panteramatt

Buying truck what about tags?

I bought my car in MD from this tiny auto dealer/mechanic who had like 4 cars in his "lot". I went to drive it home after signing everything, and I noticed he took the tags off. I told him I needed them to get back to NJ, but he insisted that he used to live in NJ and no one would bother me if I drove with no tags at all. I told him he was an idiot (in the nicest way possible), and he ended up photocopying his dealer tag that was originally on the car, and taping to my back window, and I drove home like that. Pure dumb luck that I didn't get pulled over during the 1.5+ hr trip. -_-

Will be A PITA, But it looks like 2 options in order to not get jammed up.

Travel down and do the transaction, Then come home and register the car Monday and make A return trip to bring it home.

Trailer it home if you know someone with A car trailer.

Before that, You still have 2 business days to contact MD DMV to see if A temp tag is available for private sale.

Thinking you're going to have to go get the tittle, bring it back to a NJ DMV - call your insurance company, get coverage, get the car registered and new tags (or transfer your current tags) - go back and put the tags on your truck and drive it home -

see if he will drive it up, make it worth his time. Then drive him back, its still only one trip on you and risk free.

As a corollary to that, have him meet you at a NJ DMV instead of the entire distance.   Have the other driver that came with you take him home while you wait in line to get plates.

You could do the same at a MD DMV to get a temp tag.

I bought my car in MD from this tiny auto dealer/mechanic who had like 4 cars in his "lot". I went to drive it home after signing everything, and I noticed he took the tags off. I told him I needed them to get back to NJ, but he insisted that he used to live in NJ and no one would bother me if I drove with no tags at all. I told him he was an idiot (in the nicest way possible), and he ended up photocopying his dealer tag that was originally on the car, and taping to my back window, and I drove home like that. Pure dumb luck that I didn't get pulled over during the 1.5+ hr trip. -_-

The guy isn't dumb. I would never let someone drive off in a vehicle with plates registered to me.

Yea Im not making 2 trips. I will have insurance on it before I leave. He told me I can use his tags but I might try to get temp MD tags.

Done deal. If the tags are still good and you have insurance your gtg. What else is there to worry about?

The guy isn't dumb. I would never let someone drive off in a vehicle with plates registered to me.

He wasn't dumb for that, that's understandable. He was dumb for insisting to me I would be alright driving it home with NO tags at all.

Roll by one cruiser with an automatic plate reader and you're done.

You'd be opening yourself up to not only unregistered vehicle and the truck towed but also ficticous display of plates.

The NJ gun owner equivalent would be writing "LONG GUN" in sharpie on the side of your 1911 so that you can bring it in to NY state.