Downtownv

New Jersey Attorney General’s Office Weighs in on Reciprocity

By John Petrolino | 8:32 PM on November 09, 2023

One of the more challenging things for gun owners is navigating the different laws in different states, and knowing whether a particular permit to carry is valid in another jurisdiction. This might not be a big issue for people in certain parts of the U.S., such as the Gulf Shores, where many of the states have reciprocal agreements, and are large in land mass size, but for us in the North East/on the East Coast, well that’s another matter. Take for example a recent trip from New Jersey to Virginia I went on. Where can one carry and under what circumstances? What about someone traveling through New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and into Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont? A recent release from Governor Phil Murphy’s office prompted me to reach out to the Office of the Attorney General, Matthew Platkin, and ask about reciprocity.

Linky:

https://bearingarms.com/john-petrolino/2023/11/09/new-jersey-attorney-generals-office-weighs-in-on-reciprocity-n77092?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=00ea90fbf351bbfd29c96affd26f2dca49954a466ec9e3e8139f308bd8a1cb93

Hopefully, coming sooner than you think!

John hit's it outta the park!

didn't click the link. judging by the couple responses above me i'm guessing that the criminal general said pretty much no/never/nowaynohow. so now what we need is another scotus decision to force it on him. yeayea i know it's a childish outlook, but it'll be fun to watch.

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

so now what we need is another scotus decision to force it on him.

First you’d need actual legislation allow/forcing it.  From what I remember there were some legitimate non-2A concerns about the way the previous legislation was written.  

1 hour ago, siderman said:

Why would you post that? I read it and the link and saw nothing to elicit any hope for reciprocity from NJ. The supposed AG response was a boiler plate "no".

Clearly, you missed the pending case/ decision on the Massachusetts case. That will be something little peckerhead can't stop...

59 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

didn't click the link. judging by the couple responses above me i'm guessing that the criminal general said pretty much no/never/nowaynohow. so now what we need is another scotus decision to force it on him. yeayea i know it's a childish outlook, but it'll be fun to watch.

You missed it, as well, Lt

42 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

Clearly, you missed the pending case/ decision on the Massachusetts case. That will be something little peckerhead can't stop...

You missed it, as well, Lt

Your post title is misleading. The NJ AG's response was to a journalist asking about reciprocity was:

"New Jersey does not accept carry permits from other states.  A non-resident who wants to carry in New Jersey must apply to the New Jersey State Police for a New Jersey permit to carry under N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(c)(3)."

Thats the entire input in this article from the AG. Not exactly "weighing in" or even hopeful.

59 minutes ago, siderman said:

Your post title is misleading. The NJ AG's response was to a journalist asking about reciprocity was:

"New Jersey does not accept carry permits from other states.  A non-resident who wants to carry in New Jersey must apply to the New Jersey State Police for a New Jersey permit to carry under N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(c)(3)."

Thats the entire input in this article from the AG. Not exactly "weighing in" or even hopeful.

There's a reason why I did not post the entire article, mostly for you to open and read the entire article. Seems many of you missed the most important part of the article it is not about the asshole, Attorney General or governor. It is about Massachusetts and the court ruling coming down the pike, click on the link in the next paragraph and then you will see what the article is really about.

Reciprocity and national reciprocity is the next logical step for carry since NYSRPA. The arguments the anti-gunners used back in 2017 are now very moot. The carrying of arms outside the home IS a civil liberty and as such, every state, jurisdiction, and political hack needs to respect that. I’m not holding my breath on the Murph entering into reciprocity agreements, but I bet a case – perhaps one out of Massachusetts – is coming down the line on paving the way for the states to be forced into respecting this right. It’s only a matter of time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

but I bet a case – perhaps one out of Massachusetts – is coming down the line

That case is certainly interesting beyond the 2A.  Equal protection but also the notion that the defendant was complying with his home state laws while in Mass.  

And in other’s defense the article should have led with that case and not 80% fluff about a non-answer by the NJ AG. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Downtownv said:

It is about Massachusetts and the court ruling coming down the pike

So.. maybe.. years from now an MA state case will make it to SCOTUS.

If we are very lucky, it will even occur before the makeup of SCOTUS is changed by a (D) pres.

Maybe the 2nd and 9th circuit will rule on some outstanding cases by then..

