Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Columbia Journalism School Seminar: How To Report On Gun Violence

Bloomberg is funding the project. We may have to request a rename to 'Columbia School Of Propaganda'. If it wasn't already. Anyone want to apply?

http://dartcenter.org/content/apply-now-southwest-workshop-on-covering-guns-gun-violence#.VLaEyCvF-Sr

Wait, I thought journalists are supposed to be unbiased?

That is, unfortunately, not the current school of thought. The mantra went from "does this affect myself, my family, my community, my country, and what do they need to know?" to "what effect does your reporting have on the community or nation." Increasingly journalism as a matter of instruction sees a neutral point of view as a negative thing. If they haven't gone that way, they have gone the way of "news is business, and this is how the industry works."

Wait, I thought journalists are supposed to be unbiased?

That used to be how journalist worked, now they see how much they can trump up the story to make you read it. My wife didn't belive me until there was an incident near her job. When she read the story in the paper the next day, she showed me at least 6 parts of the story that were fabricated.

My email:

Dear ​

Ms. Black,

I'm curious about why covering gun violence presents any more challenges than reporting on bludgeonings, stabbings, or vehicular homicide.

​ Particularly since the former tend to follow one or two well-known scripts.​

Also:

​"...​

incidents of gun violence are too often viewed in isolation as random, inevitable tragedy rather than part of a wider phenomenon with complex causes but amenable to prevention efforts.

​"

​What does a reporter's perspective on the sociology of gun violence have to do with news reporting? Are you suggesting that every gun murder news story begin and/or end with an editorial reflecting the perspective of the notoriously misinformed Everytown for Gun Safety?

The principal cause of gun violence is clear: Career criminals with long arrest records for violent crimes are let out of jail and return, for the most part unsupervised, to civilized society. Give me a database of the last 5000 violent predators released from New York jails and I will provide you with 50 future murder suspects, not to mention 3000 future assault, rape, and robbery suspects. 

And I guarantee that not one of those individuals will belong to the NRA, donate to 2nd Amendment causes, take formal training firearms training once or twice a year, or be a member of a sporting club or gun range.

Sincerely,

Newtonio Mangamozzarella

My email:

Dear ​

Ms. Black,

I'm curious about why covering gun violence presents any more challenges than reporting on bludgeonings, stabbings, or vehicular homicide.

​ Particularly since the former tend to follow one or two well-known scripts.​

Also:

​"...​

incidents of gun violence are too often viewed in isolation as random, inevitable tragedy rather than part of a wider phenomenon with complex causes but amenable to prevention efforts.

​"

​What does a reporter's perspective on the sociology of gun violence have to do with news reporting? Are you suggesting that every gun murder news story begin and/or end with an editorial reflecting the perspective of the notoriously misinformed Everytown for Gun Safety?

The principal cause of gun violence is clear: Career criminals with long arrest records for violent crimes are let out of jail and return, for the most part unsupervised, to civilized society. Give me a database of the last 5000 violent predators released from New York jails and I will provide you with 50 future murder suspects, not to mention 3000 future assault, rape, and robbery suspects. 

And I guarantee that not one of those individuals will belong to the NRA, donate to 2nd Amendment causes, take formal training firearms training once or twice a year, or be a member of a sporting club or gun range.

Sincerely,

Newtonio Mangamozzarella

Wow- great response, let us know if you receive anything back!

"How to properly report on car-related incidents and safety recalls of Japanese cars"

Class funded by a generous grant from Verband der Automobilindustrie e. V.

Well at least this is how I see such a class/course funded by that Bloomberg's association...