BobA

Name change

Does anyone know (first hand please) if my fiance takes my name once we're married will she have to go through the whole process to change her name on her FID?  And if so, what of her pistols?  Same thing there? And during the process is her possession in limbo?  And since her driver's license is the means of ID for the process once she gets that changed and it doesn't match her FID until she gets the new one is issued is she a criminal for the multi-month process for a new FID card?     See the goofy questions they force us to face? 

11 minutes ago, BobA said:

Does anyone know (first hand please) if my fiance takes my name once we're married will she have to go through the whole process to change her name on her FID?  And if so, what of her pistols?  Same thing there? And during the process is her possession in limbo?  And since her driver's license is the means of ID for the process once she gets that changed and it doesn't match her FID until she gets the new one is issued is she a criminal for the multi-month process for a new FID card?     See the goofy questions they force us to face? 

Yes, she will have to go through the process again..  

• Like 1

So, she will have to change her drivers license first, since it is the only ID my barracks will accept, go without matching docs for the 4 months it takes them to produce?  It is a rediculous catch 22. I guess the sensible hassle free option is to just keep her own name. 

2 minutes ago, BobA said:

So, she will have to change her drivers license first, since it is the only ID my barracks will accept, go without matching docs for the 4 months it takes them to produce?  It is a rediculous catch 22. I guess the sensible hassle free option is to just keep her own name. 

When I changed my address, they did not take my FID card until they gave me the new one.. 

5 minutes ago, BobA said:

Local or NJSP?  

Also the reason I’m even asking is I can only find address change rules and not name change rules. 

I think the key is that if you change one document (i.e. the DL or State ID), you must then change the other (FPID). The problem arises when both are "out of sync."  I'd think the FFL might have some difficulties in getting you cleared for that given purchase.  I might also steer clear of acquiring any P2Ps with the old name as well... if that's applicable.  

5 minutes ago, BobA said:

The original permits are in her original name. We don’t particularly want to renew them. 

It's a "permit to purchase", not to posses.  Once you purchased (or allowed to expire), it's of no value.

18 minutes ago, BobA said:

The original permits are in her original name. We don’t particularly want to renew them. 

Mrs sumtin sumtin bob a. It’s not like she’s a different person.

also.. many women use their maiden names for things. I’m not sure you even need to change the fpid card. Address change, yes.

26 minutes ago, BobA said:

You don't have to. I don't think there's even a way to do it. It was her legal name when she purchased them.

Look at it this way, if she had a car with the title under her maiden name, would she have to change it to her married name? And if she didn't, does that mean she doesn't own the car anymore?

Don't worry about it. Enjoy the guns and your new wife.

• Like 2

lol, my wife is licensed through the State and DEA, it took her almost 6 months to get all her documents changed over. 

If the permits aren't used, then they are probably trash once she officially changes her name, primarily because of the new ID she will have won't match for verification. 

I do believe the statute has carved out requiring an new ID for change of name. 

36 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Mrs sumtin sumtin bob a. It’s not like she’s a different person.

also.. many women use their maiden names for things. I’m not sure you even need to change the fpid card. Address change, yes.

Well the end result is to probably keep her name. But after what I just went through at two different Cabelas license and card has to match to the “T”. No other FFL gave me an issue. Too long a story to type on a cell. Maybe when I get home on a key board. 

And yes @Zeke she’s not a different person now. But once “it” happens they all change. But that’s another thread. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BobA said:

And yes @Zeke she’s not a different person now. But once “it” happens they all change. But that’s another thread.

58 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Truer words have seldom been spoken.

Seriously, boys? :facepalm:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Well congratulations!

i guess 

she’ll make ya a better man Clark

Alright. Let’s just slow down here. We only got engaged last Christmas. And just got rings a few days ago. There’s still important details to be worked out like this FID card stuff and all. You can’t just rush into these things. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobA said:

Alright. Let’s just slow down here. We only got engaged last Christmas. And just got rings a few days ago. There’s still important details to be worked out like this FID card stuff and all. You can’t just rush into these things. 

Congrats to you both!

What she bought is HERS under what ever name she used.  No need to reapply for P2P's!  Nothing is in "limbo" and she can transport & shoot her guns.

If she needs an address change too, do it all at once & get some copies of the marriage license with the raised seal from the town Vital Statistics Dept. wherein ya get married.  You'll need several, including one for Social Security Administration, Passport renewal, professional licenses, etc.  Then apply for FID name & address change.  Don't worry, she isn't the first gun-totin' bride the state of NJ has ever laid eyes on!  In the meantime, she can still buy ammo with her yellow card (ammo makes nice Christmas presents too)! :) 

Right about now I could make a "gun joke" about using a chamber checker before ya say "I DO", but I won't cause I'm not lookin' for another facepalm from Peel, lol!

You two have a great Christmas & congrats from Lori & I!

Rosey

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh come on guys.....It's not that bad,  Look at it this way @BobA 

You'll never have to question who's going to win an argument
You'll never have to wonder who's right or wrong in any situation
You'll never have to worry about who's going to have the last word
And if you think differently - you'll know how comfortable the couch can be.

So congrats to you and your new  boss  bride, Mrs. BobA.   :)

22 minutes ago, SJG said:

she can keep her maiden name or assume your last name or can do both last names with a hyphen.

What kind of liberal, hippie garbage is this.  If she doesn't take your last name, call the entire thing off.  PRONTO.  Like yesterday.

You've been engaged for a year already  This shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.  

Though it does sound like you have a good one...she has her own guns after all.  Give her a week to come to her senses.  :)  THEN call the whole thing off if she doesn't come around!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

What kind of liberal, hippie garbage is this.  If she doesn't take your last name, call the entire thing off.  PRONTO.  Like yesterday.

Glen, Glen... GLEN! Who knew you were such a overbearing, knuckle-draggin' Neanderthal? :huh:  Disappointing!