Howard

Looking for opinions on Subaru Forester or Outback

So here is a question: What are you looking for in a vehicle? First draw the list of must have, then the list of nice to have, then the list of must not have, then the price limit. Then look at every vehicle that matches you requirements in the of those requirements. Eliminate everything that doesn't match, research the crap out of whats left, then drive the ones that make sense. 

Thanks Vlad.  That is excellent advice for most people looking for a vehicle.   I am a very strange car shopper.  I like luxury, utility, and fuel economy - three things that generally don't go together.  Few understood how I once made a choice between an Infinity J30 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee - the Jeep won that time.  Most recently I got rid of my big 740 BMW for my current Prius.  What really determines things for me is just what I happen to "like" at the moment.  Makes it very hard as there are no real constraints nor requirements.  Actually maybe I am consistent as it looks like I once considered a nice sedan versus a 4WD SUV type vehicle and seem to be in that quandary yet again :)

Thanks Vlad.  That is excellent advice for most people looking for a vehicle.   I am a very strange car shopper.  I like luxury, utility, and fuel economy - three things that generally don't go together.  Few understood how I once made a choice between an Infinity J30 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee - the Jeep won that time.  Most recently I got rid of my big 740 BMW for my current Prius.  What really determines things for me is just what I happen to "like" at the moment.  Makes it very hard as there are no real constraints nor requirements.  Actually maybe I am consistent as it looks like I once considered a nice sedan versus a 4WD SUV type vehicle and seem to be in that quandary yet again :)

Ha ha! Sounds like my last car shopping project! My choices were a BMW 335i xDrive and a Nissan Frontier. Frontier won. 

More relevent, my wife drives a '12 Forester and it's a great car and holds a good amount of stuff. Great in the sloppy stuff, though the AWD adversely affects MPG. I've had 3 Subies (Brat, Legacy and now Forester) now and all were/are solid vehicles.

My wife does something like that when car shopping....

Must have list

Would like to have list

etc.....

when i went shopping for my gt, it started off with the cool/groovy looking options as must have. it ended with the performance options as must have, andf that's what i got. i'm glad. stupid fast car on rails with brakes good enough to launch my eyeballs onto the windshield that's in a plain wrapper.

Figured I'd weigh in as a Subaru owner. I have a 02 WRX with 124K, and a 11 Outback 3.6R Limited with 40K.

The WRX after year one was modified and is pumping out an additional 80HP+ over stock... verified on a dyno. So far besides maintenance, it needed a steering rack and alternator.

The Outback has been solid with no issues. Neither make motor oil vanish away (wish I could say that about my Infinity G35). Neither are leaky.

The Outback has a computer that tells you MPG, it says it gets 26-30mpg normal highway 70mph speeds, and around 16-19 city stop and go depending on how much lead is in your foot. Nothing spectacular, but nothing unusual.

I'm a Subaru guy because I like their track record and mechanical engineering that they put into the car, especially the symmetrical AWD and handling (both inherent mechanical and computer assisted stability). To me, this equates to predictable handling especially in emergencies and inclement conditions. The Outback has great utility in terms of cargo area and ground clearance (equal to many larger SUV's).

There are many types of AWD systems out there, its good to read up on them and understand how they all work .... if that is important to you. For instance, back in 11' I test drove some competing vehicles, and some of them said AWD ,but in reality they were FWD with a small gearbox that transferred some power to the rear if the front slipped. This equated to the front wheels spinning out with a delay before the rear kicked in. I did not like that at all.

Whatever you test drive, really put it through its paces with some emergency maneuvers in an empty parking lot. Crank the wheel and floor it from a stop, do some simulated emergency lane changes and slalom type maneuvers. See how it reacts.

When it comes to reliability, with all things said, I firmly believe any top brand Japanese car will last a good long time provided it gets its proper maintenance.

Good luck on your quest!

I just bought a used 2014 Legacy. With 9 k on it. I now have 16k on it. It replaced an accord which was great but at 200k it was time for it to go.

