John Willett

Questions for NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit at NJ SAFE Conference

I have a question. 2C:58-14 requires the Attorney General to report to the legislature annually on assault weapons surrendered, rendered inoperable, and types of criminal offenses committed with assault weapons. It also gives the AG the opportunity to recommend additions or deletions from the list of banned AWs.

This report will most likely show most AW crimes are simple possession. It would also show most AW crimes are simple possession and they are not being used for violent crimes for the most part.

If the AW laws protect us so much the AG should make available this report on the website.

Oh yeah, it would also show how many drive by bayonet assaults are committed with them.

• Like 2

Good one GRIZ! That would be one heck of a fact/stat to get a hold of. I'd be suprised if it would ever get revealed (found) as it would surely toss cold water on the anti movement. And has there ever even been a crime with a bayo lol! This is my second fav question, after mine about how many violent gun crimes are committed bu FPID holders of course :)

• Like 1

Good one GRIZ! That would be one heck of a fact/stat to get a hold of. I'd be suprised if it would ever get revealed (found) as it would surely toss cold water on the anti movement. And has there ever even been a crime with a bayo lol! This is my second fav question, after mine about how many violent gun crimes are committed bu FPID holders of course :)

Link to a copy of the law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-58/2c-58-14

Anyone know how to do a state FOIA request?

Found this which is partially helpful.

http://www.nfoic.org/new-jersey-sample-foia-request

What agency would the request go to?  Sounds like to the AG.

If it is being presented to the legislature, maybe our state senators and assembly people have copies they can share for the last how ever many years.

Ok.. so for my State Sen.. no.  They don't have it on file.  They suggested calling the AG's office.  I'll see if that's produces anything....

Got a machine.  Found the page for Open Public Records Act requests. Like FOIA.

http://www.nj.gov/lps/opra/index.html

If anyone else wants to submit a request for this in addition to me doing it, that's fine.  it would be nice to have info like this in general, and also nice to have it for the SAFE Conference.  being able to say despite X thousands of legally own semi-auto rifles, there is virtually no crime committed where these are involved, other than possession for a non-NJ compliant firearm.  So ... why are these weapons.. that actually aren't assault weapons..... banned?

I'm going to try and visit with one ofmy Assemblymen, has an office here in my town but its a pia and takes a while. Met with him once before and of course via emails and phone calls a few times. I suspect no one actually has a hands on file and most legislaters never saw or heard a report either as it was probly "made available" to a commitee and was there for all to see for a window of time if they even knew or cared to look for it.

i know they only enforce, not make the laws.

but....i read an article stating that many law enforcement agencies have come forth saying that they think it would be dangerous for us to have easy access to carry permits. could you explain this please? with stats?

i know they only enforce, not make the laws.

but....i read an article stating that many law enforcement agencies have come forth saying that they think it would be dangerous for us to have easy access to carry permits. could you explain this please? with stats?

Response: the NJSP has made no formal statements in regards, next.

You can't really ask them to justify other agencies statements.