Babyface Finster

Rock from dump truck breaks windshield - what to do

My wife just called, a rock from a dump truck broker her windshield while travelling on route 80. She called the trucker and he gave her some BS, then told her to file a police report. She's on her way to do just that.

What is the best way to handle this? We've had the car for less than a year and I'm not too keen on paying for this myself. The windshield will fall below my deductible, so insurance will be of no help. We do not have specific glass coverage.

Usually they trucking companies are good with that......

That's what I've always heard, but she says the guy she talked to gave her some BS about the truck being unloaded heading west. I've probably lost 10 windshields this way, but they are all company cars and I've never had to do more than call Safelite. The fleet administrator always handles the rest.

Just what I needed today...

She might be lucky to have caught the phone number from the truck, most would not have.  If the company is nice they will help you out, but they might not.  Even if she files a police report it is sort of she said he said unless there is some other witness.  For many years I have carried zero deductible on comprehensive to pay for stuff exactly like this.  While such a deductible is crazy expensive for collision damage, you would be surprised how cheap it really is for comprehensive.  I have had dozens of windshields replaced over the years for exactly this at no cost to me.  Check with your insurance company what it would cost to get zero or perhaps $50 deductible for this for the future.

Once you file the Police report (hopefully you have the lic plate number, truck number, ect.)

then you can call the trucking company and ask them to pay for the repair in lue of you reporting

it to your insurance co.

More ofeten that not, the Trucking company will make good..........

Nowadays many large trucks have signs on the rear door of their trucks stating "not responsible for broken windshields." I think they have gotten tired of compensating people, which I feel they should but I think those not responsible signs deny their responsibility.

Good luck nonetheless.

I just had a 2nd windshield broken by a truck leaving the Mt. Hope Tilcon quarry. Last time the State Police wanted me to sit and wait for them on the side of Rt 80 (with my two kids in the back) to file a report, or go to the barracks later. The truck sped away faster then I cared to drive with my kids in the back. If you get the tag number and file a report, there is a chance that the trucking company might pay, good luck with that. It is really annoyng and not at all right that the truckers get away with dumping rocks on the highways and then get away without paying.

The rock was kicked up from the highway or fell off his load? If the company isn't being helpful best bet is just see if a junkyard has a windshield. This happened to me on the helix of the Lincoln tunnel ..truck company denied missing any large metal pieces of trim off their trucks. We brought it in to Geico for repair and it did not meet the deductable but Geico replaced all of our car seats for new ones. Nice ones too . I have no idea why .  

Nowadays many large trucks have signs on the rear door of their trucks stating "not responsible for broken windshields." I think they have gotten tired of compensating people, which I feel they should but I think those not responsible signs deny their responsibility.

Good luck nonetheless.

I have never seen such a sign. I have seen signs that say, "keep back 200 feet" or "construction vehicle, do not follow"

I try to keep my distance. 

If it comes off the truck and hits the windows insurance will cover it. If its kicked up off the road "no tickie no laundry"! Make sure she insists the rock fell of the top of the truck! Been there a few times myself with Mt. Hope and Rainbow Transport both have smashed my windshield. I pull them over when it happens and call the state police. I had one jerkoff that barely spoke English outright refuse to show me an insurance card. I stood in front of his truck on the side of rt 80 till the cops showed up.

What does where the rock came from have to do with insurance? I've never had my insurance company ask where a rock came from that broke my windshield. I just tell them I have a crack and they send a guy to my home or office or even once to a train station and they replace it.

What does where the rock came from have to do with insurance? I've never had my insurance company ask where a rock came from that broke my windshield. I just tell them I have a crack and they send a guy to my home or office or even once to a train station and they replace it.

Ohh your insurance company will pay regardless. some have a deductible for broken windshields and some don't, depends on the carrier. The trucking companies insurance company won't pay unless it falls off the truck, thats what I was talking about. Why turn it into your insurance if they legitimately broke it. Last time I got a quote from safelite for $380, they sent me a check for that amount. I took it to Roxbury Auto wreckers and spike had a brand new windshield installed by a mobile glass guy he uses for $150. I bought ammo with the remainder. I figure they owed it to me being without my truck for a day and having to do all the repair estimate legwork.

How bad is it? I got hit in my old car, and the windshield had a chip/hole in it.

My mechanic friend told me Crazy Glue seals those holes and does just as good a job as the professional stuff, and is enough to pass inspection.

As for dealing with it, I'd say contact the trucking company if you have the info. If you have to get the police or courts involved, I highly doubt anything will get done.