Oleg

fid to look at gun?

The online vendors have a record of what you're buying and are storing this information - lest they be sued by NJ's AG. If they are asking for a copy of your NJ FPID, then they also know about NJ's requirement to store that info indefinitely.

Out of state online vendors are still insulated a little better from NJ's legal reach than FFLs located within state lines.

If NJ wanted to, with one stroke of the pen they could make all in-state FFL's submit ammo purchase records to the state database.  They would have to sue each online vendor (individually) to make them do the same.

Just like them damn stores that wont serve me unless I am wearing Shirt shoes and pants!

I mean, If I want to go into Arbys barefoot, I should damn well be able to ! I mean, there is no LAW against it !

Now I've got an image of Alec with out shirt, shoes and pants.

Make it STOP!

On the practical side, do you want to waste time in showing guns to people that are a long way from being able to buy one. You will probably end up spending a lot of time with window shoppers and the time saved will be worth more than the occasional lost sale. Try to get a car salesman to spend some time with you, without a driver's license sometime. :)

Just like them damn stores that wont serve me unless I am wearing Shirt shoes and pants!

I mean, If I want to go into Arbys barefoot, I should damn well be able to ! I mean, there is no LAW against it !

Now I've got an image of Alec with out shirt, shoes and pants.

Make it STOP!

Of course, the "no bare feet" thing is more likely a concern in re: civil liabilities, not legal ones. If, say, someone were to step on something sharp (a rusty nail, or the like) they could sue the establishment.  I spent a bunch of summers on Martha's Vineyard, starting in the early 60's.  I witnessed the invasion of the "Hippies" up there in the late 60's/early 70's.  Shortly after the onslaught, signage startted popping up in the little shops.... "No bare feet,"  especially after shop owners would find fish hooks and the like on the floors....  :)

As to the OP's original issue, I always carry my FID with me (can't carry anything else of value in NJ :mad:) so it wouldn't affect me much. But, then again, I don't do much "window shopping"  in LGS's, either.   I do my research on the net (gunbroker.com, gunwatcher.com, etc.), and then I go to my NJ FFL and see what he can do. I might do a little window shopping in my FL gun shop, but they don't require any FID for "browsing."

I don't have a problem with owners asking to see your FID...saves the shop keeper from wasting his time on people who cannot even buy.

then forget about the FID unless it's a long gun, why not demand to see a valid P2P as well?

On the practical side, do you want to waste time in showing guns to people that are a long way from being able to buy one. You will probably end up spending a lot of time with window shoppers and the time saved will be worth more than the occasional lost sale. Try to get a car salesman to spend some time with you, without a driver's license sometime. :)

You know... I've NEVER had a single car salesman in the past 20 years I've been buying cars EVER ask me for a driver's license UNTIL I asked to take a car for a test drive. Otherwise they were more than happy to talk my ear off for hours on end.

You know... I've NEVER had a single car salesman in the past 20 years I've been buying cars EVER ask me for a driver's license UNTIL I asked to take a car for a test drive. Otherwise they were more than happy to talk my ear off for hours on end.

Because they can sell a car to someone without a license.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say a relative from Ohio  is visiting and the both of you go to the gun store in NJ. Your relative sees a handgun they want and would like to have it shipped to their local FFL back in Ohio.

But your relative wants to handle the gun and look at it up close before paying for it and having it sent to the FFL in Ohio. So, what happens in this case? The relative, cannot touch the handgun because they don't have an FID?  How do these situations get worked out...or do they? Just curious..

^^The Ohio relative, who hopefully doesn't appear to be a Gang Banger merely identifies himself, plunks his DL down on the counter & inquires of the S and H rates of the store he's standing in.  There it is, NO confusion, NO false pretense, NO "straw purchase".  And NO NJ state sales tax since the item is being shipped to an Ohio FFL.  If the Ohio man or woman has the FFL's info already on their person, like a true collector would, so much the better.........

Some shops welcome these kind of transactions and others deem them a PITA.  Find one that doesn't and bring your relative THERE!

