Recon Racoon

Any good places to get lost in the woods?

So I need to get out of New Jersey and away from work for a few days. Any good places outside of New Jersey to just get lost in for a few days?

(Getting lost is just figurative of course, I just want some peace, quiet, and solitude)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have anything specific but look into camping in a state forest in PA. Don't want to primitive camp? Rent a small RV and tool around seeing some natural sights.

Sounds like a perfect time to learn how to fly fish.

I don't know how far you want to travel, but the Mount Rogers/Grayson Highlands area in Southwestern VA, about a 10 hour drive is an awesome place on the east coast.

Grayson Highlands

Mount Rogers National Recreation

The views, the wild ponies... this place is a little different than most places in the East, but there will be other hikers, and depending on the time you go, there will be a lot of Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers.

Other places to consider:  Acadia in Maine, Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania, and White Mountain Park in New Hampshire, High Peaks in New York...

This place outside of Jim Thorpe, PA might actually work for you as well...

http://www.campingatroundstone.com/

Are you a hiker? Rickett's Glen State Park in PA. Seven mile trail (3.5 ascending / 3.5 descending) following a stream with some spectacular falls. I was never hardcore enough to do the whole thing - we used to take two cars and park one at the bottom and then drive to the top, hike down and then drive back up to pick-up the other car.

Been a long time since I was there, but it was a beautiful place. I do have a vested interest in that family lore says that it is named for an illegitimate relative of mine. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

State Parks will be packed this weekend, even with the rain coming.  Ditto on RIcketts Glen, been there many times as I have family ties nearby.  I guess it's how far your willing to drive for peace and quiet.  Done a few bike trips to Black Moshannon State Park off Route 80 in PA as well, now your in the woods pretty decent. 

Are you a hiker? Rickett's Glen State Park in PA. Seven mile trail (3.5 ascending / 3.5 descending) following a stream with some spectacular falls. I was never hardcore enough to do the whole thing - we used to take two cars and park one at the bottom and then drive to the top, hike down and then drive back up to pick-up the other car.

Been a long time since I was there, but it was a beautiful place. I do have a vested interest in that family lore says that it is named for an illegitimate relative of mine. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I second Rickett's Glen. 

I'll vote for Rickets Glen - done the round trip several time but I don't know about overnight camping in the area.  If you want to stay closer to home but not know it, head to the Appalachian trail or Highpoint/Stokes state forest.  Plenty of room to get lost...

There are so many places you can go.  I am going to jot down a few others have recommended.  The Grayson Highlands is an awesome place to go in Southwestern VA, and you won't be disappointed. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grayson+Highlands&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UaeXVZvvBcSigwT04YDIBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1086&bih=515

If you bring a dog, make sure you protect its feet pads.  And, if you are a fan of literature, you can plan it and visit Sherwood Anderson's estate and/or grave in nearby Marion Virginia.