AlDente67

Proving military service?

Ask them what color the boathouse is at Hereford.

:D

Other than being next of kin or an employer looking to verify prior service, I don't think there's anything you can do other than ask the person in question to provide you with copies of their enlistment papers, DD 214,or other such documents.

Are you talking stolen valor or just being nosey?

Some folks can be found on military.com

Other than that, the only other way besides what Rick said is get a ssn and bring it to a recruiter or someone in the in...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad has an honorable discharge form from the Marines from his service during WWII. Thats what the VA requires for benefits applicants. Are documents like that still issued?

And wouldn't active duty personnel have a military ID?

The assumption being its appropriate to ask them in the situation you're talking about. If someone says they are or were in the military, I just take them at their word and try to remember to thank them.

What would you do to see if a specific person (by name and approx age/hometown) actually served in the military as claimed? I know the years/possible locations.

How do you verify that he banged two Jewish chicks at the same time last week? Or if she has herpes?

It's like anything else. You trust them or you don't. Ask around.

If you must know, demand a DD-214 and check on it. Or a doctor's note.

This website can be used for verification of current military or civilian employees, has to be initiated by the service member or employee, encrypted file is sent to your email and the service member will provide you with a password.

http://www.cpms.osd.mil/subpage/EmploymentVerification/

The site talks about verification of former employees or retirees, but it does not specifically address service.

Or you could contact China, I am sure they can tell you;-)

He lies.  Says he was a sniper (he sucks) and also a tank driver.  The two don't exactly jive.

Has a scar on his belly.  Says he was shot on active duty.  Graduated from Penn State in 1992, so missed most of Dessert Storm.  As far as I know, may have been enlisted in Germany for a time, but I can't think of a conflict any sniper/tanker participated in.

So yes, stolen valor is part of it, but moreso some firmer evidence he is full of shit.

As far as banging some Jewish chicks, I tend to doubt that.

Good chance China will be able to help....They even have over 1.1 million fingerprints that could help as well. I wouldn't worry about it unless your going to hire the guy or some criminality is involved (fraud etc etc). You don't like him or her something smells fishy stay away from them. Not a big deal.

If hes a Vet his DL should have his status on it. Also he should have a DD214 form, but there are a lot of counterfeits out there now.

You could get him on video or some kind of proof physical hes claiming false military acclimates to benefit himself and turn his ass into Bulldog at http://guardianofvalor.com/ https://www.facebook.com/StolenValor?fref=ts

If hes lying he will make a mistake with his stories. Hell probably start to contradict his stories everytime he repeats it. Ask him where his duty stations were. What his mos numbers were. Then verify them. Easiest is DD214. I lost mine years ago but i kinda remember it has alot of info on it.

Just don't end up like the D-Bags who falsely accused a marine vet of stolen valor last month in PA:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/06/harrisburg_artsfest_veteran_st.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Sometimes, it's better to let d-bags be because there are so many of them in this world.

If hes lying he will make a mistake with his stories. Hell probably start to contradict his stories everytime he repeats it. Ask him where his duty stations were. What his mos numbers were. Then verify them. Easiest is DD214. I lost mine years ago but i kinda remember it has alot of info on it.

Oh, the DD214 is all digital now, for your convenience. Mine was stolen by hackers in 30 seconds about 14 years ago (along with all my analog military medical records) but today I could get a new copy in 2 to 3 months!!!

If hes a Vet his DL should have his status on it. Also he should have a DD214 form, but there are a lot of counterfeits out there now.

You could get him on video or some kind of proof physical hes claiming false military acclimates to benefit himself and turn his ass into Bulldog at http://guardianofvalor.com/ https://www.facebook.com/StolenValor?fref=ts

Since when is veteran status listed on a drivers license.

Oh, the DD214 is all digital now, for your convenience. Mine was stolen by hackers in 30 seconds about 14 years ago (along with all my analog military medical records) but today I could get a new copy in 2 to 3 months!!!

A few years ago I got a paper copy of my 214 in about 2 weeks. You request it on line and need to print out a request form and mail it to them. Can do the same for medical records.

Griz is correct they will even provide replacement awards and decorations as earned. Does not take long and can be done on line. Always found it interesting that a naval captain did a study that was published by the VFW concerning service in Vietnam , and part of it talked about the number of in country vets who actually served in country seems that for every legitimate Vietnam vet there are 13 claiming to have served in country. I'd like to know where the hell these guys were when we were over there.

There is no requirement to have veterans status on your DL.  It is voluntary, a veteran that wants the vet designation put on their DL needs to bring their DD-214 to the MVC to have the designation added.  Many are unaware of this.

Redwings9-so true. My father in law is one of these assholes. He claims to have been in Vietnam as a paratrooper in combat. He doesn't know that my wife's mother gave us a copy of his military records (not sure if its his dd214) but shows all he ever did was a mechanic in Colorado and he enlisted a few years after the Vietnam war LOL. He is getting what he deserves though, He has alienated his entire family due to his lies and now he is dying of cancer and kidney failure. I do believe that karma gets everyone in the end

Griz is correct they will even provide replacement awards and decorations as earned. Does not take long and can be done on line.

My buddy got his online about 4 years ago. Took 2 to 3 months.

Like I said, hackers got mine in 30 seconds about 14 years ago. They didn't digitize this stuff so you could get it easier. Even 2 weeks was more or less typical for the 1980s. Similar NFA paperwork, could be two weeks, could be 4 months, depends on demand and current staffing priorities.

The only thing that changed in 30 years is they can send it around to people other than you with the push of a button and have it stolen even quicker.

Just don't end up like the D-Bags who falsely accused a marine vet of stolen valor last month in PA:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/06/harrisburg_artsfest_veteran_st.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Sometimes, it's better to let d-bags be because there are so many of them in this world.

I have a few questions.

Why the F is any former service walking around in uniform for no damn reason? To me, it's like walking around with a loaded AR-15. Take it to a rally? Fine. Parade? Fine. Bringing too many guns on foot and the case adds to much weight? Fine. Screwed up and realize you need to get a steak and some burgers at Wegmans and don't want to leave it in your car? Fine.

Just because? No. Nobody walked around in their former military uniforms in my day.

Second question. When the hell did it become LEGAL and not against regimental orders for active duty to wear BDUs or uniforms in public outside of events or incidental activities (such as gassing up your car). Nobody since WWII has ever been allowed to wear BDUs or uniforms off duty in public until something seemed to start changing about 15 years ago. Maybe it had something to do with Shinseki starting to wear women's stockings and taking the black beret away from the Rangers and giving it to every fat fuck pogue on the face of the planet.

I think this problem can be fixed with more selfies. There will be a lot less "stolen honor" claims if everybody just tries to draw more attention to themselves. Maybe we can just give all active duty some iced-out bling with LEDs that blink in a certain pattern to verify they are real deal operators. Put a set of wig-wags on them so they can be spotted front or back from a few hundred yards. Perhaps some theme music.

No that much of a big deal.  Just an acquaintance who I run into in slightly different circles.  The stories vary except that I'm the common listener, if you will.

Would be fun to show he is full of it for sure.

I just cannot stand a bullshitter.  One of my pet peeves.

Griz could you give me a website where to go to get a copy of my dd214. I tried a couple years back but got nowhere. Thanks.

Go to www.archives.gov/stlouis/military-personnel/dd214. Follow directions. You have to sign the form you download and send it to them. There are places you can pay and get it faster IIRC but unless you need it next week there is no reason to use those services.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Once you get a copy I would have the DD-214 entered as an archived document at your county clerk office.  The service is free and they will provide certified copies at no charge.  The document is not available for public viewing because of the personal info on it.