Samdjr74

Need some ideas in a new revolver

Yeah. That was then and still now. I remembering reading an article last year about the ceo making sure they brought the name back......didn't happen.

It's a great low cost, value gun but no where near what a s&w or even a gp100 is.

I'd take joe up in the gp100 for the 450 he's asking. It's a decent deal.

Fair enough, we all have opinions, for me the feel, fit and finish of the gp100 was better then the 627 I tried.

What is "fit and finish"? And where does it fit in the scale of necessary features for a handgun?

Shouldn't accuracy, reliability, reputation, and other qualities of that nature take precedence over "fit and finish" when buying a gun?

Fit and finish is what gun mags compliment when they are reviewing a gun that won't run. It's the firearms equivalent to "but she's got a great personality".

Ok, so I'll take another look at S&W. So far the revolvers I can afford, I just don't like. The ones I do like however from S&W are well above my price range. For instance the 929 is appealing but the price is too high for me. The 686 in a 6" barrel could work as well, but again the price is up there.

I will however look at a few more S&W's, maybe there's one that feels my requirements and feels good in my hands.

Thanks,

Sam

What is "fit and finish"? And where does it fit in the scale of necessary features for a handgun?

Shouldn't accuracy, reliability, reputation, and other qualities of that nature take precedence over "fit and finish" when buying a gun?

Fit and finish is what gun mags compliment when they are reviewing a gun that won't run. It's the firearms equivalent to "but she's got a great personaliOk, let me rephrse

Ok, let me rephrase, when I compared a ruger to a S&W, I felt that the ruger felt more solid, better finish and in general a nicer looking gun. Sure, accuracry and build quality are number 1, however a well made gun should encompass all of this. I feel for the money, the build quailty and feel of the ruger is better then the S&W at the same price point.

Ok, let me rephrase, when I compared a ruger to a S&W, I felt that the ruger felt more solid, better finish and in general a nicer looking gun. Sure, accuracry and build quality are number 1, however a well made gun should encompass all of this. I feel for the money, the build quailty and feel of the ruger is better then the S&W at the same price point.

my smith 686 is pretty rough externally, the taurus is externally machined alot nicer.. i had a thread on here comparing the two..

I'm not sure how much humor is in the post, I hope a lot.

As I mentioned before I target/sport shoot, so that's the main use of the gun. As far as having a permit to "burn" here's the story. I had my eye on 3 guns, a Taurus Tracker 990 which I ordered already, a Chiappa Rhino 50DS and the third was going to be a H&R Sportmens 999. The H&R was going to be a challenge to find as it hasn't been made in some time so I wanted the permit handy when I found one. It turns out a friend of mine owns one. I gave it a try and really didn't like it so now I have a third permit to use. And it's not just a loss of $2. If I don't use the permit and need to request another one at a later date it's $22, $2 for the permit and $20 for the background check. So I figure I have the permit I might as well use it.

Well, we did use a little humor there in hopes of straightening you out some, but alas, you've been struck with "Dipshititis", that rare gun buying disease that won't let you listen to Shooters of known ability (myself, HE, Alec, Bob, etc.).  Spending $400-$800 on a POS and then deciding to sell it later and take a several hundred dollar loss on it makes more sense than spending $20 on a mental health check?  Yep, I've done what I can so you are free to go.  Enjoy that next purchase.

And what "POS" would that be, the Taurus which I've shot a few times in the past and really enjoyed, the Rhino which feels great in my hand and has some great reviews or the gp100?

Well, we did use a little humor there in hopes of straightening you out some, but alas, you've been struck with "Dipshititis", that rare gun buying disease that won't let you listen to Shooters of known ability (myself, HE, Alec, Bob, etc.). Spending $400-$800 on a POS and then deciding to sell it later and take a several hundred dollar loss on it makes more sense than spending $20 on a mental health check? Yep, I've done what I can so you are free to go. Enjoy that next purchase.

I have a number of taurus revolvers, a bunch of smiths and a couple rugers. I have never had an issue with my taurus guns. They are cheap, fun and work. If not i send them back to be fixed under a lifetime warranty. Smiths are great and hold value. They are more collectible. The rugers are tanks and shoot every bit as good as the smiths. I am just getting rid of mine because i like to collect smiths.

Sam, ya can't go wrong with a S&W 686. No collection is complete without one. May as well get one now. Sooner or later your going to get one anyway. I picked up a lightly used one from RTSP for $500. One of my favorite guns to shoot at the range.

@Samdjr74

Maybe something like this. S&W Model 178030

Model 686 PLUS - Combat Magnum, Super Tuned

SampW686Plus-1_zps6644f05d.jpg

I think the 929 has made this one expendable.

Yes, this might be something that floats my boat but again the prices I've seen are awfully high (for me that is)

Sam, ya can't go wrong with a S&W 686. No collection is complete without one. May as well get one now. Sooner or later your going to get one anyway. I picked up a lightly used one from RTSP for $500. One of my favorite guns to shoot at the range.

Long or short barrel? I see plenty of the shorter barrel models for not a lot of mon ey but finding the 6" and longer seems to raise the prices drastically.

Fit and finish is what gun mags compliment when they are reviewing a gun that won't run. It's the firearms equivalent to "but she's got a great personality".

"Fit and Finish" is, IMHO, that 'thing' that separates the "good" from the "great", and it is very tangible.  Its that attention to the details; such as polish of the bearing surfaces, the proper timing and interaction of the trigger, hand, bolt, and sear that allows the shooter to achieve the full accuracy potential of the revolver. 

The finish, while not an inherent part of accuracy, is another indicator of the care exhibited by the manufacturer during the production of the revolver....for example, take the S&W M27 and M28  The M28, with its sandblasted finish, does not have the mirror polish of the M27, but the blasted surface is evenly applied and still shows the craftsmanship that was applied during production.  Same with the Colt Troopers and Peacekeepers...the Peacekeeper lacks the mirror polish of a Trooper, but the sandblast and parkerizing is evenly and consistently applied across the whole revolver, and the internals show the same fitting that makes it an excellent shooter.

For example on the 'other side', I own a Taurus M85.  It is a good shooter, and the finish looks nice and polished, but the surfaces are uneven across what is supposed to be perfectly flat.  The fit of the mechanicals is good, but when shooting it, I have to remember that there is significant trigger overtravel, which can upset the accurate shooting of the revolver.   

That's the difference...

OP, if I were you I would take all the money you intend to spend on 3 revolvers, and buy ONE good one.

I would also take Alec's advice about revolvers when it comes to how shootable different guns are.  He knows a little bit about shooting them.

So again here's where I'm confused, let's take one of them as an example, what's not good about a Ruger GP100?

From all I know about revolvers, which I admit you could inscribe on a grain of rice, the GP100 is a fine Toyota Corolla. It works, it's reliable, its looks are inoffensiveness, the price is acceptable, its performance perfectly average. 

Its just that no one LOVES their Toyota Corolla, unless they simply don't know any better about what cars can do. 

Don't worry about using all your permits, shoot more guns, and buy the best one you can afford.