Sledgecrowbar

Strike Industries +5 PMAG base pad

Manufacturer's product page link: http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/rifle-accessories/ar/magazine-enhancement/enhanced-magazine-plate-e-m-p-5-688.html#.Vng9l_krJQI

dsc_0438_4.jpg

Had these out for two range visits now and they run great but only fit +4 in a 10-round PMAG M3.  They give you more hold on the mag but it's not really needed, they drop free and I dig PMAGs for range use because the feed lips when new don't scratch my brass for reloading like USGI-style 10-round mags do.

I have some pinned MSAR mags from CDNN that also only fit 14.  There's absolutely no way to get a 15th round in on either of these.

Has anyone found 15-round mags that fit 15 rounds?  This search is frustrating me.  I know Wideners has USGI-style 15-round mags but haven't tried them yet.  I was also looking at the PMAG 15/30's made by MidwestPX, considering what I paid for the +5 baseplates (Black Friday from Primary Arms for I think $9 each), the 15/30's aren't such a ripoff at $21.  If either of those options still won't fit the specified 15, I'm giving up and going back to PMAG 10's because I have no need for 4 extra rounds at the range doing 5-shot strings, it just screws up my count and focus having to reload in the middle of a string.

I recently got tired of spending ~$20-30 on 15/30 or 15/20 Pmags.

So I went here:

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks.html

and bought the appropriate mag limiters and some of their Pmag epoxy.

I then went out of state, bought the mags I wanted and installed the limiters sitting in the parking lot of the gunshow. It took less than 1 minute per mag. I epoxied the floorplate on all of them and let them sit for 15 minutes, then drove home.

Cost me $8-$10 a mag + $4.50 a limiter and the epoxy came to about $2 per 10 magazines.

They hold exactly 15 rounds and function flawlessly. I purposefully download by 1 so I can reload easier on a closed bolt.

So I went here:

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks.html

I then went out of state, bought the mags I wanted and installed the limiters sitting in the parking lot of the gunshow. It took less than 1 minute per mag. I epoxied the floorplate on all of them and let them sit for 15 minutes, then drove home.

Cost me $8-$10 a mag + $4.50 a limiter and the epoxy came to about $2 per 10 magazines.

They hold exactly 15 rounds and function flawlessly. I purposefully download by 1 so I can reload easier on a closed bolt.

Plus gas and time

I don't know that I would make a specific trip of it but I'd I was going anyway it may be an option

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gas + time? Nah, I was going to the show anyway. I made 20 15/30 Pmags last time, cost me $294 ($10mag + $4.50limiter + $0.20epoxy = $14.70 x 20) and about 45 minutes specific to fixing the mags.

Buying premade 15/30 Pmags would have been ~$400 for 20 (using the lowest price I could find for a 15/30 of $20) plus shipping.

I doubt I spent $106 in gas and time spent specific to building the mags.

I used Magblocks for the Scar 17 when the mags were impossible to get.  I ordered the mag rebuild kits, basically a disassembled magazine, from California Mags, whatever the URL was, which were 20s and blocked them to 10s because there wasn't a 5 round block at the time.  After they were done I flew home from Florida with them.  

gas + time? Nah, I was going to the show anyway. I made 20 15/30 Pmags last time, cost me $294 ($10mag + $4.50limiter + $0.20epoxy = $14.70 x 20) and about 45 minutes specific to fixing the mags.

Buying premade 15/30 Pmags would have been ~$400 for 20 (using the lowest price I could find for a 15/30 of $20) plus shipping.

I doubt I spent $106 in gas and time spent specific to building the mags.

My time is valuable :D

I was also looking at the PMAG 15/30's made by MidwestPX, considering what I paid for the +5 baseplates (Black Friday from Primary Arms for I think $9 each), the 15/30's aren't such a ripoff at $21.

