MartyZ

Anyone want a bearded dragon?

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, mods please move it to the appropriate forum if this is not it.

I am giving away a bearded dragon, approx. 1.5 years old.  Includes 29 gallon tank, top, lights, etc...

The only requirement is that you come and pick it up in manalapan.

20140715_144902_zpsf9ec24ea.jpg

Is that the kind of lizard they were warning was giving people herpes or something? There was a warning about a lizard a couple months ago. I just tried looking it up and didn't find it.

I think those were only those lounge lizards.

People fail to realize that on the average day humans have more salmonella on and in their body than any reptile. Its a good idea to wash your hands after any contact with any animal, especially humans.  

Warning from CDC about Salmonella Cotham and Bearded Dragons April 2014.http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/bearded-dragon-lizards-infect-132-salmonella-n89146

I stand corrected, its salmonella not e-coli. This is not new news though. But the only reason im getting rid of it, its my sons pet and he doesnt take care of it.

All pets can give you salmonella , ecoli , whatever. If a reptile does a poocasso in his cage and it gets on him , then you handle him.. our pythons eat rats. Rats in , rats out. Just be diligent about cleaning the cage ( as you should be for their comfort anyway ) , wash your hands after handling them ( and before , we can give reptiles infections too) , and you will be good to go.

Just as an aside - it is a common error because pet stores , especially the big chain ones , are clueless - but , sand is the worst substrate for reptiles. They can ingest it , it can cause impaction , and it is also the germiest. The best substrate is paper towel, newsprint , or butcher paper. You can also get these things called repti-carpet which looks like sand or grass . Make sure it is the kind without loops otherwise their claws can get stuck. You have to wash and dry them though , paper is much easier.

Glad he found a home , I would love to have him but with 3 big dogs , 3 little kids , and 2 big snakes I would become an instant single mom/pet owner if I brought one more thing into the house.        

Irishpeteswife- You are half correct on the sand being bad. Man made sand is bad, very bad. it is made by being crushed, so when you look at under a microscope its sharp little jagged pieces that when ingested will cause blockages and perforations. But natural sand is made from erosion so when looked at under a microscope its round smooth pellets that will pass right through the GI of any reptile. Yes sand can harbor germs and bacteria but it can also be washed clean and baked dry in an oven so it can be reused. I used to breed bearded dragons for years, in fact I was the first person in NJ with "Sandfire Gold" Dragons for sale that I got direct from sandfire dragon ranch. All my desert dwelling reptiles are kept on a natural sand or sand and stone mix. While the paper is much easier I like a more natural look to my reptiles habitats and with a little work its just as clean   

You gave up your balls for marriage? Du DUH DUH! :)

Snakes are usually only weighed/depicted by weight in grams. By breeders and collectors at least. No idea why. Anyway , our two are about 3 and 4 feet long if I had to guess.

I had a 15 foot Albino Burmese Python when I was a teenager , several nasty bitey pine snakes , a Transpecos rat snake , a few California Kings.. Rainbow Boas , tons of garter snakes and milk snakes.  My poor mother...