Tom609

Which .22 to buy?

I'm interested in getting a .22 pistol as soon as my permits come through (references were called this week). I'm thinking that I want to go with either the Browning Buckmark Camper or the Ruger 22/45. After picking up a CZ452 a few months ago, I'm finding that a good .22 is cheap fun and allows for more practice. I think I want it with the 5 1/2" bull barrel. They both list around the same price - $325. Anyone own one or can give a recommendation? Thanks!

It seems like they all come in sub $300. I've heard the rap about take down of the Ruger, but other than that, everyone seems pleased. I have a few Smiths (5906 and 686) so I may look into the 22A too.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.

Thank you, Maksim. I appreciate the offer and will keep that in mind.

We have a ruger mk3 hunter as well as a buckmark URX bullseye target.

Each can be a great gun, and both are dead accurate and reliable. The ruger required some 'hop up' parts to get there, the Buckmark simply required swapping an OEM spring. The buckmark is also easier to take apart, and replacement barrels aren't FFL items like a Ruger upper is.

The Ruger Mk lll in Stainless is a beautiful piece! It is silly accurate, especially with the red dot sight. I also love my son's Buckmark, it probably has a little better trigger than the Ruger. I don't know what all the flap about taking it apart is? All I need is a paperclip and I am set. The Buckmark requires an allen wrench. I also just got a Targus Model 94 22LR revolver (in stainless, of course) and am in the process of breaking it in. The trigger is quite hard and the action sometimes binds but it is getting better with use. I am going to run another brick through it and see if it is better. If not, I'll have to send it to Targus for a tune up.

taurus2.jpg

The Ruger Mk lll in Stainless is a beautiful piece! It is silly accurate, especially with the red dot sight. I also love my son's Buckmark, it probably has a little better trigger than the Ruger. I don't know what all the flap about taking it apart is? All I need is a paperclip and I am set. The Buckmark requires an allen wrench. I also just got a Targus Model 94 22LR revolver (in stainless, of course) and am in the process of breaking it in. The trigger is quite hard and the action sometimes binds but it is getting better with use. I am going to run another brick through it and see if it is better. If not, I'll have to send it to Targus for a tune up.

How do you like shooting a revolver in a 22?

Is it picky with ammo? The ruger picky with the ammo?

thanks.

I didn't have any revolver and got the .22 so it would be fun and cheap to shoot. So far I like it a lot. All of my guns eat any ammo I put in it. The XD9 shoots all sorts of 9mm, both factory and reloads, 115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain. Lead, FMJ, TMJ, JHP, Montana Gold, Ranier, Speer, etc.

taurus6.jpg

I didn't have any revolver and got the .22 so it would be fun and cheap to shoot. So far I like it a lot. All of my guns eat any ammo I put in it. The XD9 shoots all sorts of 9mm, both factory and reloads, 115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain. Lead, FMJ, TMJ, JHP, Montana Gold, Ranier, Speer, etc.

taurus6.jpg

Have a xd 45gap, ate up anything. what about the ruger?

The Ruger was the first pistol I bought after about 40 years with no pistols. It shoots flawlessly and is very accurate. A real tack driver and it shoots any brand of ammo I have tried...from cheapo Winchester to fancy target stuff.

I love the 22a. Smith and Wesson. Newer gun. Have it all black, check out the forums here under the S&W catalog.

Just went to take it out today. Shot straight as a whistle. Only had a few ammo issues, probly older ammo?

uBcsVJnGo14&feature=related

What ammo do you find works best? I have a 22A and I get a few misfires every box of ammo. I'm not sure if it's the ammo or not though. I reload the round and have the same result. I've been using American Eagle 38gr plated.

I will open up a Rimfire forum here... so post it there. I have a 22a and now it works very well. First 500 rounds were horrid. Give it a very good clean, after every time you shoot at least 250 rounds.

CCI Blazers, and Aguila 40grain work very well. Anything roundnose bullet will work better than hollowpoints.

Rimfires can be finicky when dirty. I worked on a friends S&W 622 recently. It was misfiring 2-3 times in each mag. The bolt had carbon built up around the extractor and edge of the bolt face. It was preventing the bolt from completely mating with the end of the brass. Which was causing a thousanths of an inch gap between the rim and bolt resulting in not enough firing pin pressure. Wow I rambled. In short, try a good cleaning.

I've got the Ruger 22/45 with the 5 1/2" barrel as well. It's an amazingly accurate gun to shoot because of the long sight radius and it feels a lot like a 1911, making it good for a little crosstraining.

Surprisingly, it still gets people's attention at the range. I first saw one of those things like 12 years ago, From the size, people expect it to be like a 50 AE. (Why is it that people think bigger guns have more recoil?)

I decided on this- http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=448

It is definitely a seller's market today and you have to feel lucky when you can actually find the gun you want in stock. I traveled to see Butch in Vineland and wasn't disappointed. When I called him he said they had three Buck Marks in stock. When I got there later that day there were two. I even feel fortunate that I didn't have to pay MSRP, although it wasn't that much off. Still, I'm happy with it and plan to get out on Sunday morning and put it through its paces.

Also, it's hard feeling bad when you have two more permits waiting to be used! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Col...how are the prices up there?

The Neos is a little too radical looking for me.

Jim Flynn of Jim Flynn's Truck Repair in Glen Gardner is charging me $325 which is a good price. The price for a Camper was $245. He has very reasonable prices, some of the best around and he is a really good guy. I changed my order twice and he was very understanding.