Truth be told, we have more than just the host mag and limiter as inputs in the mags we make. $12K ultrasonic welder which just cost an extra $1k this year because the titanium horns needed to be re-cut plus insurance, overhead, etc. I know relative to a normal PMAG, $20-21 seems like a lot but no one's getting rich making compliance products. As evidenced by the fact that I drive a Toyota Highlander and not the BMW 535xi I want ;)

Considering how much I make, between gas and time, yes, it would be more...

Let me rephrase:

I doubt I spent $106 on gas, as time spent doing something you enjoy, and/or something you're going to do anyway, doesn't cost anything.

If we were talking my hourly rate at work, then yes it was well over. But this wasn't work.

Truth be told, we have more than just the host mag and limiter as inputs in the mags we make. $12K ultrasonic welder which just cost an extra $1k this year because the titanium horns needed to be re-cut plus insurance, overhead, etc. I know relative to a normal PMAG, $20-21 seems like a lot but no one's getting rich making compliance products. As evidenced by the fact that I drive a Toyota Highlander and not the BMW 535xi I want ;)

Ty,

This is not a knock on you (or any of our forum vendors) or what you charge for your limited magazines. You make an outstanding product, that's worth every penny. I am comfortable with the method that I acquired the mags and the way I made them NJ legal, others may not be.

Now, when are you going to get your online store back up and running? I need a few ALG ACT lower parts kits. :D

Let me rephrase:

I doubt I spent $106 on gas, as time spent doing something you enjoy, and/or something you're going to do anyway, doesn't cost anything.

If we were talking my hourly rate at work, then yes it was well over. But this wasn't work.

Ty,

This is not a knock on you or what you charge for your limited magazines. You make an outstanding product, that's worth every penny. I am comfortable with the method that I acquired the mags and the way I made them NJ legal, others may not be.

Now, when are you going to get your online store back up and running? I need a few ALG ACT lower parts kits. :D

Haha, I'm just as anxious about it, brother. Lots of late nights and phone conferences. The catalog should be getting populated within the next week or so and graphics are being ironed out. I'm not pushing my contractors very hard since I use US personnel and it's the holiday season so I don't want them losing time with family. I have an entire wholesale side of the business which is chugging along very well so I promise we aren't over here sitting on our thumbs ;)

Haha, I'm just as anxious about it, brother. Lots of late nights and phone conferences. The catalog should be getting populated within the next week or so and graphics are being ironed out. I'm not pushing my contractors very hard since I use US personnel and it's the holiday season so I don't want them losing time with family. I have an entire wholesale side of the business which is chugging along very well so I promise we aren't over here sitting on our thumbs ;)

Posted Image

My most reliable mags are the blocked PMags from MidwestPX.

QFT.  I'm liking the +5 floorplates because they run flawlessly.  If it weren't for the capacity issue...

I hit the Oaks show past Philly once a year usually, I should give the magblocks a shot.  Does the block get glued to the floorplate?  You can't clean them then?  Actually, can you disassemble the 15/30's from MidwestPX for cleaning?

I think cut-down mags would be ideal because you can still service them after they break/dent/bend/wear out or you just want to swap the spring or follower for whatever new improvement comes along.  I know a mag is a consumable but in NJ we're not really grinding them into the sand.  Unless you live in the pine barrens, i guess :)

I hit the Oaks show past Philly once a year usually, I should give the magblocks a shot.  Does the block get glued to the floorplate?  You can't clean them then?  Actually, can you disassemble the 15/30's from MidwestPX for cleaning?

PK90 has pmags that can be disassembled:

http://www.colddeadhands.com/accessories.html

I hate using pinned mags, but mainly it's a mental thing. Everytime I'm cleaning the gun/mags I'm being reminded of NJ being a f@#$ed up state and that I can't be trusted with a mag that disassembles.