On 11/11/2023 at 10:36 AM, Displaced Texan said:

There is reciprocity for drivers licenses across all 50 states….why not LTC? 

I have bought this up in past posts about drivers licenses,  It would be refreshing to see some pro 2a states especially along the eastern rt95 corridor stop accepting NJ drivers licenses and pass a law that fines NJ drivers for operating a motor vehicle without a state issued non-resident drivers license for example a state like Florida could issue a "Florida non-resident drivers license" whereas an applicant submits acceptable legitimate 6 point ID to the state of florida including your vehicle insurance company and policy number and citizenship status along with the make and type of vehicle you intend to operate within the state of florida along with a processing fee.   I only made up florida as an example but any 2A state would work.     we have to start fighting back like the dems,  the problem is our side is too passive and fail to realize that we are at war with these commies.   

4 minutes ago, revenger said:

I have bought this up in past posts about drivers licenses,  It would be refreshing to see some pro 2a states especially along the eastern rt95 corridor stop accepting NJ drivers licenses and pass a law that fines NJ drivers for operating a motor vehicle without a state issued non-resident drivers license for example a state like Florida could issue a "Florida non-resident drivers license" whereas an applicant submits acceptable legitimate 6 point ID to the state of florida including your vehicle insurance company and policy number and citizenship status along with the make and type of vehicle you intend to operate within the state of florida along with a processing fee.   I only made up florida as an example but any 2A state would work.     we have to start fighting back like the dems,  the problem is our side is too passive and fail to realize that we are at war with these commies.   

There are interstate reciprocity clauses that mandate the recognition of out of state drivers licenses in all states. I am not a lawyer, don’t remember what this is called…

I don’t see why this same standard cannot be applied in the case of LTC, or why we are not approaching it in this manner. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

There are interstate reciprocity clauses that mandate the recognition of out of state drivers licenses in all states. I am not a lawyer, don’t remember what this is called…

I don’t see why this same standard cannot be applied in the case of LTC, or why we are not approaching it in this manner. 

Especially since driving is only a privilege and not a right ...

49 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Especially since driving is only a privilege and not a right ...

Actually, freedom to travel freely, unrestricted, is a right.  By extension, freedom to use any conventional means of conveyance should also be protected.  Kinda like, "in common use".

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I've never seen a topic so twisted. 

Keep in mind, Doctors and Lawyers even CPA accountants also hold certifications/licenses to practice ONLY in the state they have been credentialed. 

I beleive the Full Faith and Credit clause allows for interstate reciprocity, but requires legislative effort. 

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

You guys are shooting too low.

Constitutional Carry for everyone. No qualifications necessary. No permits necessary.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/constitutional-carry-in-states/

Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future Bruen has already crushed that. 

11 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Keep in mind, Doctors and Lawyers even CPA accountants also hold certifications/licenses to practice ONLY in the state they have been credentialed. 

I beleive the Full Faith and Credit clause allows for interstate reciprocity, but requires legislative effort. 

Those are not constitutionally granted rights, either. 

Full faith and credit…that’s what I was looking for. 

36 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Actually, freedom to travel freely, unrestricted, is a right.  By extension, freedom to use any conventional means of conveyance should also be protected.  Kinda like, "in common use".

The licensing and registration renewal is just another revenue stream for the state. Especially the annual registration renewal. 

18 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Those are not constitutionally granted rights, either. 

Full faith and credit…that’s what I was looking for. 

But the Full Faith and Credit clause is constitutional. It's not about a "right" in that sense, but the idea that goverment issued documents are to be accepted, universally by all states. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

But the Full Faith and Credit clause is constitutional. It's not about a "right" in that sense, but the idea that goverment issued documents are to be accepted, universally by all states. 

That’s exactly the point. If you have a govt issued document that you are allowed to carry (or drive) in one state, shouldn’t that carry over to another? Just like your drivers license? 

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

That’s exactly the point. If you have a govt issued document that you are allowed to carry (or drive) in one state, shouldn’t that carry over to another? Just like your drivers license? 

It should, but the clause is muddy with the legislature component, almost like they just gave them the ability to choose what is and isn't universally accepted. 

Just like marriage licenses required a federal law of universal acceptance. It's apparently not "defacto" by their reasoning.

I dont agree with it, I'm just kinda pointing out how it's been applied over the years.