Dave

Hypothetically speaking, lets say a relative from Ohio is visiting and the both of you go to the gun store in NJ. Your relative sees a handgun they want and would like to have it shipped to their local FFL back in Ohio.

But your relative wants to handle the gun and look at it up close before paying for it and having it sent to the FFL in Ohio. So, what happens in this case? The relative, cannot touch the handgun because they don't have an FID? How do these situations get worked out...or do they? Just curious..

You take your relative to RTSP in Randolph. They don't require a FIDcard to handle a firearm. Why? Because there isn't a law in NJ that says they have to require it to handle a gun, and they are honest about it. Many LGS will tell you its the law. But really its just a store policy. I refuse to purchase guns from stores that enact this policy. Many places that I used to buy many guns from have lost many sales from me because of this, once I found out they had been telling me lies about state laws for all these years. When you go into three different gun stores and all of them tell you "its the law" you believe it. Who would then go research wether it was true or not? That's what pisses me off about this subject, I thought I could trust the guys from my LGS. Wonder what else they told me that wasn't true?

Stopped at Heritage of Branchburg to look at what they got and ask question about a good rifle to get for a new shooter, I get the old "Let me see your FID". I did a double take for a sec and then showed my info as the person trying to help me perked up a bit to show me what they had.

Went to RTSP weeks before I had my FID and all the sales people basically handed everything that wasn't nailed down to look at and hold. Great place.

Also another GREAT place where I bought my FIRST is Garden State Armory in warren. Those guys are the best. And they did not look for my FID card til they need it for the computer background check. 10 min later I was all set. 

Nah, that is a South Jersey old wives tale.

The last shop I went to, RTSP in North Jersey doesn't require FID to see/handle a gun prior to purchase. 

Er, they asked me for one about 18 months ago.

that's probably about when the stopped the practice of asking. Search the forum or RTSP1's posts he announced it on here when they stopped asking.

Yeah I sorta remember. Don't care much one way or the other. When you can get 10 years for an infraction that carries no legal consequence nearly anywhere else in this country, asking for a card is doesn't seem like such a big deal. 

The other goofy rule some gun stores have is that you cant even use your cell phone in the gun area.  A guy got a call and he was immediately scolded and told to walk 5 feet out to the archery area.  I asked why and they told me "it could compromise our security".

Was a dinky little place with no special security at all. 

The other goofy rule some gun stores have is that you cant even use your cell phone in the gun area. A guy got a call and he was immediately scolded and told to walk 5 feet out to the archery area. I asked why and they told me "it could compromise our security".

Was a dinky little place with no special security at all.

Some guns stores or that gun store? I've never heard that malarkey before

Some guns stores or that gun store? I've never heard that malarkey before

I know of a shop in PA that doesn't allow cell phones in he store at all.   When I asked, they told me, "We don't want people taking pictures of the inventory on display."

will have to put GSA and RTSP at the head of the list for taking un-washed heathen newbies to oogle all the choices after an enlightening introduction at the range day.

anyone know if Efingers has a no-card-no-touchy policy?

then forget about the FID unless it's a long gun, why not demand to see a valid P2P as well?

i actually had this happen to me at sportsman rendezvous last week. I almost said f it and walked out but I was in a good mood and wanted what he had. I don't think I will go back even if I'm in the area again. The guy wasn't too bad but definitely not friendly.

I;ve had to show FID (or PPP) for every gun I've looked at in NJ starting in the early 90s for whatever it's worth.

Out of state online vendors are still insulated a little better from NJ's legal reach than FFLs located within state lines.

If NJ wanted to, with one stroke of the pen they could make all in-state FFL's submit ammo purchase records to the state database.  They would have to sue each online vendor (individually) to make them do the same.

No they wouldn't. They'd have to threaten to sue the handful of online vendors that are willing to ship ammo to NJ and actually sell ammo to NJ residents on a frequent basis. I'm betting the number of these popular out of state NJ ammo vendors is lower than the number of online cigarette companies NJ got the records from in the early 2000s. I had a number of family members get bills from NJ for thousands of dollars each over that.