EWC88

Anyone else getting weird calls?

Since the past couple days both me and my girlfriend (both on same cell phone plan) have been getting random calls from all over the states, and now it's even happening outside the USA. Girlfriend just sent me a screen shot of someone from Nigeria calling, left a voicemail but clearly we don't speak their language to understand what the yelling was all about. Anyone else been getting weird calls out of no where?

I get them too. A lot of these calls are illicit, so the donotcall registry won't do much. The numbers are also often spoofed. It's a waste of time to manually block each number, since you probably won't get a call from it again.

There's not much you can do but screen your calls. I use Truecaller which has a continually updated blacklist of numbers, and you can search for a contact name associated with unknown numbers. If you get a reasonable sounding name, it was either a legitimate call or a spoofed number. It will catch spam calls about 20% of the time, and you can confidently ignore them.

With spam slowly becoming less profitable (finally), phone numbers verified to have humans at the other end are increasingly valuable. Lists are passed around and sold just like they were for email addresses.

I always give away my google voice linked number (which used to be my old personal cell), which forwards to my work cell. Either google does an awesome job of spam filtering or they just don't call me that much, but when they do they have leave their name before I pick up the phone. I'm guessing that screens off a lot of scammers.

If I don't know the number I don't answer and let it go to voicemail.  Anyone that knows me will leave a voicemail and I call back right away.

I do the exact same thing, works very well for me, 

I love the calls you get sometimes that's an automated recording saying, "please hold for the next available representative" then you're waiting to get connected to a telemarketer. Are you f'ing kidding me? I must get at least 10-15 calls on my work phone per day from solicitors and sales reps. I've gotten so numb to it that I pretty much don't answer my work phone unless it's someone from work.

Sometimes when I do pick up by accident, I just hang up on them mid sentence as they saying their greeting.

If I don't know the number I don't answer and let it go to voicemail.  Anyone that knows me will leave a voicemail and I call back right away.

I do the same exact thing.

The guy from Nigeria is Mipafox. He is holding $10,000,000 in your name, proceeds from the sale of your late uncle Elmo's human liver harvesting plant in Zimbabwe. Send him $10,000 via Banko Bongo and he'll transfer the fortune to your checking account. 

I truly hate the indians from "Windows" that want to fix my computer. They are not even fun to jack with. Great stories about screwing with the nigerians on www.419eater.com

LMFAO for hours.

Just mess with them for a few minutes then say oh wait I have an Apple......... :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

I truly hate the indians from "Windows" that want to fix my computer.

A business I work with is owned by a really, really, really old guy (late 90s). For some reason he gets these calls all the time. He will spend like 5 minutes trying to figure out who they are and then trying to explain to them that he doesn't want their help and, "No, you don't work for us. Jeff, do these people work for us?"

Doesn't everybody have caller ID these days? Use it!

I don't answer calls I don't recognize. If they're legit they'll leave a message. If not fukc 'em.

I also have Vonage, which allows you to block certain numbers. Best phone service out there, and cheap. Has come in very handy. If any of you are interested let me know so I can get a $25 credit for signing you up.