Sign in to follow this  
John Boy

Smart Handgun Law ... Here We Go Again!

On Thursday, January 7, the Assembly Appropriations Committee passed Senate Bill 3249 with a partisan 6-3 vote.

As previously reported, S. 3249 /A. 4717, sponsored by state Senator Loretta Weinberg (D-37) and state Senator Richard Codey (D-27), would repeal the ban on traditional handguns from New Jersey’s 2002 “smart gun” law.  NRA testified against the bill because it replaces one bad mandate with another.  NRA also asked lawmakers to repeal New Jersey's current “smart gun” law and amend the bill to remove the provision forcing gun dealers to offer these technologically unviable guns for sale.  This misguided mandate would be similar to the government forcing your local auto dealer to offer new self-driving car technology for sale regardless of consumer demand or viability.

This effort to force the adoption and use of “smart guns” by mandating that firearms dealers stock them in inventory suggests that politicians will once again pursue a ban on traditional firearms in the future. 

S. 3249 /A. 4717 will be heard on the Assembly Floor on Monday, January 11.  Please contact your state Assemblyman or Assemblywoman today and urge them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 3249.

I guess we have to hope that Christie remains a viable candidate a little longer so that he can veto this when it gets to his desk...He can't possibly let this become law if he wants to be POTUS.

This one is tough. The original is a shitty law. Is it worse then the shitty bill that amends it?

My guess is yes. My fear is that they are trying to prop up the market and will reinsert the removed the "must only sell" provision as soon as there are actually models in the market.

Ideal world, Christie would say the whole thing is Fubar and scrap it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersey FFLs don't have a hard enough time already that we have to require them to stock garbage? Let me guess. They'll make 100 of these guns a year and 90% of Jersey FFLs won't be able to stock them when the NJSP comes for inspection.

Yup. The dealer is gonna be constantly  in the hole for the cost of these things because they will be required to always have one on display. Next they'll be told it must be prominatly displayed front and center of the most looked at case with flashing neon lights pointing to it or fined if its tucked away in a corner collecting dust.

What can they do that you can't?

i would imagine that they as a group would have enough clout to kill this, since they're the ones that're being illegally forced to carry a product. on the other hand, we as customers can try, but if those being forced don't speak up, then i don't think what the rest of us say will have much power?

i would imagine that they as a group would have enough clout to kill this, since they're the ones that're being illegally forced to carry a product. on the other hand, we as customers can try, but if those being forced don't speak up, then i don't think what the rest of us say will have much power?

I can see your point, but there are far more gun owners than gun dealers. I'm not sure a gun dealer's voice has much more clout than ours at the end of the day.

You would think that a state forcing a company to carry a product would be a violation of the Federal Interstate Commerce clause.

You would think that a state forcing a company to carry a product would be a violation of the Federal Interstate Commerce clause.

The federal government forces companies to provide health insurance and specifies what the insurance must cover and what it can't cover.

The federal government forces companies to provide health insurance and specifies what the insurance must cover and what it can't cover.

Find a FFL that is a company with stores in multiple states, like LLBean or Cabelas. You'd think the federal government would be quick to slap down a state forcing an out of state to carry a product. The CC gives the Feds a lot of power and they'd need to protect it from the states.

i do think that too. but......who/how do we fight that that way?

Find a FFL that is a company with stores in multiple states, like LLBean or Cabelas. You'd think the federal government would be quick to slap down a state forcing an out of state to carry a product. The CC gives the Feds a lot of power and they'd need to protect it from the states.

Not a chance. CC is used by the federal government to justify unrestricted power of the federal government with no exceptions. Read 99% of the bills proposed or passed by the federal congress from 2015, they all mention CC as justification and none of those bills exercise powers or legislative authority authorized by the Constitution.

The federal government does not use CC to prevent states from tampering with trade of out of state companies, that's 18th Century stuff.

Dick's in Jersey sells handguns? Mine does not so they would be exempt I would think.

no they dont, thats my point and maybe get a pass just for that reason? but they are a firearms dealer and all are required to stock and display according to the wording.

In the future we will have something that shoots something to protect ourselves. but for the time being an old, mechanical, reliable, pistol will have to do. As written every licensed dealer will have to carry at least one type of Safe Gun.Unless there are exemptions every Dicks store will be required to carry one.It does not matter if the store does not sell pistols, they will be required to have at least one on display.

When I can buy a "Light Sabre" with a Stun setting"1" or a "Vaporize" setting"9" I want to make sure the Govt cannot jam it or otherwise disable it. And when I get the "Light Sabre" you can be assured all the safeties will be removed and it will be set to "MAX VAPORIZE" .This setting will leave no trace of the thug and nothing to process. You cant be a victim of a crime if there is no bad guy to arrest .Just a puff of smoke and POOF, GONE

Considering some of the factors to safe guns.

Biometric: must be able to recognize both hands and grip positions,wet or dry, plus another authorized person

Mechanical;  must be able to recognize both hands, with or without gloves, wet or dry hands.secondary person.

Electronic types: Incapable of being jammed, permenently charged ,lifetime, no-replacement battery .

For law enforcement : able recognize another law enforcement officers grip or electronic signiture.

Secondary person could be another police officer, your son, daughter, wife, friend,etc.

Nothing  like a good, old fashioned revolver in any calibre

I got that today and was kinda shocked, didn't think they cared about us.