OfcrFek

How to get my handgun home...

I'm on my honeymoon in NC and brought my ccw handgun down with me. I'm taking an Amtrak train back. I just called to check my firearm and am being told they don't have checked luggage in the station I'm going to, therefore can't bring it home that way. My in laws are driving back, but I don't want to give it to them, as it's my understanding that being in possession of another person's handgun w/o them present is still a felony. The only other thing I can think to do is mail it home via Fed Ex or UPS. Do I have any other options?

One thing that you should absolutely think twice about doing because tinfoilhat:

Just secure the pistol in a locked case in your bag and just keep it to yourself and dont broadcast to the world that you are transporting a firearm from a range in NC back home.

Hmmm... I wonder how people without vehicles transport their firearms to the range...

Just secure the pistol in a locked case in your bag and just keep it to yourself and dont broadcast to the world that you are transporting a firearm from a range in NC back home.

Big Brother looking out for us always worries me.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/20/nation/la-na-terror-checkpoints-20111220

Good question about transporting while not driving yourself. Not that I would ever do it to NYC but if you lived in NYC and was heading to a skeet match in NJ and had to take a bus to meet a ride in NJ to the range.. then back. NYC may be a bad example but any other state even. My guess is cased and locked, separated from ammo would be Ok.

This wasn't a NJ law that stopped me. I called Amtrak to "check" my firearm, as they require you to do much like a plane, and was told they "recently changed" the Trenton hub to not accept checked luggage even though the website said they did. I explained the whole situation to the lady, and she basically said I was SOL. At this point, I'm just looking for the most painless but safest/secure way of getting my handgun back to me when I get to NJ. I know I can legally ship a firearm to a verified FFL, a firearms producing company, or myself. I've just never done it before and just wanted to know if I had more options. Car rental is a no go, was told I'd lose the $400+ on the Amtrak tickets, plus I work the day I get back. I'd have to cut my honeymoon short by a day.

Sounds like the most painless and legal way to go is to ship it to a FFL before you leave. 

Check with your FFL in NJ to see if he accepts transfers from non FFL holders... could save you a few bucks shipping it yourself. 

I've never been on a Amtrak train before. Do they do have "TSA" style security check points with body and luggage screening?

do you have to go through any metal detectors or body scanners to get on a train? If not personally I would pack it in a case inside my luggage and not say shit about it if I did not have to go through a metal detector or scanner, but I tend to bend the rules a little more than most.  I do understand being cautious though and I don't blame you. 

Krd, I just called both Fed Ex and UPS, and both said they only ship firearms to FFLs or law enforcement agencies, aND wnot ship to my residential address. I have no idea how security works on Amtrak, but I'm deff not going to stuff it in my bag and play dumb if caught. I'm an "error on the safe side" kinda guy. I'm thinking I'm shipping it to my FFL.

Sounds like your only option is to ship it to an FFL. Make sure the carrier will insure firearms. Interesting items have a way of disappearing with common carriers. I'd go with FedEx as opposed to UPS. I lose UPS deliveries every so often. Not so much with FedEx.

Sure. Drug traffickers do it all the time. They never get caught. Nope.... :-O

The difference is that it is completely legal to ship a firearm to yourself.   The carriers may not want to ship it, but you do not have a duty to report what it is to them.

The difference is that it is completely legal to ship a firearm to yourself.   The carriers may not want to ship it, but you do not have a duty to report what it is to them.

But if they don't ship it by their policy, he risks some annoying complications. They may be required ...by their policy... To turn it over to authorities if they determine whats in the package. I really don't know how it would turn out but I'm not sure its guaranteed to be a good outcome.

Whats so hard about shipping to an FFL? Why add risk? Its really not that hard to do it. 1 phone call and ship it. Then you know where it will be.

You may have a contractual obligation to do so when you fill out the shipping bill. Contracts are bound by law.

Whats so hard about shipping to an FFL? Why add risk? Its really not that hard to do it. 1 phone call and ship it. Then you know where it will be.

And when that dealer wants you to have a new P2P, to do a 4473, and wants $$$ from you, then what will you say?

And when that dealer wants you to have a new P2P, to do a 4473, and wants $$$ from you, then what will you say?

I would deal with one i know and ask what needs to happen before I shipped it. I wouldn't just ship it a find out later.

If thats what he said, i really don't know what I'd do. Probably just rent a damn car. Or rent a plane, since i also have that option.

How can they request additional from you...? it's legally my firearm, I never relinquished ownership... even if I blindly sent an FFL my handgun, and they suddenly tried some funny stuff and held my firearm hostage... a call to NJSP saying someone has my handgun w/o my permission and a copy of my p2p, and at the VERY LEAST, that FFL is probably losing his license... but more importantly, as Kevin said, I would send it to an FFL I trust, and throw them a couple bucks for letting me ship to them.

Giving it to the postal service would probably be a bad idea. If it were me I'd do it the least problematic way possible that i was capable of doing once i understood what my viable options were. An FFL shipment would require a call to an FFL that understands the ground rules.

If I had no certain way to ship, i would get a vehicle of some sort and do the driving or flying myself. Or airline it if that was impractical.

How can they request additional from you...? it's legally my firearm, I never relinquished ownership... even if I blindly sent an FFL my handgun, and they suddenly tried some funny stuff and held my firearm hostage... a call to NJSP saying someone has my handgun w/o my permission and a copy of my p2p, and at the VERY LEAST, that FFL is probably losing his license... but more importantly, as Kevin said, I would send it to an FFL I trust, and throw them a couple bucks for letting me ship to them.

Let us know what you learned. If you really need a ride and the weather is somewhat clear, maybe i can just pick you up in my plane. It might be less complicated than posting in this thread.....