tblant

Can I store a co-workers guns

The CEO asked if I could store another employee's guns because a fire severely damaged his house. Our company is storing furniture in the warehouse but am I allowed to store his guns in my home? I don't know how many or if handguns or long guns. I have a firearms ID card and I amassuming his guns are NJ legal. I only met this guy once so I didn't reach out to him yet (different building then where I work). Thanks

I think this is the place that n4p226r is referring to...

https://firearmssupport.com/storage/gunsitters/

Have some friends that used them quite successfully. I believe that he will need P2P's to retrieve the handguns, but he should be able to do it under an exemption from OGAM.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think this is the place that n4p226r is referring to...

https://firearmssupport.com/storage/gunsitters/

Have some friends that used them quite successfully. I believe that he will need P2P's to retrieve the handguns, but he should be able to do it under an exemption from OGAM.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think you only need the paperwork if your signing over possession for legal reasons. It seems kinda sketchy, as if your hiding the fact they belong to you, but I'm sure instances happen where it's needed... Looks like they will outright just store them for you with no requirements for pickup.

No for the handguns! You could do a transfer of the long guns with a COE where you effectively "buy" them and then "sell" them back later.

That's not legal either. It's a straw purchase if he buys them with the intent to "sell" them back.

The plain answer is no, you cannot store those guns unless your co-worker moved in with you.

That's legal either.  It's a straw purchase if he buys them with the intent to "sell" them back.

The plain answer is no, you cannot store those guns unless your co-worker moved in with you.  

I think you were trying to say not legal, but that is why I used the word "effectively", as that is what I understand that FSS does and they do that legally.

That's legal either. It's a straw purchase if he buys them with the intent to "sell" them back.

How is it a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is where someone not otherwise disqualified buys a gun legally with the intent to supply it to someone who cannot buy it legally.

A transfer with CoE and FPID from one person to another is perfectly legal. So is a transfer in the opposite direction. So long as both parties have a valid FPID and CoE forms are filled in each time there is no law broken. You don't even have to keep the forms after the transfer.

In fact I'd encourage everyone to do it as often as possible just to annoy the likes of Weinberg.

ETA: This applies to rifles and shotguns only. All handgun transfers need a PTPP and are subject to the OGAM rules, etc.

In fact I'd encourage everyone to do it as often as possible just to annoy the likes of Weinberg.

Stu, I like the way you think.  Unfortunately since there is no paper trail for the state to see COE transfers bitch Loretta would never know about it so no opportunity to piss her off :)

• Like 1

A straw purchase is where someone not otherwise disqualified buys a gun legally with the intent to supply it to someone who cannot buy it legally.

A transfer with CoE and FPID from one person to another is perfectly legal. So is a transfer in the opposite direction. So long as both parties have a valid FPID and CoE forms are filled in each time there is no law broken. You don't even have to keep the forms after the transfer.

ETA: This applies to rifles and shotguns only. All handgun transfers need a PTPP and are subject to the OGAM rules, etc.

. Supreme Court says if you buy a gun for someone else, even if they are legally allowed to own it themselves then it is a straw purchaseb

That's not how I understand "real property possessed by you" to be interpreted. Renting a space in someone's basement where you can securely store and exclusively access your firearms seems no different than if they were kept in a storage unit.

. Supreme Court says if you buy a gun for someone else, even if they are legally allowed to own it themselves then it is a straw purchaseb

Not sure how this affects FSS's operation - one would assume that they thoroughly vetted their business plan with a good firearms lawyer, but n4p226r is correct - the article is linked below. This took place while Scalia was on the court - just imagine what the court will be like with another liberal, activist justice.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20141107/supreme-court-grants-batfe-broad-leeway-on-straw-purchase-rules-in-abramski-v-united-states

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I fixed it. It is a straw purchas based on the intent described here.

It works for storage with FSS because they are FFLs and they book them in.

Paid storage sounds like the best option. If you absolutely must keep his stuff at your house, he could drop them off in a $100 Stack-on safe and not give you the combination. Not sure if there are any particulars about Jersey that would make that illegal (except "guns"), but it's not rare in America. Doubt I would do that for somebody I don't even know, though. Why are you bothering?

That's not how I understand "real property possessed by you" to be interpreted. Renting a space in someone's basement where you can securely store and exclusively access your firearms seems no different than if they were kept in a storage unit.

'

You cannot rent a space in someone's basement unless you're living in it too. You can store with companies like FSS because they are an FFL book the guns in and can pass a BATFE audit. It may be the same booking as Gunsmithing.

'

You cannot rent a space in someone's basement unless you're living in it too. You can store with companies like FSS because they are an FFL book the guns in and can pass a BATFE audit. It may be the same booking as Gunsmithing.

I disagree. If an FFL is taking them into their possession, they either log them into their Gunsmithing Book for gunsmith work, or their A&E Book for transfer. I suspect that the FFL neither has, nor should have, specific information, ie make, model, serial #, to what is being "stored" on their premise. Any documentation on their part eludes to improper procedures against ATF Regulations.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Just to add my opnion, I believe that firearms can be stored anywhere, as long as no one else has access. Even ATF says you can mail it to a hotel in another state as long as it is "secure in a cardboard box". (my quote)

'

That doesn't make sense to me.  A person can rent a bunch of houses or building and do not have to live in them for the locations to be possessed by the renter.  I can rent an apartment and store guns in them without ever living in it.

• Like 1

Paid storage sounds like the best option. If you absolutely must keep his stuff at your house, he could drop them off in a $100 Stack-on safe and not give you the combination. Not sure if there are any particulars about Jersey that would make that illegal (except "guns"), but it's not rare in America. Doubt I would do that for somebody I don't even know, though. Why are you bothering?

I didn't offer to do it. The owner of the company asked me via email. I was looking for something to hang my hat on in terms of not doing this and more or less got that here. I preferred to say it is not legal than simply say "no". Anyway, I explained it is not allowed.

You're obviously smarter than this guy or your boss. For a friend I would consider something, who knows what kind of drama or legal crap would come from this stranger. In PA there is less legal peril, because you can borrow handguns if you have LTCF. So I could drive up to a friend's house and simply drive off with all his gear except for NFA/Title II.

That doesn't make sense to me.  A person can rent a bunch of houses or building and do not have to live in them for the locations to be possessed by the renter.  I can rent an apartment and store guns in them without ever living in it.

Exactly my point. Thanks.

Yes they can keep the guns anywhere they live. If he is renting from his friend he can keep,guns there. It's not a storage agreement.

I disagree. If an FFL is taking them into their possession, they either log them into their Gunsmithing Book for gunsmith work, or their A&E Book for transfer. I suspect that the FFL neither has, nor should have, specific information, ie make, model, serial #, to what is being "stored" on their premise. Any documentation on their part eludes to improper procedures against ATF Regulations.

I was clear that I wasn't sure how they booked them. If they book them AE then you need to NICS them back when being retrieved which would include hand gun permits. They're doing something correctly because they've been operating for a while.

As mentioned by other posters there is no paper trail on long guns so there's really nothing preventing that. However, if everyone believes this is ok why are you bothering to force someone to fill out a COE for private sales if the paper goes nowhere? The seller is even obliged to keep a copy.

This may or may not have happened with a friend of mine, when he may or may not have been out of town for a couple months and may or may not have wanted to prevent his brother from getting at his hypothetical gun.

• Like 2