Sign in to follow this  
Bigsteam

NJ Police attitudes towards 2A

I watched a clip of hoplophobe Piers Morgan interviewing a Sheriff from Florida about the movie theater shooting there. Old Piers tried and tried to get the Sheriff to denounce gun ownership, but again and again the Sheriff told Piers that he was wrong. The Sheriff explained, that in Florida they don't have a gun problem, they have a drug and mental health problem. It was really nice to see someone who carries a gun every day to protect himself from others with guns, sticking up for the truth! It got me thinking about the chances of seeing a Law Enforcement Officer from NJ doing the same thing in a similar situation. I Know that if you ask ten people a question you'll get ten different opinions, but im wondering what the NJ Law Enforcement community's overall opinion on private gun ownership is. As well as the stance on such things as concealed carry, mag limits, etc. Thanks for any input.

I know quite a few cops who are "gun people".  And I know quite a few who could give a shit less until they have a maniac trying to beat their head in with a tire iron.  Then they love guns too. 

Cops are just citizens who decided to choose that career path.  The same cross section of the population that is pro 2A would just be scaled down to those who are police. I'm sure the percentage that are pro 2A cops is very similar to the percentage of retail workers, or gas station attendants or transit workers etc. who are pro 2A.

I watched a clip of hoplophobe Piers Morgan interviewing a Sheriff from Florida about the movie theater shooting there. Old Piers tried and tried to get the Sheriff to denounce gun ownership, but again and again the Sheriff told Piers that he was wrong. The Sheriff explained, that in Florida they don't have a gun problem, they have a drug and mental health problem. It was really nice to see someone who carries a gun every day to protect himself from others with guns, sticking up for the truth! It got me thinking about the chances of seeing a Law Enforcement Officer from NJ doing the same thing in a similar situation. I Know that if you ask ten people a question you'll get ten different opinions, but im wondering what the NJ Law Enforcement community's overall opinion on private gun ownership is. As well as the stance on such things as concealed carry, mag limits, etc. Thanks for any input.

I think you'll find that the further away from the inner cities, in general, the more pro-2A you will find most LE agencies.  It's what I've found. I don't think my local chief would have done all my paperwork in less than 30 days if he weren't at least sympathetic to 2A rights if not downright pro-2A himself. Of course, he has to be "professionally neutral" but, personally, I think he's very pro-2A.

Many more rank and file LE are pro2a than you think.. Its the upper level leadership that give the press conferences and the anti-gun rants.. And thats usually because to attain that rank you have to be a complete yes man for the politicians

^That's it right there.

But, to answer your question specifically, here is what cops think:

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/

When all the legislative stuff was going down last year, I spoke with a detective at my local PD (in a very liberal town.) I wanted to give the chief a heads up about the paperwork nightmare the PD might experience if we had to reapply for our FIDs every 4 years.

The detective was very friendly and neutral, and after chatting with him awhile, I got the sense we were on the same page. Knowing that he had to stay apolitical, I didn't push him.

At the Beth-El anti-gun minute of hate last year, the Union County head sheriff (who was a charming elderly man but a complete dunce) dragged along one of his poor subordinates to man a table displaying the scary evil guns they are fighting. We chatted after the event, and, again while his words were neutral, his true colors shone through. I felt really bad for the guy. During the head sheriff's speech (where he stated that the Newtown shooter had a full automatic weapon,) he outed his subordinate as an NRA member.

I did a small arms familiarization (show and tell) for some of the state police at the Blakeslee barracks last week.  They asked me to bring down some rarities and show them the ins and outs.  All of them were definately Pro 2A, but I haven't had any experiences with NJ. 

Many more rank and file LE are pro2a than you think.. Its the upper level leadership that give the press conferences and the anti-gun rants.. And thats usually because to attain that rank you have to be a complete yes man for the politicians

I'd agree 100% with this.  The "Uppers" are the problem.  The actual LEO's that I've met that are shooters (vs qualifiers) learn the laws on their own.  As far as I can tell there is very little official training in firearms laws.  And with NJ's laws being as screwed up as they are, it makes it very easy that non enthusiast have no idea what the laws are or mean.

