joy

Is brass legal?

Is it true that every instance of search involves calling a supervisor? Let's assume you're right. Supervisor drives down and the cop embellishes his narrative a bit. Say he takes the boss aside and tells him you were mouthing off, you were an asshole, you resisted showing your documents. You believe the supervisor is going to pull out a law book, or tell is guy "hey it's just your word against his"? At the very least you've wasted 40 minutes. Or he might actually find something. Not in your car or mine because we always follow the law...

Its most likely an agency/municipality policy for a supervisor to be present, but for a search it will most likely have a supervisor of some sort or at least another cop or more to secure the search, you can always request. . Besides, everyone has a camera in their pocket these days, use it. Even a bad cops day can be made better by giving him an easy time with what ever it is he's trying to do. I think you fail to see how much of a pain in the ass the cop would be giving himself by conducting an illegal search and then making up an arrest. When you say the courts will figure it out, that includes grilling the cop and the evidence he collected. cops are usually only jerks like that when theyre 99% sure their gonna find something.

No he doesn't, and if he did so what? All he has to do is arrest you and -- despite no law on the books -- let the courts determine your guilt or innocence. The process is the punishment. Not once in a million years would the officer be held liable by any court in any state. You could sue him of course and after spending $200,000 on lawyers, lose. 

Again, I'm talking about the cop having a bad day. Which is why I've removed all visual evidence from my vehicle that I have anything whatsoever to do with firearms, the Grateful Dead, marijuana legalization, the Nazi Party, or NAMBLA.

Neuter All Morons Breaking Laws of America? I wanna get that sticker!  :stinker:

I rented a car to go to WV. The car had Jersey plates so I assume it was property of a Jersey car rental place. I had to pass through MD. When I got back to PA I pulled into the welcome center to arm up. Lost a hollowpoint in the car. When I got home I spent 10 minutes searching for the thing. But, oh well. I'm sure it will pop up on some Jersey victim at the worst time. It's happened before.

Every once in a while I carry a .38. I carry loaders in my pocket, which is kind of dumb, but it's not my EDC. Once I "almost" *wink wink* ended up with them in my jacket in Jersey. Now, on the rare days I carry a .38, the reloads are FMJFN just in case I forget about them. Because Jersey.

I rented a car to go to WV. The car had Jersey plates so I assume it was property of a Jersey car rental place. I had to pass through MD. When I got back to PA I pulled into the welcome center to arm up. Lost a hollowpoint in the car. When I got home I spent 10 minutes searching for the thing. But, oh well. I'm sure it will pop up on some Jersey victim at the worst time. It's happened before.

wow a hole 10 minutes! I guess you had better things to do than fix your mistake so some innocent person might not get screwed over. But who cares right? They are just some stranger that you don't give a shit about. Its story's like this that show your true personality, apparently you don't care much about personal responsibility.

wow a hole 10 minutes! I guess you had better things to do than fix your mistake so some innocent person might not get screwed over. But who cares right? They are just some stranger that you don't give a shit about. Its story's like this that show your true personality, apparently you don't care much about personal responsibility.

It was a Chevy if that helps :)

Look at the bright side. When someone gets dinged up by the police, we can point to this thread and show that it COULD be someone else's and we were unaware of it's presence. Therefore we weren't in posessession of said hollow points. Yeah right...

I ALWAYS have spent brass bouncing around in the bed of my pickup.  The tailgate makes a good bench rest and that's where the brass ends up.  It's never been a problem for me.  Of course I'm down here in the deep south...Jersey.  If my bumper stickers aren't probable cause, I doubt that spent brass will be.

Occasionally I venture out of the marshes and forest and into the big city.  I wonder if I'll ever come out to find my truck in the parking garage surrounded by the swat team.

From what I've been told by a Gibbstown cop, hallow points are not illegal to possess but can be used to hit you with more charges if used in a crime.  In other words...  If you rob a store with a firearm, you get X charge of robbery, X charge of deadly weapon, X charge of assault, etc.  If the firearm is loaded with hallow points, they can ALSO charge you with something additional.

