voltage

Now what do I do?

First let me say that I'm not looking for legal advice. Perhaps a LEO might be the best person to offer advice.

I received a Henry 357 Lever action rifle for Christmas. The wife did it right. She basically told me to go buy the gun and do all the paperwork myself. No need to transfer paperwork, which probably helps this situation. The first time I took the gun to the range I loaded it with the recommended 10 rounds. From the very first operation of the lever I was unable to feed a cartridge into the chamber. Long story short the gun was returned to Henry for repair or replacement. They chose the latter. Replaced my Henry another beautiful firearm and of course a different serial number.

Because we are in Jersey with it such prohibited gun laws is there anything I should do to protect myself? I Still have the original paperwork from the gun dealer and now I have an invoice from Henry stating that my original serial number was replaced for one I have now.

Voltage.....did Henry ship the rifle to an FFL where you picked it up...or did they ship directly to you?...

To forum guys:

if they shipped to him ..who would he get the Coe completed by? Would the dealer he purchased original from have to log it into their book and do another nics and Coe to him to be "legitimate"?

Well - there is the rub!

Henry should have shipped the rifle back to the  FFL that shipped

it to them for repairs (assuming an FFL was used originally)

If the rifles was shipped back to Henry by an FFL - Take the rifle to THAT

FFL and explain that they sent it to you directly, and they should be able to 

get the paperwork corrected for you.....................

I originally called Henry directly and told them of the problem I was having they sent me a shipping label and I shipped directly to Henry myself and turn when it was replaced they shifted directly back to me

I'd think you'd need to take it back to where you bought originally with all paperwork including anything from Henry....and hopefully ffl will set it straight and not become a problem

henry is in NJ. if they shipped direct to you i wouldn't worry about it. they know the laws here and i doubt they would break them. then again IANAL

Agree. Take the original COE and the replacement paperwork from Henry, put it in an envelope and put away with your other gun papers. Then go out and enjoy the rifle.

I agree who knows if it is legal or not, but basically they did it, it's on them if they did something incorrect.  I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Federal law might not even apply here, being as how the gun was never in interstate commerce.  Made in NJ, NJ company, sold in NJ.

If you really want to make sure there wasn't a problem, call Henry and ask.  From what I hear their customer service is very responsive.

I know Kel Tec will just put your old serial number on a new frame if they have to replace the gun.  Of course their guns break all the time so for them it is essential.

My buddy just sent his Stoeger Condor back to Benelli for the third time this year in 4 months for warranty work. This time they call him and tell him its a lemon and not repairable and will have to give him a new gun. They gave him a upgrade for his troubles but they required to ship it to FFL and he has to pay another transfer fees, So I guess you lucked out.

I'm the one who possesses the gun. I will be contacting Henry and my ffl to investigate further. It really does seem to be a great big hassle over nothing I just don't want to be in front of the judge someday trying to explain it. Had to send a Ruger back once to be repaired they fixed it sent back the same one so no problem this will be from DS if I have to pay for the next just