AS350Driver

No more drag races in Englishtown!

3 hours ago, sota said:

Pretty much why i stopped going circa 2008.  It got really old spending 2 hours round trip driving, plus prep on both ends, plus $40 (or whatever it cost) to make 3 passes in 5 hours, because fucksticks with overboosted hondas would blow up and oil down the entire track.  multiple times the owner came over the PA system and said the next person who oils down the whole track will cause the track to close for the night.

I bought in to a test-and-tune private track rental day down at Atco once.  39 runs in 1 day for $125.  Best day ever.

Rentals are $200 now

Anybody go to Island Dragway in Great Meadows?  I was going a couple years back when they had the Wednesday night BBQ test and tunes.  I'd get 5 or 6 runs, some mediocre chicken or burgers & dogs, for $15 I think.

The place still looks like it did when I went back in the '80s though.

13 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Anybody go to Island Dragway in Great Meadows?  I was going a couple years back when they had the Wednesday night BBQ test and tunes.  I'd get 5 or 6 runs, some mediocre chicken or burgers & dogs, for $15 I think.

The place still looks like it did when I went back in the '80s though.

I lived in Independence Twp (but on the Hackettstown side) and, for a short time, served on one of the EMS squads out there that Island Dragway would contract to "stand by" at the track on race day...  I did that twice.. once on my own, actually.. Sometimes, even the NJSP would also stand by there and test their radar equipment as the cars made their passes.  This would have been in the early 90's, so I don't know if the track is still in operation (as I recall, there is also a huge sod farm on the property). But the family that ran it at the time was very nice and gave us EMTs free food while we stood by.

Are they still racing on the track, today?

Island was a dump and still is a dump. The pits are grass! Wtf lol. 

I raced there once maybe in 2002 when my car was trapping 112mph. Even then the shut down area was so small I had to slam the brakes. Now trapping 133 with skinnies and small front brakes. No thank you! 

I drove past it last year because the Costa class was at a range right behind it. Yeah, it's still a dump. 

Ill go yo Atco as usual. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, 67gtonut said:

It is being leased to CoPart to store cars for their auction houses......

Shame, kids who now own the place went for the easy money.... 

So it was a business decision which makes them more money and less heartache.  I would have done it too.

The only thing I liked about E town was the swap meets. And it never failed to rain the day before it was a mud pit. I use to bracket race at atco  in the early 90s .  I ran a big block camaro  sleeper. I got runner up twice in 120-130 car field.I made the guys in the stands betting on me a lot of money. I miss racing   PS I hated the drag bike guys .