Worn_Holster

Age a child may participate in shooting sports in NJ

I've seen children as young as 5 shooting under the supervision of their parent. Every child is different, its up to the parent/guardian to know when they are ready. My boy started at 10...my girl will prob be ready when shes 8 or 9.

For indoor ranges , NRA says age 8 and up with plugs and muffs. Outdoors , or if it is only .22 indoors? Your judgement call. I started my daughter at 5 , Rosey ( Smokin .50 ) had us in the indoor OB range all to ourselves with his now grown son's Little Buckaroo. Some kids are ready at 4 ..some are not ready at 10 lol

Sandy covered it.  And the ONLY reason we brought her daughter to the indoor range is because I knew it was a Ghost Town on a beautiful day, with everybody shooting a League at the outdoor range.

I started my son when he was just 4 years old.  With the aforementioned Youth Model .22 Marlin Little Buckeroo bolt-action single-shot placed onto the notched bean bag rifle rest so all the boy had to do was follow safety protocol and breathe and SQUEEZE.

In regards to the unfortunate tragedy in the news involving the nine year old, I must come down on the side of common sense and say maybe the Instructor paid for his mistake with his life.  Condolences to all of those involved, especially the nine year old!  What were the Parents thinking?  Why did the Instructor allow it?  A true tragedy!

That all being said, I have NO problem with training kids to shoot 3-Gun.  Ms. Kaitlyn Francis has a You-Tube video of herself handling automatic fire from a 5.56mm onto USPSA targets using a controlled burst, and then proceeding to her 12 ga. and then her Glock 9mm.  Kaitlyn was 12 or 13 at the time of that 3-Gun Match........and she was safer (and shot it better, cleaner AND faster) than probably most of the Keyboard Commandos that hang here on this forum, lol!

Let's all hope that it won't take an Ebola outbreak on US soil to knock the trgedy off the front page of every newspaper in the Country..........

Dave

Shootist

I was at the range on Wednesday before work and there was a guy and his daughter (she could have been 9-11 years old) was shooting a .22 single shot.  Heard the dad ask the RO during a cease fire what the age limit was for pistols and the RO said its his (the parent) discretion.  The father wanted to allow the little girl to fire his 9mm pistol.  He added to the RO that he would only load 1 round at a time for her and the RO hung out and helped give some pointers.  I will be starting my son this year with a .22 single shot.  He is only 7 but he BEGS to just come to the range and watch when I go so I think it is time! 

I was probably 9-10 when I started also with a .22 bolt action marlin (still have it). I also remember around the same time going to scout camp and earned my marksmanship badge with a .22cal rifle. Got my hunting license at 10 and my Step dad bought me a Mossberg 500 for Christmas that year, I got it two weeks early for 6 day. He had to customize the stock for my hand and shouldering, he built fine furniture and kitchen cabinets for a living so it came out nice. (Still have that gun also). Its really all about the kid, some are ready sooner than others. Some are never ready. Guns aren't for everyone I guess, some kids got it and some don't.

Daughter first shot a pellet gun at 4 - with Dad helping her hold it.  She shot her first .22 at 5.  She was a very calm, attentive kid who I knew could listen to rules and follow them.

My Son was a different personality.  Good kid but didn't have the attention span my daughter had.  He was 6 before he was ready to shoot with Dad helping.  He's almost 8 and Dad still helps hold the pellet gun.

Daughter's now 14, amazingly responsible, and takes the 10/22 or Buckmark into the back yard to shoot targets, cans, or steel gongs on her own (within sight of Dad)

My buddy had his stepdaughter out at like 6 with her mother's consent. When/If I have kids they will get pop guns at 2 and I will start the teaching process. Hopefully by 5 they will be able to handle themselves in a range with a 22. Its never to young to stay teaching them proper safety. But it's a case by case basis when they are ready to start live fire.