Howard

Trenton legislators to raid our pockets even more

They are at it again, another few pennies at a time

http://www.nj.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2016/05/using_that_plastic_bag_is_going_to_cost_you_nj_bil.html

Notice they now want us to pay for what is free.  But they will take some of the money themselves, let stores take some too, and screw the average citizen.  Another income redistribution scheme where they exempt Sr. Citizens and those that are already getting income redistribution.  This crap has to end.

Nothing is free.  Stores take the cost of the bags into account when design the prices.  So, we're going to pay twice.

Hope the legislature will pass enough laws like this to make voters angry and force them out.  But Christi should conditionally veto the bill so the law applies to everyone, no exceptions.

Nothing is free.  Stores take the cost of the bags into account when design the prices.  So, we're going to pay twice.

Hope the legislature will pass enough laws like this to make voters angry and force them out.  But Christi should conditionally veto the bill so the law applies to everyone, no exceptions.

Exactly.   I know this for a fact..  First hand.  Walmart budgets check out supplies which includes plastic bags.  They are part of the cost and go to the bottom line of the store.

You are already paying for them.

The 1 cent is a way for retailers to support it.  The rest is complete bull shit.  They want a tax so we can pay them to run PR campaigns to support more of the crap they want us to pay for. Plus, fund some lead program that has nothing to do with plastic shopping bags.

Boiled to death.. 1 degree at a time.

• Like 1

Yes.  Bring your own reusable bags to the store and screw 'em.  

Yeah man, recycle your own salmonella, e coli and noroviruses!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/plastic-bag-ban_n_2641430.html

"Plastic Bag Ban Responsible For Spike In E. Coli Infections, Study Says"

The real answer is sustainable paper bags, you know, the ones we used before tree huggers forced us into plastic bags.

Yeah man, recycle your own salmonella, e coli and noroviruses!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/plastic-bag-ban_n_2641430.html

"Plastic Bag Ban Responsible For Spike In E. Coli Infections, Study Says"

However, washing the bags, either by hand or in a washing machine, eliminated 99.9 percent of the pathogens.

While I'd prefer they let stores do this as a credit instead (Target will credit you 5 cents per bag re-used), I'm ok with this in general.  I much prefer to use my own bags.  I have a set of 5 canvas bags and a couple of insulated bags I keep in my car, all the bags fit inside the biggest one.

Throw them in the shopping cart as I head into the store, bag into them at checkout, never have to worry about them breaking when hauling from the car to inside the house.  One set of sturdy handles to grab that don't cut into my hand, no struggle to keep everything inside the bag.

It's a simple habit to get into.

"However, washing the bags, either by hand or in a washing machine, eliminated 99.9 percent of the pathogens. "

Because there is no environmental impact at all to washing 100 billion (US consumption estimate) plastic bags every year?

• Like 2

I'm no tree hugging liberal by any means.  But I have no problem using reusable bags.  Too much plastic in our oceans and every where else for that matter.   Every little bit helps I guess.  The only thing is now I would have to buy dog  dookie bags instead of using my shoprite bags.

Always picking at the low hanging fruit and in the end makes no difference at all.  So we won't have plastic bags to kick around, just thousands of other containers to kick down road.  Next up, cans and bottles like NY, there's another legislative joke.  Seen any cleaner roads in NY because of it?

• Like 1

"However, washing the bags, either by hand or in a washing machine, eliminated 99.9 percent of the pathogens. "

Because there is no environmental impact at all to washing 100 billion (US consumption estimate) plastic bags every year?

This is so true.  Years ago I worked with a guy that did consulting in the packaging industry and he told me a story about his church had decided to ditch plastic cups for re-usable coffee cups.  They thought they were being green.  He did a detailed analysis and showed the total cost was much greater in terms of dollars and environmental hard from the re-usable.  He detailed how the pollution caused by the soap and wastewater and the fossil fuels burned to heat the water were worse than the impact of the plastic cups and their cost.

• Like 1

I know of several institutions both public and private that went from durable serving items (Plates, silverware, cups) to one time use plastic  because of cost of maintenance, sterilization issues, and pathogens at the request of their insurance carrier.  Funny how things work.

Reading comprehension is a lost skill.  Go read the article.

The washing is referring to **reuseable** bags, like the canvas ones I use and might wash a couple of times a *year* if meat juice leaks out of a package or something.

Article is not advocating washing all the plastic bags out there.

Reading comprehension is a lost skill.  Go read the article.

The washing is referring to **reuseable** bags, like the canvas ones I use and might wash a couple of times a *year* if meat juice leaks out of a package or something.

Article is not advocating washing all the plastic bags out there.

Well said

While I'd prefer they let stores do this as a credit instead (Target will credit you 5 cents per bag re-used), I'm ok with this in general.  I much prefer to use my own bags.  I have a set of 5 canvas bags and a couple of insulated bags I keep in my car, all the bags fit inside the biggest one.

Throw them in the shopping cart as I head into the store, bag into them at checkout, never have to worry about them breaking when hauling from the car to inside the house.  One set of sturdy handles to grab that don't cut into my hand, no struggle to keep everything inside the bag.

It's a simple habit to get into.

I wouldn't shop at Target. Not for anything. I don't care if they gave me $$$ per bag. 

Here is one reason :  http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/19/this-man-saved-a-girl-from-being-stabbed-to-death-and-now-target-is-suing-him-for-it/

Their bathroom policy is another.

I wouldn't shop at Target. Not for anything. I don't care if they gave me $$$ per bag. 

Here is one reason :  http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/19/this-man-saved-a-girl-from-being-stabbed-to-death-and-now-target-is-suing-him-for-it/

Their bathroom policy is another.

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't well but what are they suing him for?

OK more to the story.

http://www.snopes.com/target-sues-hero-stabbing/

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't well but what are they suing him for?

OK more to the story.

http://www.snopes.com/target-sues-hero-stabbing/

It was in another article.

While Meadows thanks Turner, Target blames him. Court documents say the company claims Turner chased Walls with a baseball bat into the entrance of the store, creating more danger to those inside.