njpilot

My First AR-15

Congrats on your first blackie.

Beware of "tactical syndrome" which will begin draining your wallet dry very soon! :lol:

Very true, but you can't drain something that is already empty ;)

My AR is a Stag as well. I built the stripped lower and ordered the upper. It's a fantastic shooter, and I have never had a malfunction (knock on wood).

I have had problems with mine but only when shooting Wolf steel case ammo. Any other ammo she eats it up.

Just a little FYI for you.

I had a interesting conversation with a salesmen who sells the CNC machines to most of the firearm's manufacturers in New England. He told me that Bushmaster does not build any part of their firearms. everything is sub-contacted out. That surprised me somewhat.

My AR is a Stag as well. I built the stripped lower and ordered the upper. It's a fantastic shooter, and I have never had a malfunction (knock on wood).

I have had problems with mine but only when shooting Wolf steel case ammo. Any other ammo she eats it up.

Really?? I must of shot over 1000rds of Wolf with no problems what-so-ever. I guess each rifle is a little different?

Really?? I must of shot over 1000rds of Wolf with no problems what-so-ever. I guess each rifle is a little different?

Wolf is said to be corrosive to AR's and is shunned by many. I haven't tried Wolf in my AR yet and am trying to avoid doing so.

I wish AR's would eat Wolf ammo like AK's do. Life would be a lot easier (and cheaper). :lol:

Wolf is shunned by many because "most" brand name ARs (Colts, Bushmaster, DPMS, and I'm sure others) will void the warranty if you use steel cased ammo. I built most of my rifle myself, so I have no warranty ;)

The ammo is NOT corrosive. It does have a polymer based coating applied to the steel cases to make them slippery; for lack of a better term. Now if you live in the desert, and shoot a ton of Wolf when the rifle is hot, you will probably have malfunctions due to some of the coating building up. But as long as you clean the bore and chamber after you are done shooting, in most rifles you can shoot all the Wolf you like. It just may void your warranty.

It wasn't only the build up of the lacker, it was the failed ejection of 2 cases and a few other rounds didn't shot after I pulled the trigger. I had to use a cleaning rod and shove out the shell casings to clear the chamber. Plus those misfires were a little scary in that I wasn't familar with the rifle yet and was worried about the round blowing up in the gun or something. I do shot wolf steel cased ammo in 9mm and 45acp and have had not a single problem. But the 223 stuff should be avoided even though they are way cheaper than brass stuff. You get what you pay for with these bullets.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the collapsible stock is not legal in NJ?

Sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

that is correct, folding or collapsable stocks are not legal in NJ. what most dealers do is they permanently pin the stock so it does not move.

Russian surplus

Russia never had surplus 5.56. What they did have, along with factories in Serbia, Croatia and other's in that area sitting idle. The ammo is used extensively and usually functions fine. Not the greatest but the price was right. With today's market being what it is, no one is turning their nose up at Wolf.

They happen to make some of the best and most accurate 22lr ammo available. their primers are well regarded.