing with my father in law on his boat. Unfortunately he is in FL . So it's time to get one and see if we also like owning one.

What if the sellers boat is sitting on a trailer in his driveway, And its still winterized from the year before. :)

I wouldnt buy it.....

I used to be a boat owner...... NOT a cheap hobby.  Was just too much for me.  Enjoyed it when I used it.....  but just too much money

My father and I have had boats for many years. It is a fun hobby but like others have said it is a labor of love. Lots to do and upkeep. It is easier to keep it in water if you are going to use it alot so you may want to look into coast for a slip typically 80 + per foot depending on where you are.

Jaws - Catch up to me over the summer and bring the boys.  I have a 28 Albin.  We can discuss costs, maintenance, size and feasiblity for your intended use.

I don't want to volunteer Tony as a resource but he is a wealth of knowledge.

My father and I have had boats for many years. It is a fun hobby but like others have said it is a labor of love. Lots to do and upkeep. It is easier to keep it in water if you are going to use it alot so you may want to look into coast for a slip typically 80 + per foot depending on where you are.

$80/ft is a deal not in my marina...LOL   If kept in a family oriented marina, your boat can be the center of a whole lifestyle.

Jaws - Catch up to me over the summer and bring the boys. I have a 28 Albin. We can discuss costs, maintenance, size and feasiblity for your intended use.

I don't want to volunteer Tony as a resource but he is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks, appreciate it

$80/ft is a deal not in my marina...LOL If kept in a family oriented marina, your boat can be the center of a whole lifestyle.

I agree they can be had for 80 a foot but it is usually a place far from the ocean. I forge what we pay in shark river but I think it is closer to 110 a foot