jds560

Barring hand size or illness, point of (semi)compacts in NJ?

Well you are, just not visibly ;P

Good point though.  OP, if you had to answer the door but wanted your pistol with you just in case, what would you do now?

I have a peep hole in my door, doesn't everyone? If I don't recognize the person I don't typically answer. The postal guys all know me. It's not unusal for them to come to my door and see my AK on the floor in the living room. My Hi Power is actually my backup since I typically keep the AK with me around the house.

I have a peep hole in my door, doesn't everyone? If I don't recognize the person I don't typically answer. The postal guys all know me. It's not unusal for them to come to my door and see my AK on the floor in the living room. My Hi Power is actually my backup since I typically keep the AK with me around the house.

Peep holes....baaaad....person outside can see when person inside looks out...quite a few instances where person looking out got a surprise....

As a flower delivery guy i'm usually pretty good at observing if someone's home based on multiple factors from the time I pull in to the moment I knock on your door. Just saying

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Normally I don't see the need for subcompacts, as we can't cc in NJ and are all law abiding citizens. I'd rather have the max ammo capacity.

But if you have a 2nd home in PA, etc...well that's a totally different story. Or maybe you can hide the pistol easier around the house?

Personally, when I lived in NJ for a few decades, I never bought anything smaller than a duty sized pistol which I used for home defense and competition. I never got an out of State carry permit as I rarely traveled out of State. I never needed a gun while living in NYC and NJ and the odds of needing one, for the few weeks I spent out of State, were too small to warrant the bother and expense for both gun and permit. I admit to feeling bemused at fellow gun club members who found any excuse to go to PA just so they could carry their guns. They talked about it a lot and would say how they stopped their car as soon as they crossed State lines to strap on their carry guns. I was bemused then but when I moved to Florida, I went out almost every day, mostly to just be able to carry a gun, break in a new carry holster or feel how a new carry gun carried. I then understood the feeling of freedom from the restrictive laws of NYC and NJ, my former home towns, and a relaxation of concern for situations that I could no longer handle in my old age. I no longer needed the physical strength to fight off a 25 year old miscreant. John Browning made me equal, as well as Sam Colt. :)

I am now fascinated with small carry guns. Most of my guns are compacts or sub compacts. I only own two full sized duty guns. Should I mover back to NJ due under penalty of death (I may choose death though), I would take my duty sized guns and one carry gun, my J-frame. I have now learned that a small gun is very useful for those times when someone is knocking on your door late at night, as a backup to your main weapon or simply to put in a pocket while you sit and watch TV. Sure beats carrying a big gun from room to room or answering the door at 11PM and trying to hide that Beretta FS92 behind my back so that I do not scare the neighbor who needs someone to watch his kids so that  he can take his infant to the emergency room.  A LCP on a neck holster is the perfect way to answer a door at night or provide you with a backup to your primary weapon.

I own a DAO 2" Ruger SP101, which is really a carry gun. For me, it was an impulse buy (found it well below MSRP locally while shotgun shopping).

That said, I'm glad now that I have it as a home gun.

It's easier to carry/stash than my other revolvers, holds just one less round than my other wheel guns and is perfectly suitable for indoor distances, should the need arise.

Also, I have now have a gun I can use for the snub division at Shongum's TV Land Cop shoot, lol.

If I thought that life in NJ was so dangerous that I had to carry a rifle around in my own home, I would move. Wait a minute, I did just that. :) 

The Ruger SP101 is a great gun for NJ. A little too heavy for carry compared to similar guns but good for what you are using it for. As I get  older, I find larger guns too heavy to hold for more than a few minutes. I like guns that are less than 25 ounces now. I also find that they handle better for me. Easier to bring onto target and just generally feel better in my hand.

I like guns that are less than 25 ounces now. I also find that they handle better for me. Easier to bring onto target and just generally feel better in my hand.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about the SP vs my other guns.

If I carried regularly, I'd probably pick up an LCR.

I personally have no real use for a CCW gun at this time.  I do not travel domestically other than to NY - my family lives there and i visit once in a while (well, my in-laws live in PA, but since that is a moot point now, and I go there so infrequently, it doesnt matter).  My first 3 pistol purchases have all been full sized (CZ 75B, Beretta 92A1 and M&P 22).  We do not have children (nor do any come over to our house except on holidays, and i put them all away in a locked closet when they come over), so we have them conveniently stashed around the house, always within relative reach of where we are in the house.  I do not really have any neighbors, and do not really live in a high crime area, so I have never felt the need to carry in the house. 

That said, we do own a S&W 640 (older style, all steel, not the airweight style - my wife bought it years ago, well before I met her) should the need arise, but otherwise, no real need to have a pocket rocket or subcompact gun at this time.  I feel that the full sized guns are decidedly more comfortable in my hands. 

Unless the state changes its CCW laws (lol, yeah right) or we move (not likely anytime soon), I will continue to buy larger sized pistols (maybe not all full sized, but probably not sub-compact or pockets sized) for the time being. 

I realize everyone's situation is different, but for now, this works for me.    :good:

Listen... you don't ever, EVER need a reason to purchase any type of firearm. PERIOD!

Diversify your collection!

You can always create an excuse to purchase something if not for doomsday then you can figure something out.

i own full size pistols, a compact and a sub-compact.

When sandy hit, i carried my PX4 compact on my property, and i realized while doing work and such it was still kinda big, so I picked up something even smaller.. Honestly, if a firearm is of good quality it almost always hits my long list, it's really nice to open your safe and ask yourself.. do i want to challenge myself today with a small size pistol? or do i want to shoot the star out of the target with my full size 1911? I think you can become a much better marksmen when you diversify your shooting and focus more on you then the gun.

Funny how this thread came up again, i have one more permit to use and now i am leaning towards a compact after struggling with the idea (Beretta nano i think). And while I will never get to carry in this state, i really like small pistols, and since i have 4 full size handguns, I dont want more of the same.  i would really like something for home carry.  Even the wife appreciates the idea of home carry now since we have done some Craigslist transaction at home.  JackDaWack made a great point too, even though i doubt i will see another sandy in my lifetime; i can tell you this - my house was not pillaged because i was armed at all times and made it very clear to the bottom feeders looking for stuff to steal.  I dont think that a compact is unreasonable in NJ especially if you have a full-size or two.

For as much as i carry I have moved away from subcompacts. I only carry one as a duty backup now. I prefer capacity when off duty and have a few different guns I carry. Sometimes its my para tac 5, or my xd sc which really isnt that compact and inplan on getting a g19 and g26 in the near future just because the blue label pricing is so good