So I went here:

Be careful with that epoxy as it may not be as strong as you think. Once it's cured, the glued parts can be snapped off if enough force is applied. And when it does, it snaps off cleanly, meaning it does not destroy the body or base. You can easily put the magazine back together again. For that reason alone, I also pin the base to the body in addition to using the epoxy/glue.

How does a spring made for a 10 round mag function when used for 15 rounds? Not reliably I suspect.

Actually it functions exactly the same.  I had some issues initially with my PMAG 10's with the bolt actually coming to a stop while trying to strip the first round, then at the same time they wouldn't hold the bolt open.  It was like too strong a spring when fully loaded and too weak when empty.  Once I added the extensions all my problems went away, although this isn't a good comparison as I haven't run them in the gun I was initially having issues with.  USGI mags did cure the gremlins on that build but I want to run the PMAGs in it now to check.

Actually it functions exactly the same.  I had some issues initially with my PMAG 10's with the bolt actually coming to a stop while trying to strip the first round, then at the same time they wouldn't hold the bolt open.  It was like too strong a spring when fully loaded and too weak when empty.  Once I added the extensions all my problems went away, although this isn't a good comparison as I haven't run them in the gun I was initially having issues with.  USGI mags did cure the gremlins on that build but I want to run the PMAGs in it now to check.

That's because Magpul's using a 20rd spring in the 10rd mags. They're also using 30rd springs in the 20rd mags. Higher tension translates to more reliable feeding is what I've read/heard.

1. I ordered some of these the other day after seeing this thread. 2. They are already here from CA (but I'm out of town for the Christmas ) so Ill let you all know how it works for me on sunday, planning on digging out my cargo shorts and going to the range with the global warming happening this weekend. even it it fits 14 vs 15 I'll be happy. Nothing against pinned mags, but it'll be nice to have 15 round mags that are the length for 15 rds not 20 or 30.

1. I ordered some of these the other day after seeing this thread. 2. They are already here from CA (but I'm out of town for the Christmas ) so Ill let you all know how it works for me on sunday, planning on digging out my cargo shorts and going to the range with the global warming happening this weekend. even it it fits 14 vs 15 I'll be happy. Nothing against pinned mags, but it'll be nice to have 15 round mags that are the length for 15 rds not 20 or 30. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a bit of a time putting the extensions on, the spring base pads kept tilting to the rear.  I used the blade of a pocketknife to hold them level as I pushed the extensions on, but I'd recommend a dinner knife or something else that didn't risk a Darwin Award if you slipped, which is a possibility when trying to get everything to go together just right.  The extensions come with roll pins to hold them in place in case you need them to be permanent, but I had no walking issues without using them.  The base pad buttons hold them in place fine, and I can disassemble them for cleaning, so I'd say skip the pins.

Why? Just curious.

A couple reasons come to mind, one being that nobody will wonder if your mags are over 15 rounds, and the other is that they're not neutered, you have 15 rounds in a 15-round mag body.  For some folks, it solves a point of internal irritation.  That's why I bothered to make the thread, but I do find myself wondering why I go through the trouble when I wouldn't actually have an issue blocking a 20 or 30 just to get the full legal limit instead of being lazy and just buying 10's.

Ever wonder just how little would change if all of the sudden NJ became a 30-round-limit state?  Not even a no-limit state, just double what it is now.  There'd probably be a good two weeks when every online retailer for mags would have low stock, and then... absolutely nothing.  No shootings, no massacres, no crime sprees.  No real difference, just all of us at the range, clinking mags together in celebration like they were champagne glasses.

Why? Just curious.

Wasted space mainly . My AR is an Armalite post ban, but the 10 round mag is a lot longer that the other 10 rd steel box mags I have. pretty much it's the engineer in me, lol.

....also.... LGR ;-)

Wasted space mainly . My AR is an Armalite post ban, but the 10 round mag is a lot longer that the other 10 rd steel box mags I have. pretty much it's the engineer in me, lol.

Fair enough. I enjoy having the extra real estate to manipulate and hold the mags.