JC_68Westy

Primer Availability

I can't believe that I just spent $500 for 5000 SPP. Especially a brand I have never used. Has anyone here ever used Murom primers? It is ridiculous that CCI and Winchester haven't been available in bulk for quite some time. I was going to buy 1000rds of 9mm but looked at all of the components and powder I have. $500 wouldn't even buy me 1500rds of 9mm. Has anyone found any good sources online? My local gun shops are selling primers by the 100.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, all of the CCI and other major manufacturers are dedicating their primers for ammo production with almost none going to reloaders! I used Discord a year ago and got a good supply of CCI and Federal primers. I paid an average of $75 per thousand with tax and hazmat. No great deal for sure but they just don't exist now!

39 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Unfortunately, all of the CCI and other major manufacturers are dedicating their primers for ammo production with almost none going to reloaders! I used Discord a year ago and got a good supply of CCI and Federal primers. I paid an average of $75 per thousand with tax and hazmat. No great deal for sure but they just don't exist now!

It's up to about $105 now for regular CCI.  Benchrest & "Gold" are even more.

1 hour ago, JC_68Westy said:

I can't believe that I just spent $500 for 5000 SPP. Especially a brand I have never used. Has anyone here ever used Murom primers? It is ridiculous that CCI and Winchester haven't been available in bulk for quite some time. I was going to buy 1000rds of 9mm but looked at all of the components and powder I have. $500 wouldn't even buy me 1500rds of 9mm. Has anyone found any good sources online? My local gun shops are selling primers by the 100.

TargetsportsUSA had some by the case (5k).  But they were $650 total for shipping and NJ tax.  

They still have in stock but they are Remington SPP.  They also hav CCI SRP in stock.  

Is it pricey.  Yes.  But it's better than trying to scrap together 1k here and one 1k there (if you can find any).  And honestly it's not THAT much more.  Last year I was buying online and it was $105 with shipping and hazmat.  I'm sure prices are probably even a little more now.  And like I said, that's if you can find them.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/small-pistol-c-2807.aspx

scored 5k of  CCI #450s from powdervalley earlier today for $410~ shipped/hazmat.  also got 400s last week for the same price.  

if you setup alerts from shootingbot.com you have a fair chance of copping some for a good price.  

if you don't want to play the pop up game, just get em from targetsports or the murom/ginex from everywhere else.  

• Informative 1

After posting this I looked at more forums and the consensus appears to be that Murom primers are good to go. From what I read, they are the company that makes Tula primers. I have had very good luck with Tula primers. I have thousands of Tula primers that I bought in 2007-2008 and have never had an issue. I ordered yesterday and will have them on Thursday. The cost was $499.90 for the primers and shipping $22.57 for a total of $522.47. Looks like HAZMAT was baked into the price. If they work well, I will be ordering another 5000.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

This saddens me, that is an astronomical price for primers. Primer unavailability is matched by bullet selection, which are non-existent in some areas. I have watchlists on a few sites (Graf's, Precision Reloading, etc.) and have been waiting for certain bullets for more than two years now.  I can't find the .224", .243" & .257', .358" or .429" rifle bullets I've used for years that were always available. I reached out to Hammer bullets this week and they have availability but cost for just the bullet start @ $.1.60.  Tough times right now. 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

This saddens me, that is an astronomical price for primers. Primer unavailability is matched by bullet selection, which are non-existent in some areas. I have watchlists on a few sites (Graf's, Precision Reloading, etc.) and have been waiting for certain bullets for more than two years now.  I can't find the .224", .243" & .257', .358" or .429" rifle bullets I've used for years that were always available. I reached out to Hammer bullets this week and they have availability but cost for just the bullet start @ $.1.60.  Tough times right now. 

I have a lot of powder, brass, and bullets (with the exception of certain hunting bullets). We are in a sad state of affairs. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I see them coming into stock more often than in the last year. The problem is that lots of people who got hosed by the panic buying have decided to get into reloading and tons of reloaders who bought a thousand here and there and didn't shoot volume have realized they need to have inventory on hand. So there is a LOT, LOT more consumption of the product. 

Been waiting two years to buy 30/30 ammo at something other than ridiculous pricing.  

Saw some 30/30 Hornady 165 grain flex tips pop up last year and bought them.  Also picked up some Leverolution Powder.  Just need some large rifle primers now. 

Guess I'll need to buy a single stage press now as well.  :)

5 hours ago, Parker said:

I have watchlists on a few sites (Graf's, Precision Reloading, etc.) and have been waiting for certain bullets for more than two years now.  

I feel your pain.  I've been on a handful of watchlists for two years as well, trying to find an oddball pistol bullet.   The wait is made worse knowing that once production starts to catch up, the manufacturers will have to focus on the common calibers first, and until the supply chain is stocked with those, the low-volume calibers still won't be getting cranked out.

26 minutes ago, 10X said:

I feel your pain.  I've been on a handful of watchlists for two years as well, trying to find an oddball pistol bullet.   The wait is made worse knowing that once production starts to catch up, the manufacturers will have to focus on the common calibers first, and until the supply chain is stocked with those, the low-volume calibers still won't be getting cranked out.

What bullet are you looking for? A lot of places have been getting caught up for the common stuff. 

32 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

What bullet are you looking for? A lot of places have been getting caught up for the common stuff. 

I have noticed better availability for some common bullets; fortunately, I shoot a lot of cast bullets, and never had a hint of a problem finding those throughout this mess.  

I'm also fortunate that I normally shoot a lot more target handgun rounds than I do high power rifle.   A pound of Bullseye goes a LOT farther than a pound of 4895!

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I have noticed better availability for some common bullets; fortunately, I shoot a lot of cast bullets, and never had a hint of a problem finding those throughout this mess.  

I'm also fortunate that I normally shoot a lot more target handgun rounds than I do high power rifle.   A pound of Bullseye goes a LOT farther than a pound of 4895!

I bought a lot of cast bullets in the past year fro Rim Rock bullets https://rimrockbullets.com/. Excellent selection and quality. Shipping is cheap as well.

38 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

I don’t reload, don’t know even if this is a good price. Passing it along. 

https://capitalcartridge.com/primers/?goal=0_e342665a2c-8a056a2508-372359680&mc_cid=8a056a2508&mc_eid=6ad86cc8ff

No idea if they are a legit storefront, but FYI on ginex primers. This particualr small rifle is 0.0197" primer cup thickness (0.5mm) according tot heir spec sheet. SO similar to federal 200 and remington 6 1/2, but the spec sheet does say it was tested in .223 rem. 

PRIMER 4,5/3-I is one of their 5.56 primers and is 3.22mm high which may not fit in your brass. 

PRIMER 4,5/3-N is their other 5.56 primer, and is 3.12mm high which is about in the middle of the range for what you typically get with federal, cci, winchester, etc. 

You can look up the specs here

https://www.ginex.com.ba/Product.htm

The primers arrived yesterday. I loaded up 4 primer tubes and plan on loading 400rds tonight. Will shoot in this weekend and reports back. From what I have read they will be exactly the same as Tula primers. 

• Like 1