I bought it for the AWD. So far I like it. The tires are bad in the rain when dealing with puddles at HWY speed. the ride is just a touch jumpy. My mostly hwy milege is between 30 and 32 MPG @ 70+ MPH.

The car feels the road good and feels solid with an excellent line of vision. It has great leg room. Merging onto the HWY can be an adventure when starting from a complete stop.

Once at speed its nice though. The tranny is very smooth. Really the only knock I have on the car so far is dealing with the dealer when buying it. They have such a following(like a cult following) its really really hard to get them down in price. But I wanted the standard 100 k mile warrenty that comes with a certified used subaru so I just delt with the beating you get.lol

I keep my cars till around 200k so I do my reasearch. They are #1 in crash test results have a great track record on repairs and there AWD system is tried and true.

http://youtu.be/ooQRxlChvMw

Interesting comparison of Subaru AWD verses several other popular crossover SUV's. It's a bit dry and it's a few years old now, but worth a watch.

I can tell you from real world experience, reinforced as recently as the day before thanksgiving that Subarus and full size trucks with real 4wd are your best chance to get home.  The snow on that day was heavy and slick and there was a line of cars at the bottom of the hill just past the range on Canistear road.  No FWD were making it up the hill at all.  I drove up it in my Subaru and while the Traction control popped on a few times, it climbed it without any drama.  Other vehicles were trying the side to side thing and most couldn't get past half way and ended up backing down.  I do run a great all season radials, (Continental Extreme contact DWS) but they aren't snow tires.

I can tell you from real world experience, reinforced as recently as the day before thanksgiving that Subarus and full size trucks with real 4wd are your best chance to get home.  The snow on that day was heavy and slick and there was a line of cars at the bottom of the hill just past the range on Canistear road.  No FWD were making it up the hill at all.  I drove up it in my Subaru and while the Traction control popped on a few times, it climbed it without any drama.  Other vehicles were trying the side to side thing and most couldn't get past half way and ended up backing down.  I do run a great all season radials, (Continental Extreme contact DWS) but they aren't snow tires.

Judging by your posts, I'm guessing you're a 4th gen Legacy GT owner.

Growing up in Maine my parents always had Subies. I hated them growing up because they were "uncool" but they got us everywhere we wanted to go in every weather. Canoe trips, ski trips, snow storms and they kept going. Go to any grocery store north of Kittery and all you see is Subarus and full size trucks.

Now. I'll also say that when my wife was looking for a car we looked at them again. We couldn't afford the outback, which was nice. The Forester was an old ladies car.

I'm partial to jeeps and trucks.

I am thinking of getting one of the above and was wondering if anyone here has a newer one and could offer some opinion both good and bad.

Get one. They -are- good cars. My sister has had two over the many years with more than 300K on the first one and working her way towards that on this one. I love my diesels but I'm seriously considering getting a 'ru when my truck dies.

Well I actually ordered something today, and went a totally different direction.  Ended up going with a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with every single option.  I test drove it for about 20 miles and was very please with the way it handled, was super comfortable, and got better than the suggested gas mileage.  They were also willing to give me a good deal on it and actually gave me decent money for my '02 Prius while nobody else would even consider giving me anything for it.  While it does not get quite the mileage of the Honda I was more comfortable in it and it was a good bit cheaper.  Further it has a much better warranty and they actually warrant the Hybrid battery for for life, while the best anyone else does is 10 years or 100K miles which ever comes first.

Well I actually ordered something today, and went a totally different direction.  Ended up going with a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with every single option.  I test drove it for about 20 miles and was very please with the way it handled, was super comfortable, and got better than the suggested gas mileage.  They were also willing to give me a good deal on it and actually gave me decent money for my '02 Prius while nobody else would even consider giving me anything for it.  While it does not get quite the mileage of the Honda I was more comfortable in it and it was a good bit cheaper.  Further it has a much better warranty and they actually warrant the Hybrid battery for for life, while the best anyone else does is 10 years or 100K miles which ever comes first.

Hyundais are much better since 2000. You'll be happy. Everyone I know with an Elantra or Sonata have been happy with it. Good luck and many miles with her!