My truck is literally littered with random 12ga shells, mostly live.  Every time I go shooting clays I use my pockets because I'm too cheap to buy a shell pouch.  In the end I always jump in my truck and have a few shells still in a random pocket.  I take em out and just put em somewhere... glove box, center console, back seat...  Always say, "I'll grab em when i get home" and 2 weeks later a co-worker or a friend will jump in my truck and pick one up, give me a funny look and ask if they should be concerned about remaining in the vehicle...  It's good for a laugh.  :p

I also have a hallow point 5.56 round that came out of the box with a nasty dent and a bend in the neck.  I *almost* loaded it, realized it at the last second.  Coulda blown my rifle apart!  I keep that 1 sitting in the little cubby in the dash...  Whenever I see a newer person at the range I break it out and show 'em...  Always check your ammo.  :p  That was a Remmington round, BTW - I'll never buy their ammo again...

I just reread your post and realized that you may not be clear on NJ hollow point laws. You may own them, and you may transport them from the store to your home and back and forth from the range. They are otherwise illegal to transport. Not in your car, not in your pocket etc.

Guy, NJ laws are sufficiently stupid by themselves, please don't invent new ones. You can drive around with buckets of brass all day they are not a thing covered by any law. You can drive around for the lifetime of the car with case of ammo in your trunk as long as it isn't hollow points.

A few weeks before I left NJ I was on a grand jury (Longest 13+ weeks of my entire life, and the stupidest) and someone was indicted for carrying nothing more than a projectile. The prosecutor called it a dum dum bullet. It was nothing more than one hollow point 9mm projectile no case, no powder nothing more  The victim I will call him was walking to his car in a mall parking lot where a car was robbed or some crap and he was asked to empty his pockets and he had ONE only. He was billed.

Every case the buffoon argued started with did he have it for a lawful purpose and went on.

From what I've been told by a Gibbstown cop, hallow points are not illegal to possess but can be used to hit you with more charges if used in a crime.  In other words...  If you rob a store with a firearm, you get X charge of robbery, X charge of deadly weapon, X charge of assault, etc.  If the firearm is loaded with hallow points, they can ALSO charge you with something additional.

My truck is literally littered with random 12ga shells, mostly live.  Every time I go shooting clays I use my pockets because I'm too cheap to buy a shell pouch.  In the end I always jump in my truck and have a few shells still in a random pocket.  I take em out and just put em somewhere... glove box, center console, back seat...  Always say, "I'll grab em when i get home" and 2 weeks later a co-worker or a friend will jump in my truck and pick one up, give me a funny look and ask if they should be concerned about remaining in the vehicle...  It's good for a laugh.   :p

I also have a hallow point 5.56 round that came out of the box with a nasty dent and a bend in the neck.  I *almost* loaded it, realized it at the last second.  Coulda blown my rifle apart!  I keep that 1 sitting in the little cubby in the dash...  Whenever I see a newer person at the range I break it out and show 'em...  Always check your ammo.   :p  That was a Remmington round, BTW - I'll never buy their ammo again...

I agree the transport and HP laws are stupid, but sorry dude but IMHO I think you're being a bit flippant with the laws. Get yourself an ammo can, or better yet an unmarked opaque plastic container, for your car.

A few weeks before I left NJ I was on a grand jury (Longest 13+ weeks of my entire life, and the stupidest) and someone was indicted for carrying nothing more than a projectile. The prosecutor called it a dum dum bullet. It was nothing more than one hollow point 9mm projectile no case, no powder nothing more The victim I will call him was walking to his car in a mall parking lot where a car was robbed or some crap and he was asked to empty his pockets and he had ONE only. He was billed.

Every case the buffoon argued started with did he have it for a lawful purpose and went on.

Wow ! What was the verdict ?

I always thought that to indict means that a decision was made to take a case to the court and try to prosecute the individual ? I guess not.

A grand jury decides if the case is reasonable enough to go to court. It's a line of defense to ensure there is evidence supporting enough probable cause. Essentially its a decision on whether or not the arrest of the individual was legit. If enough people find cause for arrest, then the person is indicted and the charges remain, the case moves to criminals court where conviction must be absolute.