Ray Ray

AR pics, lets see'um!

What's wrong with this picture?

They only thing I see is the trigger guard seems to bow up, but that could be an optical illusion.

I am also interested in the final weight of this ar. Polymer lower, carbon fiber handguard and buffer tube that thing has to be crazy light.

Shizzo (Jen) and Nick, specs please

NJGF engraved Spikes lower with bullet pictograms

Palmetto State Armory Magpul STR Lower build kit (Magpul STR stock, MOE Grip & Trigger guard).

Upper is the Spikes Dynacomp 14.5" Midlength w/ Magpul MOE handguards. I cut off the bayo lug myself (using the dremel I got from you, Ray :D) - the bare metal has been touched up with a blue pen.

Extras are the Magpul MBUS rear sight, Magpul ASAP sling plate, and the Magpul B.A.D. Lever.

MOE Trigger guard is still missing as they missed it in shipping - replacement is on its way already.

Pulling off some rails off my 16" AR to use on this... as well as the AFG2. Magpul Illumination kit is here already as well - just haven't put it on.

Ahh, good eye, you fellas catch on quick! It's indeed a dedicated 22lr build. The primary components are polymer upper and lower receivers, carbon fiber buttstock, carbon fiber sleeved barrel and carbon free float tube. Once nice aspect of this gun is that its built using true AR components, not a chassis wrap around a 10/22, or an "almost, but not quite there" M&P 15-22 that shares nothing with the AR world. The rifle is 3 lbs even before the optic was added. Should make a nice, fast steel challenge gun.

2012-06-28_23-41-47_316.jpg

Ahh, good eye, you fellas catch on quick! It's indeed a dedicated 22lr build. The primary components are polymer upper and lower receivers, carbon fiber buttstock, carbon fiber sleeved barrel and carbon free float tube. Once nice aspect of this gun is that its built using true AR components, not a chassis wrap around a 10/22, or an "almost, but not quite there" M&P 15-22 that shares nothing with the AR world. The rifle is 3 lbs even before the optic was added. Should make a nice, fast steel challenge gun.

2012-06-28_23-41-47_316.jpg

Ok, so who's parts are all the fancy bits.

NJGF engraved Spikes lower with bullet pictograms

Palmetto State Armory Magpul STR Lower build kit (Magpul STR stock, MOE Grip & Trigger guard).

Upper is the Spikes Dynacomp 14.5" Midlength w/ Magpul MOE handguards. I cut off the bayo lug myself (using the dremel I got from you, Ray :D) - the bare metal has been touched up with a blue pen.

Extras are the Magpul MBUS rear sight, Magpul ASAP sling plate, and the Magpul B.A.D. Lever.

MOE Trigger guard is still missing as they missed it in shipping - replacement is on its way already.

Pulling off some rails off my 16" AR to use on this... as well as the AFG2. Magpul Illumination kit is here already as well - just haven't put it on.

BCG?

alhf84.jpg

Mine is:

-BCM Upper and Charging handle

-Chrome bolt and firing pin

-Colt 20" HBAR barrel, Colt smooth tube and gas block

-Spikes "Infidel" lower

-PSA LBK including stock

-Hogue rubber zombie green grip

-L&M Tactical Acog Style Red/Green sight

Good job!

Ok, so who's parts are all the fancy bits.

Matt, TACCOM makes all the carbon goodies. If i recall, you have a Nordic upper, right? Taccom recently announced a carbon sleeved barrel is in development for the nordic receiver. If thats the case, i might switch over depending on how this CMMG EVO kit runs. I hear the nordic uppers just run.

Are you using 15-22 mags with a Ciener-based conversions? Details please...

Yep! 15-22 mags will feed a ceiner style bolt no problem, the issue is getting them to stay aligned and seated. Like much of the 15-22, the mags are not quite AR "spec" and specifically, they are a little shorter front to back and so are a little sloppy in the mag well. The site below makes a simple spacer plate that affixes to the magazine which takes up the slop and keeps them square in the gun. There's also a secondary benefit... the same guy makes a bolt catch that is actuated by the 15-22 mag when empty and locks the bolt back and stays locked after the mag is released like a proper bolt catch should. This feature only works with 15-22 mags reliably, but not black dog or CMMG's. You can do the CMMG EVO bolt stop but its a proprietary part that you have to fiddle with and only works with thier EVO mags which are rare as hens teeth right now.

http://www.arcatch22.com/

Cherry = popped...my first AR. Sorry for the crappy pics, my only camera is on my phone. First pic is dissembled parts and rest are different perspectives of the assembled gun.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/keithco88/IMG_20120709_173412.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/keithco88/IMG_20120711_210615.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/keithco88/IMG_20120711_210631.jpg

Specs:

Stag 2HT Upper w/plus package

New Frontier Armory LW-15 Polymer Lower

CAA TPR15x Front Sight Mounted Dual Rail

Streamlight TLR-1s

Magpul RVG

Larue Index Clips (which I'm toying with on the entire rail section, figuring out if I like them or not)

MAGS EFX-A1 Stock (kit from Stag Arms that includes buffer tube & spring)

Sling is some 3-1 tac sling from a cancelled military contract that Botach had on sale for $10 weeks ago...haven't used it but its going thru the GFH Urban Carbine 1 class in a couple weeks so we'll see how I like it.

Anyway test firing and sighting in this weekend @ EFGA but pretty pumped about it & hope it works out! Will be fed by 15rd mags purchased on this forum from MidwestPX and A&A exclusively!

Keith, I have that same exact upper, I really like mine. Two quick suggestions. For some reason that upper came with two sling mounts, one on the bottom and one on the side. I took off the extra one that I knew I wasn't going to use. Also, I think you should move your light down to the rail. Right now, not only is it harder to reach, but it's also in your field of view. If you move it down to the left side of the rail (left side when you're holding the rifle as if firing it), you'll be able to turn it on without taking you hand off the rail or foregrip, and it won't block your field of view.

Nice rifle, and congratulations on building your first one.

Keith, I have that same exact upper, I really like mine. Two quick suggestions. For some reason that upper came with two sling mounts, one on the bottom and one on the side. I took off the extra one that I knew I wasn't going to use. Also, I think you should move your light down to the rail. Right now, not only is it harder to reach, but it's also in your field of view. If you move it down to the left side of the rail (left side when you're holding the rifle as if firing it), you'll be able to turn it on without taking you hand off the rail or foregrip, and it won't block your field of view.

Nice rifle, and congratulations on building your first one.

Thanks, right now I'm using the side mounted sling point but will wait till after my class to see which I like better. The light is up there because I use the thumb-over-top hold on the rifle so I actually don't take my hand off the gun to flick the light. The foregrip is more of a stopper than anything, and a handle to pick the thing up, and something for my wife to use because she's short. Excellent point about the FOV though, will need to see how it works in my class.

Matt, TACCOM makes all the carbon goodies. If i recall, you have a Nordic upper, right? Taccom recently announced a carbon sleeved barrel is in development for the nordic receiver. If thats the case, i might switch over depending on how this CMMG EVO kit runs. I hear the nordic uppers just run.

Yeah, my Nordic is lighter than all my real uppers, so I'm not really interested in lightening it more. Just curious where the odd bits came from.