xXxplosive

What should we expect........

14 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Has anyone been stopped while carrying by the local PD and if so, how did it go.........

Stopped by the issuing department or any department?  I ask because I get the impression that my local department may be more firearm friendly than most.

I don't know anyone who 'regularly' gets pulled over, so it may be a while before we get a lot of people sharing their stories.

I'm over 50, and I tend to drive like an old lady on local roads, so I haven't been pulled over in in a town for more than 20 years.

I lead-foot it a bit on the highway, but even then I usually just go with the flow, so it's been a little while.  State Trooper pulled me over on the way to the shore a couple of years ago, but he just gave me a warning.  The trooper was very chill, so I don't think he would have made a big deal about the carry permit...but who knows.

25 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

I'm a slow driver also......so if it's not an inspection sticker or someone hits me...I dunno.

that raises a question. we know we have to inform them if they pull us over. but.....if we're in a crash, do we need to tell them when they get on scene?

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

I believe the key word is any  "interaction" with LE.....maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's how I read it as well, so I would disclose that I was carrying if there was a car accident where an officer show up and gets my info.

57 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So my neighbor tells me he was in a local supermarket and LE was also in there...says he didn't know what to do so he left....... told him, I dunno.

No restrictions for CCW in a supermarket. He could walk right past the cops and say hi to them. No duty to inform unless they confront him in an official capacity.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, ESB said:

So if you are a witness to a minor car accident, when you give your statement, do you have to disclose to the officer then?  

I probably would in that case simply because I am interacting with the LEO in his official capacity.  Kind of a grey area.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yeah, that's how I read it as well, so I would disclose that I was carrying if there was a car accident where an officer show up and gets my info.

I did this and the cop laughed and said "I'm not terribly concerned about it"

He couldn't have been more nonchalant. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I did this and the cop laughed and said "I'm not terribly concerned about it"

He couldn't have been more nonchalant. 

All the cops I know regard someone who declares having a PCH as a non-shitum, therefore not an issue.

I will probably not disclose unless it's a situation where disclosure is required.  Concealed means concealed and why created problems?

The rule is you must disclose if you are stopped or detained.

2C:58-4.4

b. The holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4, if stopped or detained by a law enforcement officer while carrying a handgun in public or traveling with a handgun in a motor vehicle, shall:

(1) immediately disclose to the law enforcement officer that they are carrying a handgun or that a handgun is stored in the vehicle; and

(2) display the permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4.

A violation of paragraph (1) of this section shall be a crime of the fourth degree. A person who violates paragraph (2) of this subsection shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense for a first offense and subject to a $100 fine and a crime of the fourth degree for a second or subsequent offense.

c. A holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4 who is carrying a handgun in public and is detained by a law enforcement officer as part of a criminal investigation shall provide the handgun to the law enforcement officer upon request for purposes of inspecting the handgun. The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to affect or otherwise limit the authority of a law enforcement officer to conduct a lawful search or seizure.

A violation of this subsection shall be a crime of the fourth degree.

• Informative 1

I have regular interaction with multiple POs due to my job. I am not allowed to carry at work so I leave my firearm home when I receive an emergency call, but many times I still have my holster on. Every time I have notified the POs on location that I had the holster on and have been first told thanks then why don't I have my firearm .

On 1/17/2024 at 5:24 PM, JohnnyB said:

I probably would in that case simply because I am interacting with the LEO in his official capacity.  Kind of a grey area.

closest i came to that was a few weeks ago when there was another crash out in front of my shop. i was out there, but still on my property, so nothing was said, as  i do not believe there be a requirement to do so in that instance.....i've always been able to carry on my fixed place of business.

On 2/11/2024 at 9:47 AM, maintenanceguy said:

I will probably not disclose unless it's a situation where disclosure is required.  Concealed means concealed and why created problems?

The rule is you must disclose if you are stopped or detained.

2C:58-4.4

b. The holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4, if stopped or detained by a law enforcement officer while carrying a handgun in public or traveling with a handgun in a motor vehicle, shall:

(1) immediately disclose to the law enforcement officer that they are carrying a handgun or that a handgun is stored in the vehicle; and

(2) display the permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4.

A violation of paragraph (1) of this section shall be a crime of the fourth degree. A person who violates paragraph (2) of this subsection shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense for a first offense and subject to a $100 fine and a crime of the fourth degree for a second or subsequent offense.

c. A holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4 who is carrying a handgun in public and is detained by a law enforcement officer as part of a criminal investigation shall provide the handgun to the law enforcement officer upon request for purposes of inspecting the handgun. The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to affect or otherwise limit the authority of a law enforcement officer to conduct a lawful search or seizure.

A violation of this subsection shall be a crime of the fourth degree.

So does this mean duty to inform if you are merely transporting IAW statute (i.e. unloaded, in a closed and fastened box, securely tied package, or in the trunk etc.) and you don't have CCW?

4 minutes ago, leahcim said:

So does this mean duty to inform if you are merely transporting IAW statute (i.e. unloaded, in a closed and fastened box, securely tied package, or in the trunk etc.) and you don't have CCW?

Yes.

If you have a valid PTC and are arrested/detained with handguns in your vehicle you must disclose them to the police officer even if you're not carrying them on your body.

18 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Only if you are a carry permit holder do you have a duty to inform even if only transporting. If you don't have a carry permit, the old rules apply and there is no duty to inform. You should answer honestly if asked if there are guns in the vehicle, however.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Only if you are a carry permit holder do you have a duty to inform even if only transporting. If you don't have a carry permit, the old rules apply and there is no duty to inform. You should answer honestly if asked if there are guns in the vehicle, however.

Okay that clears it up. Honest answers of course, but no duty to volunteer the info if you don't have PTC.

4 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Yes.

If you have a valid PTC and are arrested/detained with handguns in your vehicle you must disclose them to the police officer even if you're not carrying them on your body.

Got it, any traffic stop, but only if you have PTC.

Thanks!

lawsuits should be filed on this.

you should not have to disclose ANYTHING or surrender your rights.     where your coming from, where your going, what are you doing?

do you have any weapons, cannons, hand grenades aircraft carriers........   all designed and taught to them to catch you in a lie for further investigation.

the FIRST and ONLY words out of cops mouth when he pulls you over while driving is:  " the reason I stopped you is because"   and than provide your documents for the car and take your lumps if there is a violation.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:46 AM, Mr.Stu said:

I will quietly expect this to change in the future, since the "old rules" were in the may issue/basically no issue era.

CCW police response in Walmart, Kearney NJ.

I went to Walmart today, Tuesday, around 8pm to pick up some baby formula. I'm just looking around the place and i see an older black man and his wife with a cart and i see he has a pistol in holster on his hip. I look and I'm thinking ah nice he's probably ex detective or proud CCW holder. Thought nothing else of it and kept on. Purchased my stuff and as im heading to the door i see about 3 Emergency Response officers with seemed like managers, then saw a couple other officers with shields then another couple officers with AR's coming in. I overheard one of them tell the receipt checker at the door close the doors no one else in or out till we tell you. I was d last one out. I was looking back inside after i was out the doors, and sure enough, the officers were surrounding the old couple and the wife was yelling at the officers, "WTF HE HAS A CCW PERMIT WTF ARE YOU ALL DOING", all the while they were grabbing the older guys gun and subduing him. SMH, some ignorant asshole prob called the cops on this older black gentleman just cuz he had a pistol on his hip minding his own while shopping.

Remember this one........I dunno.