jaybirdtke

Storage in your car with a Permit to Carry

Now that some have received a permit to carry a handgun, what are the storage requirements for your car?  For example, you're carrying and you go somewhere that does not allow carrying of a handgun so you have to store it in your car.  Does the firearm need to be unloaded and stored separately from ammo contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported or can it be stored loaded in a gun box?

Thanks for the resource, but I still could not find it.  Until we have further clarification this is what we have to go by.

VEHICLE CARRY
It is unlawful to have a handgun in one’s possession “without having first obtained a permit to carry the same.” However, if a person does not have a permit to carry, exemptions are provided by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6(e), (f) (e.g., hunting, place of business, residence, target range). Furthermore, handguns must be transported pursuant to subsection (g) of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6. The requirements of subsection (g) are:
1. the firearm must be unloaded;
2. the firearm must be contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported; and
3. the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

3 hours ago, jaybirdtke said:

“without having first obtained a permit to carry the same.”

That pretty much answers the question. Once you have your NJ carry permit you are not bound by the other restrictions.

Side note, if forced to leave a firearm in my vehicle I would unload it and take the magazines in with me unless it was a true secure location with a metal detector.

I also have a pistol safe with a cable secured to my vehicle.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you feel comfortable leaving your mags in the locked, secured safe, along with your firearm? I have a safe with a cable that I plan to use for my revolver in similar situations when I get my permit. I can secure the cable to the seat frame and store it completely out of sight under the seat. I currently don't plan to empty my revolver when doing so, but I'm interested in a different viewpoint on the subject. 

An overzealous NJ prosecutor my try to make a name for themselves by charging someone with leaving a loaded firearm accessible to a (insert your individual here).

Just trying to give them less ammo, so to speak

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Are you planning to clear your handgun, as well, before locking it up? I have a RPO friend who frequently leaves his loaded firearm in a safe installed in his car when accessing sites that ban. I have serious reservations about emptying/clearing a handgun in a car, then reloading it after re-entering. I'm not convinced that this can repeatedly be done safely, given there might be no safe direction to point the firarm while doing so. Not to mention that there seems to be a lot of discussion about "printing" while carrying, for multiple reasons. I was already a little concerned about moving the handgun to the safe, and then back to concealment, without being observed. How much more difficult would it be to accomplish that, if the mandate is to clear the gun before locking it up, and then reloading it after removng from the safe?

I am for the most part unconcerned about being observed. I have been unloading and loading my carry on the side of the road, gas stations, convenience store and diner parking lots and such for over 8 years as I have had a NY and PA permit for that long.

In my experience the average person is oblivious to their surroundings and those that do notice are probably concealed carriers themselves.

I have never been questioned.

4 hours ago, Lostboy said:

I would not leave anything valuable accessable in my vehicle. That includes firearms. I will be mounting a secure lockbox in my vehicle in the event of me having to leave it there. 

Same.  I presume that someone will break in to my vehicle at some point, so I make a habit of not leaving anything important/valuable in there.

I have a truck, so there's a good amount of room under the dash, so i was thinking about mounting some kind of lockbox/safe under there (somehow :) ).

I put a Console Vault in my truck. Not cheap, but's it's heavy duty, well built, lifetime warranty & American Made. Also completely out of sight. Plenty of room to put other items in there as well, phone, smaller laptop/tablet, etc...

I haven't decided what I'm putting in my wife's car yet. They make one for it, but I don't think she'll let me install it. She already complains it doesn't have enough storage compartments in the front. I'll probably use a portable lock box with a cable through it and wrapped around seat track. 

https://www.consolevault.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samiam said:

A wise decision. But it doesn't address the main issue in this discussion, which is the legal requirements and implications of doing so. 

I suppose that's a bridge you'd have to cross when you come to it. 

Unless your gun is stolen from the vehicle I'm not sure of the scenario where it would be an issue. 

7 minutes ago, samiam said:

I have several Bunker Hill portable lock boxes that come with security cable that I bought at Horror Fraught. They are pretty sturdy, the cable is fairly robust, and at $20, the price is certainly right. 

Do you have a link for those?  All I'm finding on the Harbor Freight website are the portable lock boxes to hold a key.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Can't carry in or on a vehicle???  Probably to protect the innocent carjackers!  That permit is worthless!  I won't even bother applying in Gloucester County until that Judge gets her shit straight!!!:mad:

Thats ocean though. I'm still applying. GOA, NRA, NAPPEN, They should all be bringing it to them. 

13 hours ago, leo-польд said:

I had one of those in my Wrangler for years.  Great product that lasted 15+ years with daily use.

• Agree 1