Jc0673

South brunswick requires being re-finger printed

I live in south brunswick and they require you to get fingerprinted again if you have not applied for a permit in over 2 years. Was wondering if any one knows if they can do that or if it would fall under the same thing as requiring additional forms to be filled out.

My town does it too (old bridge) I typically apply for at least permit a year just to keep active. (Even if I don't want to buy anything)

Not sure of the legality but a few towns seem to do it .

In Monroe they require re printing every 5 years regardless of activity.

It's one of those things that each township seem to throw at you without rhyme or reason.

It took me about 8 years to get U.S. permanent resident status legally. For the most of those years either me and my wife got fingerprinted at least twice a year. I did some research and turns out fingerprints were stored on a tape. Nobody bothered to retrieve them from tapes unless FBI did a serious research on a specific person. So they requested new fingerprints every time they needed them. I believe it is already fixed though at least with FBI.

There might be a simple explanation to this 're-fingerprinting' issue.

It took me about 8 years to get U.S. permanent resident status legally. For the most of those years either me and my wife got fingerprinted at least twice a year. I did some research and turns out fingerprints were stored on a tape. Nobody bothered to retrieve them from tapes unless FBI did a serious research on a specific person. So they requested new fingerprints every time they needed them. I believe it is already fixed though at least with FBI.

More likely answer... because they can.

Many towns that do not want to deal with guns, will make you jump through hoops.  Ie Jersey City that takes close to a year for some folks to get new FID.

In most cases, once printed, and now electronically, they can just pull up if they need to.

In my town, no additional check if he saw you in last year.  I guess that is the lucky/good part of living in NJ... at least in my town.

My detective who was friend of family retired a few years ago, and was replaced by a younger detective. Very by the book but... he gets out permits same day to references, etc.  Turnaround time around 14 days, sometime less. The funniest part, talking to another forum member, who also happens to be a cop in my town, I find out that the detective handling the firearms stuff is personally anti gun... however during interactions, you would never seem to take that away.

The least amount of permits I applied for was 6 at a time... most was 12. lol. 12 days... they were done. 

At least twice a year sounds like an exaggeration.

I, too was a US permanent resident and I was only fingerprinted twice. Once when I applied for my green card, and once when I applied for citizenship. Both times were done using the livescan machine, one time in Queens (NY) and the other time in Hackensack. They only require the prints for new cards, renewal, removal of conditions and naturalization. 

Maybe if you had another nonimmigrant visa like H-1B or refugee status they'd fingerprint you more often.

More likely answer... because they can.

Many towns that do not want to deal with guns, will make you jump through hoops. Ie Jersey City that takes close to a year for some folks to get new FID.

In most cases, once printed, and now electronically, they can just pull up if they need to.

In my town, no additional check if he saw you in last year. I guess that is the lucky/good part of living in NJ... at least in my town.

My detective who was friend of family retired a few years ago, and was replaced by a younger detective. Very by the book but... he gets out permits same day to references, etc. Turnaround time around 14 days, sometime less. The funniest part, talking to another forum member, who also happens to be a cop in my town, I find out that the detective handling the firearms stuff is personally anti gun... however during interactions, you would never seem to take that away.

The least amount of permits I applied for was 6 at a time... most was 12. lol. 12 days... they were done.

I actually received my initial FID in 30 days in Jersey City a few years ago. That is including the fact that there was an error on my application. Two weeks ago I received two permits in just under two weeks, which doesn't seem that bad. During the post-Sandy craze, I received two in a month. I suppose this is one of those things where YMMV. Also, they always give me a pretty decent time frame of when to call back to check on things.

On topic with the thread, they reprint after two inactive years.

I wish it was exaggeration. Most of the time my case was stuck in different background checks for whatever unknown reason.

Wouldn't surprise me then. USCIS/INS/Immigration/whatever is one horribly incompetent agency. I applied back when they were using strictly paper files and they had to get the paper file from some warehouse in Nebraska. President George W Bush computerized the records and everything went much smoother after that. President Obama allowed some things to be applied for online as well now. When I petitioned for my dad he did a lot of stuff online. 

Apologies for off-topic.
Bush did not really computerized much of processing. For example at some point USCIS introduced online form filling. Turns out they were receiving data online via website, printed forms, and sent them to processing facility just like normal person would via snail mail. At processing facility USCIS scanned forms back into computer database. Filling online did not give you or USCIS any advantage over regular processing at all.
I spent several very miserable years waiting for any kind of decision from USCIS, so I read everything related, especially ombudsman's and GAO's reports on performance etc. There were tons of very unpleasant stories there.

I became citizen last year. This was exceptionally pleasant experience, believe it or not from start to finish. I was very surprised. I guess some positive changes were made in the last several years.

Wouldn't surprise me then. USCIS/INS/Immigration/whatever is one horribly incompetent agency. I applied back when they were using strictly paper files and they had to get the paper file from some warehouse in Nebraska. President George W Bush computerized the records and everything went much smoother after that. President Obama allowed some things to be applied for online as well now. When I petitioned for my dad he did a lot of stuff online. 

I became citizen last year. This was exceptionally pleasant experience, believe it or not from start to finish. I was very surprised. I guess some positive changes were made in the last several years.

Congratulations! It was a GREAT feeling when I took the oath in Newark (the only time I've been to Newark other than the airport, lol). Gives you a sense of permanence, the right to vote and other stuff. For me I really felt like an American and felt that America was now my permanent home. I got a pocket copy of the Constitution, declaration of independence and citizens' almanac which I keep and treasure to this day.

East Brunswick requires it for Pistol Purchase Permits if you got your FID more than 5 years ago...  Go Figure...

What's the story with this changing in light or the recent ruling that towns can not add extra stuff to the permitting process?

What's the story with this changing in light or the recent ruling that towns can not add extra stuff to the permitting process?

That is not adding anything to the process. Perfectly legal - stupid, but legal. It is at the CLEO's discretion whether to require fingerprinting or accept a non-criminal background check (SBI-212A - now electronic) instead.