Look at the last class of recruits at the Bergen Police & Fire Academy, who started the last weekend of July, that recently graduated. Of the 102 recruits that started there, when asked if any had ever fired a gun before, only 8 raised their hand and affirmed that they had done so. Those same 8 all admitted that they had gained their prior experience in the military. The remaining 94 candidates never fired a handgun or shotgun in their life. Hopefully, their pro-2A leanings will grow as they become exposed to firearms, but prior to the academy, only a handful had any experience or exposure to firearms.

I read somewhere once where Chief Ramsey of the Philadelphia police department said that as many as 75% of their incoming recruits had never fired a handgun before. 

It's a cultural and geographic difference too. Firearms just aren't used or seen much in this neck of the woods.

Look at the last class of recruits at the Bergen Police & Fire Academy, who started the last weekend of July, that recently graduated. Of the 102 recruits that started there, when asked if any had ever fired a gun before, only 8 raised their hand and affirmed that they had done so. Those same 8 all admitted that they had gained their prior experience in the military. The remaining 94 candidates never fired a handgun or shotgun in their life. Hopefully, their pro-2A leanings will grow as they become exposed to firearms, but prior to the academy, only a handful had any experience or exposure to firearms.

I read somewhere once where Chief Ramsey of the Philadelphia police department said that as many as 75% of their incoming recruits had never fired a handgun before. 

It's a cultural and geographic difference too. Firearms just aren't used or seen much in this neck of the woods.

A smart man never volunteers information to avoid the inevitable slap down that follows!  :)

^That's it right there.

But, to answer your question specifically, here is what cops think:

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/

Absolutely correct!  If you plan on getting ahead you need to walk "their" line.......If you don't?  Get used to rolling in that cramped, stinky, ratty patrol car with the rock hard french fries sliding out from under the seat every time you spin around to stop a car!  :)

If you want to get promoted you need to do as the politicians want.  The politicians control the big promotions.  Almost all politicians in NJ are Democrats.  Most Democrats are anti gun.  It is just that simple......Look at the Sheriffs and Chiefs speaking out.  Which States are they from and who controls the political nature of these States?

I have a very good friend who is a retired CO, worked at Rahway for years but did transport later in his career.

He's very pro gun, and very pro civilian gun ownership.

I get the impression that the rank and file are very pro but the top cops like police chiefs and assemblyman charles mainor are anti.

NOT mine, he'll wanna screw u in a heartbeat!

please share detail. Does he just hate civilians owning guns? Not a shooter? Gun is just a tool for the Job?

Just curious because I like to understand the reason behind the opinion, you know? I always ask when that comes up

I live in east windsor and I can say my local PD is fairly pro 2a.  The detective in charge of issuing FID and PPP ( Detective Brian Gorski) is very pro 2a.  We get permits dam fast here.  Usually in less than 7 days. 

On the other hand, I have a friend that is a LEO that is fairly anti.  He told me that I cannot have hollow point at all and he would arrest someone that did have them.  I tried to inform him that he could open himself or his township up to a lawsuit if he did not learn the laws of this state.  It did not go well!

Also, he wont carry if not on duty..  That is weird to me

Ken

i know the cop in my town that did the permits doesn't care really.  the chief thought it was funny i was getting a permit and called my dad to bust his balls.  i also know the chief of a bergen county gun that seems pro gun, brother in law is a cop in a large bergen county town (also pro-2a) and an non-active duty marine (i assume ex-marine would be incorrect) that is a new cop in another bergen county town is pro 2a.  i also know 2 sheriffs in a northern nj county that i don't think really care either way. but if i had to bet, i'd assume pro-2a is more likely with them.  so i really don't personally know any anti-2a cops out of a sample size of 8 or so.