Kevin125

Boonton PD Obstruction w/FID App

Not much has changed in Boonton. There was a post back in 2013 where someone here was waiting 5 months for their ID with no end in sight.

A coworker of my wife is trying to apply for a FID. He is new to shooting and is not familiar with the application process. He went to the Boonton PD and asked for forms. The LEO at the desk told him he had to have an appointment to pick up the forms. They gave him an appt 3 months from now. I believe he misunderstood and this was an appointment to drop off completed forms. I asked my wife to tell him the forms are online and I would help him if he needed help.

But the arrogance of the Boonton PD is unreal. Telling someone they had to wait 3 months just to hand in an application?

I also asked my wife to tell him to let NJ2AS know about this and to create an account here so he could become more informed.

I also told her to let him know he should send a letter to the mayor and town council by certified mail saying that his rights are being violated and that since he is of Pakistani descent they are discriminating against him racially. Hey..why not use the lefts tactics?

More to follow as I hear about it.

Good deal.  He needs to keep  on top of it.  No one should have to wait more than 30 days for approvals.  Realistically should be done within 2 weeks.  I am pushing for towns without a PD that use NJSP to turn it over to County Sheriff.  The delays at NJSP barracks are way too long.  The process needs to change.

The guy is a legal immigrant from Pakistan. He is now a US citizen and says he loves this country. He was pretty excited back in November when his son asked if they were gonna have a turkey on Thanksgiving. So my wife helped him get everything he needed (they are both managers at a Walmart). He said his family really enjoyed it.

It sucks that a guy who is a prime example of someone who comes here and embraces our way of life gets the shaft from the authorities.

Anyone who waits over 30 days without taking any action deserves to wait. That is why it takes so long nowadays. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 3

It's amazing that this town is right next to Montville, which is heads and shoulders better than that...

I live in Montville, part time, and got new P2P in three weeks from the drop off.  

Few years back my friend waited over a year in Boonton.

People need to be more aggressive and start bringing law suits against these towns. Claim something wild like civil rights violation.  If I had this issue in Montville I'd call everyday and have an attorney all of it.  

So once you hit 30 days of waiting and still nothing what are the recommended next steps? Submitted my permit app 30 days ago last week and still nothing. As I already have a FID and these are additional permits I had assumed the process would be quicker this time (I waited about 3 weeks the first time), but that does not appear to be the case. Isn't there a law stating the process must be completed within 30 days?

So once you hit 30 days of waiting and still nothing what are the recommended next steps? Submitted my permit app 30 days ago last week and still nothing. As I already have a FID and these are additional permits I had assumed the process would be quicker this time (I waited about 3 weeks the first time), but that does not appear to be the case. Isn't there a law stating the process must be completed within 30 days?

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/17848-30-day-fid-law/

ok  thanks. here's another question that wasn't answered in that thread. suppose you apply for a set number of permits, say 6, and the PD tells you flatly that they'll only provide 3. i've read that this too is illegal. what's the recourse? mind you i'm still waiting for them (see above), but when i submitted the application that's pretty much what they said when they "suggested" i switch my request from 6 to 3 (i refused).

Few years back my friend waited over a year in Boonton.

I've found that the Boonton detective one has to go through both to apply for, and to pick up permits, is the roadblock.  He won't return phone calls, it can take weeks to get an appointment, and he misses a lot of them once scheduled (maybe work related, maybe not...no good way for me to tell).   A couple of years ago, he missed so many scheduled appointments (and I missed so much work waiting for him) that I finally staked out the police department in order to catch him.  Ironic, huh?   

The chief, in my experience, signs off in fairly short order.  Always under the 30 day limit.   But it can take a long time to get those permits in hand, and I was never able to bypass the detective and deal directly with the chief, even once when I was told that the permits were ready to go, but they couldn't give them to me...I had to make an appointment with the detective.     Very disheartening to finally pick up the permits and see that a month of the clock has already run out on them (though Boonton has renewed them for me in the past).

ok  thanks. here's another question that wasn't answered in that thread. suppose you apply for a set number of permits, say 6, and the PD tells you flatly that they'll only provide 3. i've read that this too is illegal. what's the recourse? mind you i'm still waiting for them (see above), but when i submitted the application that's pretty much what they said when they "suggested" i switch my request from 6 to 3 (i refused).

Unless you have the exemption you must wait 30 days between purchases -- this means you can only use 3 permits in the 90 days they are valid

Yes you can get the extension but that is not a given -- the way it reads the extension is up to the chief -- he does not have to extend the permits 

If they tried to tell you to get 3 permits instead of 6 I bet they don't extend them...

I have a question about this process -- recently I waited 82 days

What do we file online for? Is that a background check or mental records?

Does the county have anything to do with whatever records get filed for electronically?

When we file online -- does the PD get records emailed to them or mailed to them or both? 

During my 82 day wait I was told that the county was the holdup -- I've been told this before -- Middlesex county

Then I had a question on my reference form missed -- took the PD 2 months to even see the question was missed -- my guess is they waited for the county info before they even looked at all my stuff -- My reference was called, asked why he missed the question -- my permits where within 30 days of that phone call

I have a question about this process -- recently I waited 82 days

What do we file online for? Is that a background check or mental records?

Does the county have anything to do with whatever records get filed for electronically?

When we file online -- does the PD get records emailed to them or mailed to them or both?

During my 82 day wait I was told that the county was the holdup -- I've been told this before -- Middlesex county

Then I had a question on my reference form missed -- took the PD 2 months to even see the question was missed -- my guess is they waited for the county info before they even looked at all my stuff -- My reference was called, asked why he missed the question -- my permits where within 30 days of that phone call

I believe the online part is for Criminal History Record Check.

The county "hold up" is most definitely the mental health check. I heard the same excuse from Hoboken and Hudson County. I ended up calling the county mental health office to find out what was taking so long. I doubt it helped but I did speak with an NRA instructor in the office who taught classes at the Bayonne range!

well i withdraw my complaints. got my permits today. firearms guy was on vacation apparently which is why it was a few days late. also got all 6, no problems and no questions asked. i did ask about extensions and the woman said "of course" and mentioned an additional small fee ($2? i dont remember). total wait time was 34 days which all things considered is not bad

well i withdraw my complaints. got my permits today. firearms guy was on vacation apparently which is why it was a few days late. also got all 6, no problems and no questions asked. i did ask about extensions and the woman said "of course" and mentioned an additional small fee ($2? i dont remember). total wait time was 34 days which all things considered is not bad

Congrats- and unfortunately 34 days is not bad these days!

There is NO fee for extensions.

I've found that the Boonton detective one has to go through both to apply for, and to pick up permits, is the roadblock.  He won't return phone calls, it can take weeks to get an appointment, and he misses a lot of them once scheduled (maybe work related, maybe not...no good way for me to tell).   A couple of years ago, he missed so many scheduled appointments (and I missed so much work waiting for him) that I finally staked out the police department in order to catch him.  Ironic, huh?   

The chief, in my experience, signs off in fairly short order.  Always under the 30 day limit.   But it can take a long time to get those permits in hand, and I was never able to bypass the detective and deal directly with the chief, even once when I was told that the permits were ready to go, but they couldn't give them to me...I had to make an appointment with the detective.     Very disheartening to finally pick up the permits and see that a month of the clock has already run out on them (though Boonton has renewed them for me in the past).

What is about "To Protect and to Serve" don't some of these guys understand?