8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Laws prohibit behavior. If it is silent on where the mag must be, you can do anything you like with it. 

So does that mean, in your opinion, that you can lock the loaded magazine inside the same safe box as the unloaded gun?

13 minutes ago, ESB said:

So does that mean, in your opinion, that you can lock the loaded magazine inside the same safe box as the unloaded gun?

Sure. But why not toss it into the glove box to remove any doubt. Or take it with you. My spare mag very seldom leaves my pocket.

28 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Anybody pump your own gas here lately?

Every time I fill the generator/lawn equipment cans.  Nothing causes the service station attendants to disappear faster than unloading 5-gallon cans to fill.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, NJ_Sig said:

IMG_0843.thumb.jpeg.702a4543d888cfe38fe0fa86de181e82.jpeg

@Mr.Stu 

I’ve been looking like crazy trying to find the latest update. I tried researching the statute but so many versions come up dating back to the carry killer bill I can’t make sense of the changes and timeline.  I found this from handgunlaw.us specific to parking at a sensitive place. I’m not sure if there were more changes after this. 

Over the last couple days I spoke with 3 different LEO’s I know from different towns, one of which is the department’s firearms instructor. I know LEO’s are not attorneys. All 3 agreed that the laws are all over the place, vague and confusing to make it difficult for us. They all said they would not nail a legal carrier for storing their pistol loaded in its holster that covers the trigger in a locked safe placed out of view, as this is the safest way to do it. However we know there’s a small percentage that would be happy to find any reason to nail us.  It’s ridiculous to have us expose ourselves to the risk of an ND/AD to unload and store our pistol. One of them is going to reach out higher up the command ladder to find out for sure about this law. I’ll update when he gets back to me. It might be a couple weeks as he’s headed for vacation soon. In the meantime when I have time I’ll try to reach out to US Law Shield 

That might well be the personal inclination of those LEOs you spoke to, but if and when they are told over their radio "better just arrest the guy" guess what is going to happen? And then it becomes "prosecutor's discretion" and that generally goes in one direction only.

• Agree 1

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have question that seemed relevant enough to this one... Can anyone make sense of if you're in the legal right to travel with your handgun left unloaded in your locked gun safe.. with your PTC of course. Example is if you're heading out for the day and you know your first stop is a sensitive place nearby home (diner that serves alcohol), or maybe you're heading home from a restaurant or other sensitive place that you just had to unload and lock your firearm up at. I know the initial set of rules stated the only legal way to travel with the carry permit was with it unloaded and locked up. I want to assume we can still do that even though it was overturned to allow on person carry in your vehicle, even if you're not necessarily going to/from a sensitive place or place within the normal transport exemptions (range, gun shop, etc). 

46 minutes ago, Super47 said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have question that seemed relevant enough to this one... Can anyone make sense of if you're in the legal right to travel with your handgun left unloaded in your locked gun safe.. with your PTC of course. Example is if you're heading out for the day and you know your first stop is a sensitive place nearby home (diner that serves alcohol), or maybe you're heading home from a restaurant or other sensitive place that you just had to unload and lock your firearm up at. I know the initial set of rules stated the only legal way to travel with the carry permit was with it unloaded and locked up. I want to assume we can still do that even though it was overturned to allow on person carry in your vehicle, even if you're not necessarily going to/from a sensitive place or place within the normal transport exemptions (range, gun shop, etc). 

If it is loaded it has to be on you.

If it is not on you, it must be unloaded and in a case. 

If you leave it in your car it must be unloaded and either in a secured case or locked in the trunk. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, FDHog said:

Hey Stu, what do we do if we're carrying on our bikes. I don't trust locking in a hardbag. They make these regs unintelligible on purpose.

I just don't go to prohibited places on my bike

On 1/8/2024 at 2:10 PM, Grima Squeakersen said:

That might well be the personal inclination of those LEOs you spoke to, but if and when they are told over their radio "better just arrest the guy" guess what is going to happen? And then it becomes "prosecutor's discretion" and that generally goes in one direction only.

Exactly, that’s why I said in my post I know LEO’s are not attorneys. No harm in getting their take on things though

On 1/3/2024 at 10:10 AM, NJGlock19 said:

So in that case, I can have the firearm stored unloaded in my lock box tethered to my vehicle when not using it out of sight. So to be compliant Can I have it under the driver seat?

Also for the magazine what would be acceptable to keep that in then in that case? I'm assuming I won't need 2 safes for the gun and ammo lol.

Just put magazine in yer pocket or keep it in its carrier or case on yer belt.

12 hours ago, Bagarocks said:

Just put magazine in yer pocket or keep it in its carrier or case on yer belt.

I don't feel like going through a metal detector and then dealing with the extra nonsense that will lead to.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ESB said:

I don't feel like going through a metal detector and then dealing with the extra nonsense that will lead to.  

Same.

When I'm carrying I bring an extra mag and leave it in the lockbox under my seat.

I'd leave an empty magazine in the glove box, but my wife and kids borrow my vehicle on occasion, so I'd hate for them to get jammed up for transporting deadly hollow point, dum-dum ammo...

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

so besides the one in your gun....how many extra mags do ya carry on your person.

One in the gun and one extra.

I've been to too many action shooting matches where something unexpected happens and mag has to be swapped out.  Not a big deal at the range when having fun, but could be a big deal in real life...

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

One in the gun and one extra.

I've been to too many action shooting matches where something unexpected happens and mag has to be swapped out.  Not a big deal at the range when having fun, but could be a big deal in real life...

Same. And this is the real reason I carry an extra mag. The majority of gun malfunctions in a fight can be traced back to mag issues. Having a spare mag is insurance against that. The extra rounds are just a happy bonus.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, ESB said:

I didn't see where you said you were going into area such as Court house, a jail or an airport. Where you have to be scanned to enter.

Not that old a thread so I'll drop this question here. 

If you have your CCP and go to the range with other pistols, all bets are off if you want to stop on the way home aren't they? Everything I see about locking up your CC gun says "the gun" not guns. So you still have to abide by the same BS as far as deviation from a direct route. Right? I mean this is New Jersey. They wouldn't let us get away with that. 

5 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Not that old a thread so I'll drop this question here. 

If you have your CCP and go to the range with other pistols, all bets are off if you want to stop on the way home aren't they? Everything I see about locking up your CC gun says "the gun" not guns. So you still have to abide by the same BS as far as deviation from a direct route. Right? I mean this is New Jersey. They wouldn't let us get away with that. 

This is why I went to the effort to have every handgun I own added to my court order. 

On 1/2/2024 at 5:59 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I don't think we should have to disarm anywhere. These so-called sensitive places where we're supposedly going to find significant numbers of vulnerable people are precisely where responsible, law abiding adults SHOULD be carrying.

this.......

• Agree 1