checko

This drone thing is getting out of hand...

If one of these dumb things is over your property you should have every right to brjng it down.

http://rightwingnews.com/craaaaazy/kentucky-man-is-arrested-after-shooting-down-1800-drone-hovering-over-sunbathing-daughter/?utm_source=yc&utm_medium=yc&utm_campaign=yc

Best part of the article though is this guy is packing a god damned HAND CANNON.

“I had my 40 mm [sic] Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, ‘If you cross my sidewalk, there’s gonna be another shooting,’ ”

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is my take, would you let an RC vehicle equipped with a camera on your property? What are your rights in that situation. It's the same fucking thing regardless if it's in the sky above or on the ground. It has NO right being there to potentially spy on your family or property.

On the other hand you probably really don't want the government involved in regulating yet another thing, oh wait, too late:

Time to register your drone with the government:

http://gizmodo.com/you-must-register-your-drone-with-the-faa-starting-dece-1747894052

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Because registration is good, right?

On the other hand you probably really don't want the government involved in regulating yet another thing, oh wait, too late:

http://gizmodo.com/you-must-register-your-drone-with-the-faa-starting-dece-1747894052

I guess this means that all criminals and terrorists will comply and register their drones.  :)

We don't need registration, all we need is a law clarifying that a drone flying over private property is trespassing and is subject to the same consequences as any other trespassing violation. And if it's deemed a threat, shoot it.

Agree 100%, this is all that is needed

There are going to be lots of new issues with drones. Once a drone gets up high enough it doesn't have to be directly over your property to pretty much have a view of all of you property. You used to be able to put trees up to block the view from a street. It's not going to be practical with drones. Very difficult to preserve your privacy. And as "abuses" get publicized it is going to be difficult to stop the government getting involved.

We don't need registration, all we need is a law clarifying that a drone flying over private property is trespassing and is subject to the same consequences as any other trespassing violation. And if it's deemed a threat, shoot it.

Really?  What responsible gun owner actually would shoot a drone out of the sky, keeping in mind you and you alone are responsible for that round.  That round is likely going to sail on and hit something or someone else - not a great idea.  Perhaps birdshot if you have some room to other properties, but I would not suggest you take aim with you .45 :)

Really?  What responsible gun owner actually would shoot a drone out of the sky, keeping in mind you and you alone are responsible for that round.  That round is likely going to sail on and hit something or someone else - not a great idea.  Perhaps birdshot if you have some room to other properties, but I would not suggest you take aim with you .45 :)

There is also a high probability that the drone is photographing you!

.45 no, target loads probably. Obviously all safety concerns need to be observed. If it's unsafe to shoot it with a REAL gun then maybe a daisy pellet assault weapon would come in handy. 

True Vlad, but, with irresponsible and reckless people flying these things near major airports, close to airplanes, what would you do? Nothing?

Being a pilot, I don't want to be out flying and suddenly see one of these pop up near me. They may be small, but can still do damage and cause a crash.

Said he used a shotgun--does not say what type of load, but I would think birdshot would be the best option with a drone.

Pretty sure most aircraft need to be registered--it is not like this is something covered in the BoR.  However, this is totally a Govt reaction to the few bad actors who have dangerously interfered with regular/commercial air traffic.  Still won't stop a terrorist from using a drone to hurt people.   

There are going to be lots of new issues with drones. Once a drone gets up high enough it doesn't have to be directly over your property to pretty much have a view of all of you property. You used to be able to put trees up to block the view from a street. It's not going to be practical with drones. Very difficult to preserve your privacy. And as "abuses" get publicized it is going to be difficult to stop the government getting involved.

You can do the same thing with a manned aircraft and some decent photography equipment.  Like many technological advances,this just democratizes and puts the ability in the hands of everyone, not just the rich.

Calling them 'drones' is like calling an AR an Assault Weapon. There is very little difference between a DJI phantom and another RC plane or helicopter. Do people have to register their RC plane with the FAA? Why not? Because of the number of blades, the camera, and ease of availability. In other words, characteristics that have nothing to do with safety (which is what the FAA should be focused on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling them 'drones' is like calling an AR an Assault Weapon.

Drones can be programmed to depart a set destination, follow a pre-programmed flight path and return to where it departed with the surveillance it collected.  That is the VERY definition of drone.   

Drones can be programmed to depart a set destination, follow a pre-programmed flight path and return to where it departed with the surveillance it collected. That is the VERY definition of drone.

I thought it was democratic voters in NJ.

And the quad copters you can get now still require positive control during flight. It may not be necessary during waypoint flights, but it must be maintained.

I still stand by the above. Drone is a term coined by the military (think Predator) and adopted by the media to refer to advances RC vehicles.

I thought it was democratic voters in NJ.

And the quad copters you can get now still require positive control during flight. It may not be necessary during waypoint flights, but it must be maintained.

I still stand by the above. Drone is a term coined by the military (think Predator) and adopted by the media to refer to advances RC vehicles.

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of radio control, called his RC boat, a "drone". 

EDIT: I did some self fact checking, I was wrong.  Tesla did not call the boat a drone, though some news papers may have.  He labeled it a tele automatic boat.  Drone was in fact adopted by the US military to describe radio control aircraft used for gunnery target practice.  I love irony.

