mcbethr

I no longer trust my Beretta 92FS

OP,

The 92 was designed for the military requiring a different set of parameters than an SD gun. You might want to rethink your choice.

The OP's avatar is a Beretta logo embroidered yamaka..........I rather believe he is aware of that little fact and taken it into account before choosing a particular Beretta for a HD firearm.

The OP's avatar is a Beretta logo embroidered yamaka..........I rather believe he is aware of that little fact and taken it into account before choosing a particular Beretta for a HD firearm.

What's up you butt, Mary Alice? What you "rather believe" is irrelevant. The OP asked a question and I gave him the correct answer. He chose the wrong gun for his application.

What's up you butt, Mary Alice? What you "rather believe" is irrelevant. The OP asked a question and I gave him the correct answer. He chose the wrong gun for his application.

Nicky is it?.... Son,if you had bothered in your haste to access the archives on this forum you would have found that the OP has many years military experience,written extensively on the Beretta 92 and most probably can teach you and I a few things on that particular firearm.

But please let me apologize for basically "setting you up" , I as most of us on this forum take it for granted you've done your homework before calling someone out but so be it..... Cheers.

OP,The 92 was designed for the military requiring a different set of parameters than an SD gun. You might want to rethink your choice.

Nothing wrong about a 92 for a SD gun. If you're talking about the safety, S&W, Walther, Ruger, and other used the same type of safety. I've seen people push up on the slide release on 1911s and Glocks locking the slide open after one shot. Nothing is goof proof.

The 92fs is very cool, but I find it way too hard to rack the slide with a thumb and index finger grip, without covering the ejection port at all. I can do it with my right hand, but only barely with my left. I have no trouble at all with a glock's slide (I don't use a thumb and index finger grip on the glock slide).

The 92fs is very cool, but I find it way too hard to rack the slide with a thumb and index finger grip, without covering the ejection port at all. I can do it with my right hand, but only barely with my left.

Apparently there are other options, outside of the slingshot method, that work for some people:

What different set of parameters?

Why? Enlighten me.

Whoa, Didn't mean to cause a fight.

I honestly do love all things Beretta.  I wish I had never gotten rid of my PX4 - which was my HD gun.

I have spent 20 years in the military and about 25 years shooting total.  I know a thing or two about the Beretta 92FS, which is why this scared the crap out of me.  If it could happen to me - it could happen to anyone.

I've often felt that the best gun for home defense is the one you are most comfortable with.  If you are a Russian immigrant, you may be very comfortable with a AK type rifle.  If you are older with arthritis, a revolver may be more your speed.  If you are the Vice President, a double-barred shotgun could work.  If you breath through your mouth, a Glock may be a good choice.  If you light your cigars with $100 bills, you may be more comfortable with an HK.  If you dress impeciablly well and date Italian supermodels, then a Beretta may be more your speed.

I took the gun to the range last weekend at Ft. Dix and put 100 rounds through it - I didn't have a single problem.  And I was shooting 5 rounds at a time - forcing myself to rack the slide with the safety on using that "rollover and grasp" grip.

My only concern is that when I flicked the safety on Thursday I did it it was under stress and after not shooting it for about 6 months - my new Colt Official Police Revolver has gotten a lot of love since I bought it a little while back.  

So what does this mean?  It means I need more training and it was incredibly stupid of me not to train with my home defense gun for 6 months while I shot my revolver.

It may take a while until I am comfortable again, but the Kel Tec PF9 is staying on the nightstand for now.  I'd rather have 8+1 rounds I know will work than 15 that may not work under stress - at least until I can shoot some more and get my confidence back.

And of course, this never would have happened if I had bought a Glock, Sig, M&P or XD... but then again Elisabetta Canalis would never have had dinner with me if I had done that.

No fight on my end. I just wanted to see if he could back his statements up with facts. Of course, he couldn't.

What happened to you can happen to anyone using a pistol with a slide mounted safety. When I first started at my PD we were issued S&W 4013TSW that had its safety mounted on the slide. It got knocked to the "safe" position quite a few times in training, especially when guarding against grabs or training weapon retention. The fix, (before going to Glocks :rofl:) was to train to use the slide lock/release when conducting a speed reload and to add a tactile check of the safety to your reload and malfunction reduction drills. Now you know too and you are prepared. Drive on.

More importantly, you need to review your overall malfunction reduction plan.

The gun didn't go click or bang. Malfunction, right? So I racked the slide again. And then again.

You get anything other than a bang you go directly to immediate action (non-diagnostic): Tap, Roll/Rack, Assess.

You get a second no-bang, you go to remedial action (diagnostic): Lock, rip, rack, reload - only now you know that a check of the safety is also indicated with your remedial action.

OP, I'll be honest I didnt read every post in this thread but you didn't feel the mush trigger of the safe Beretta and know that it wasn't a misfeed? Honest question not being a tool I have an M9 and I know you have way more time on this platform than I do.

I'd equate it almost to malfunction drills on an ar

First time I went shooting, my friend had (still has) a 92FS. When we were ready to pack up, and he was clearing it, the gun went off. He had a ND with it because his finger was on the trigger. Thankfully the safety between his ears was engaged and the gun was pointed downrange. 

Don't depend on mechanical safeties. The safety between your ears is the best. 

the answer to your italian engineering problems in german engineering perfection (sig sauer). sure the berettas look good and all, but if you know anything about italians they are very emotional and picky. germans may not be the prettiest thing but they work. and when you think they are gonna stop working they show up for overtime.

OP, I'll be honest I didnt read every post in this thread but you didn't feel the mush trigger of the safe Beretta and know that it wasn't a misfeed? 

Honestly I was under stress and didn't feel it.

It's science!

He pulls the gun back really fast, then suddenly pushes forward.

The heavier slide keeps moving backward, while his hand & the frame change direction.

It's probably almost impossible with a 92, even with the hammer cocked.

That said, I'll be getting a shoulder workout tonight trying to replicate.

It's science!

He pulls the gun back really fast, then suddenly pushes forward.

The heavier slide keeps moving backward, while his hand & the frame change direction.

It's probably almost impossible with a 92, even with the hammer cocked.

That said, I'll be getting a shoulder workout tonight trying to replicate.

Please...I get the science....but there has got to be modifications made to the gun.....lighter return spring,weighted slide,trimmed rails , hell Sexwax perhaps . I have a heavy ass CZ and a G19 and no amount of Ninja'ing is going to rack their slides in that manner.

hahahahhha on the floor right now and i dont even think its suppose to be funny. I saw some of them have lighter springs, either way i dont see my self "ninja cocking" anytime soon. could be useful if you ever have one hand, but wouldnt you want to lrack it off your thigh or belt something like that?