True Vlad, but, with irresponsible and reckless people flying these things near major airports, close to airplanes, what would you do? Nothing?

Being a pilot, I don't want to be out flying and suddenly see one of these pop up near me. They may be small, but can still do damage and cause a crash.

True, but, with irresponsible and reckless people owning this high power 50cal rifles near airports, closed to airplanes, what would you do? Nothing?

Being a gun owner, I don't want to be out flying and suddenly have a 50 cal rifle shoot me from the sky. They might be federally legal, but can still cause damage and cause a crash.

See what I did there?  Every time we allow something else to be regulated we are building ourselves a deeper stronger prison. You know all those cases where people say "X is more heavily regulated then guns"  .. well .. increasingly that is true because everything is so regulated.

Lets even go with your scenario, yes they pose a danger to planes. So do birds. So do all the drones a "evil doer" can build in their closet and not register. Shit, it is even worse, did your read the FAA page? You don't even register the drone, you self register yourself as a drone operator and then you are supposed to pencil on your drone somewhere your ID number.  Lets say I fully comply and register myself, and sharpie my number on my 2lb drone.  When you chuck a 2lb drone through a CFM56 intentionally or accidentally do you think you'll be able to read my serial because I suspect there won't be much left coming out the other side.

At the end of the day, just like with everything else, only the non-criminals are affected by these laws and regulations.

People are afraid of drones peaking at them? Do we register bino's and telescopes too?  Google satellites? No one likes the idea that someone is staring at their daughter, but asking for freedom from other people's eyes is a loosing battle that only gets us all more bound up in being subjects not free people.

True, but, with irresponsible and reckless people owning this high power 50cal rifles near airports, closed to airplanes, what would you do? Nothing?

Being a gun owner, I don't want to be out flying and suddenly have a 50 cal rifle shoot me from the sky. They might be federally legal, but can still cause damage and cause a crash.

See what I did there? Every time we allow something else to be regulated we are building ourselves a deeper stronger prison. You know all those cases where people say "X is more heavily regulated then guns" .. well .. increasingly that is true because everything is so regulated.

Lets even go with your scenario, yes they pose a danger to planes. So do birds. So do all the drones a "evil doer" can build in their closet and not register. Shit, it is even worse, did your read the FAA page? You don't even register the drone, you self register yourself as a drone operator and then you are supposed to pencil on your drone somewhere your ID number. Lets say I fully comply and register myself, and sharpie my number on my 2lb drone. When you chuck a 2lb drone through a CFM56 intentionally or accidentally do you think you'll be able to read my serial because I suspect there won't be much left coming out the other side.

At the end of the day, just like with everything else, only the non-criminals are affected by these laws and regulations.

People are afraid of drones peaking at them? Do we register bino's and telescopes too? Google satellites? No one likes the idea that someone is staring at their daughter, but asking for freedom from other people's eyes is a loosing battle that only gets us all more bound up in being subjects not free people.

The only reason the FAA wrote the regs the way they are is because so bozo landed one one the whitehouse lawn. The govt wants to trace that kind of stuff back to an owner.

The FAA regs have nothing to do with privacy. A person can get the same footage from normal RC aircraft that don't require regulation.

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of radio control, called his RC boat, a "drone".

EDIT: I did some self fact checking, I was wrong. Tesla did not call the boat a drone, though some news papers may have. He labeled it a tele automatic boat. Drone was in fact adopted by the US military to describe radio control aircraft used for gunnery target practice. I love irony.

Right. As far as the media is concerned

Drone : RC plane

Assault weapon : rifle

I think you are also missing the other aspect, which is criminalize everything even if you don't enforce it.

It gives the government huge leverage if they want to bend people to their will.  Wait, you captured a police abuse or whatever with your drone? Interesting, is your drone correctly registered? No? Well that would be $20k please, but you know .. we can work with you if this is the only copy of the video ..

I'm also a pilot and you stole the words right out of my mouth.

Drone : RC plane

Assault weapon : rifle

IMHO, lumping RC planes and drones together is not such a black & white analogy.  Though they pose a similar threat to manned aircraft, RC planes imply line-of-sight control requirements for sustained operation.  Compare this to an RC drone which provides video imaging to the pilot/operator as the primary feedback.  There is significantly greater situational awareness if you operate an RC plane that you can see.  Conceptually, one could operate a drone from their basement and be much more likely to inadvertently intercept a manned aircraft's course due to the lack of big-picture visibility.  I'd be equally opposed to if we were talking about "remote-control" weapons that could go into the wood and shoot without seeing to the left and right, largely because it would take the human control and judgement/perception out of the equation.  But let me re-posture your analogy so you know how I believe this should be tackled:

Aviation: privilege

Weapon: right

You should look at what the FFA actually calls a UAS:

Unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds and more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft and operated outdoors in the national airspace system must register. These aircraft may register under the new web-based registration system.

There is no conversation of line of sight, range, flight ceilings, etc.

Also ..

Both tethered and untethered UAS must be registered.

Technically some idiot could get you arrested for flying a kite without a permit, as it includes all attached bits, has control mechanisms, and it is tethered.