Its_pork_roll

Why was this Ruger AR556 buttstock pinned?

Hi, first post here. I recently bought a NJ compliant (aka castrated) Ruger AR 556. Pinned buttstock, no barrel threads, came from Ruger like this. I assumed the buttstock was pinned so as to disable the adjustable buttstock that *looks* to be on there, and they just removed the spring, tapped some threads and put a bolt in. Fair enough, right? Well, the length of pull is a hair too much for me, so I went looking for a fixed stock that had the ideal LOP to swap out, and I found one. So I removed the pin and bolt, removed the buttstock and... what?? There are no adjustment holes in the buffer tube. So that brings up the question, why was it pinned in the first place? It's not like you can be illegal by removing the pinning and replacing the buttstock with an adjustable one, there are no adjustment holes. So why pin it at all?

Because by letter of the law here in the PRNJ,  Just because the buffer tube has no adjustment holes, you could still adjust the stock! Would it lock in place, no, but it would still move!  The stock must be fixed! 

• Confused 1

Ok then I will pin the new stock in so it's "Super Duper Fixed!" to be in compliance with our  unconstitutional NJ gun laws. Can't have your fixed stock easily changed out for another fixed stock here in NJ, because it's an "A-Salt" rifle according to people who know noting about guns.:icon_rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Its_pork_roll said:

Ok then I will pin the new stock in so it's "Super Duper Fixed!" to be in compliance with our  unconstitutional NJ gun laws. Can't have your fixed stock easily changed out for another fixed stock here in NJ, because it's an "A-Salt" rifle according to people who know noting about guns.:icon_rolleyes:

Did I mention how much I hate this state?:mad:

• Agree 1

Had the same issue on my NJ neutered S&W. Moved to FL and was a bit surprised to find the blank tube. No biggy my son had a spare. If I thought about it, still am, a folding stock may find its way here too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Did I mention how much I hate this state?:mad:

Well you have People's Republik of New Jersey in your tag so I kinda figured it out. :lol: The state would be fine if people would stop electing libs progs and commies. But they're not, they want the govt to be their mommy and daddy.

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Double Secret Fixed!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_mrgreen:

10 hours ago, siderman said:

Had the same issue on my NJ neutered S&W. Moved to FL and was a bit surprised to find the blank tube. No biggy my son had a spare. If I thought about it, still am, a folding stock may find its way here too.

Was your castle nut staked? Mine is, don't know if that's also part of the "compliance".

Listen you  gun nuts terrorists, a stock that moves makes the gun a lot more deadly. Joy Behard told me that you can't eat a deer shot with a fifty five point six because there is no meat left just an explosion of pink slime. If the stock folds it i'll fire double the rate and triple the velocity so fast that all deer in the area just explode. Someone think of the children!!!!!

I'd assume MFG really want to cover their asses when selling into the state.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Ferris said:

Listen you  gun nuts terrorists, a stock that moves makes the gun a lot more deadly. Joy Behard told me that you can't eat a deer shot with a fifty five point six because there is no meat left just an explosion of pink slime. If the stock folds it i'll fire double the rate and triple the velocity so fast that all deer in the area just explode. Someone think of the children!!!!!

Yeah definitely can make the gun more deadly. When the stock was pinned the gun was very calm and docile looking. As soon as I unpinned it, it looked very angry and I'm certain that it wanted to kill me. So it's locked up in the gun safe for now because I don't trust it, it could go ballistic at any moment. I will be wearing 3/8" steel plate armor when I open the safe again, and during the pinning of the new stock. Can't take any chances!

Joy is an absolute idiot. How the View stays on air is a mystery. 

Folding stocks are the devil! Can instantly make the AR the size of a subcompact handgun according to "experts". :icon_rolleyes:

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2024 at 10:22 PM, JohnnyB said:

Because by letter of the law here in the PRNJ,  Just because the buffer tube has no adjustment holes, you could still adjust the stock! Would it lock in place, no, but it would still move!  The stock must be fixed! 

The attorney general's guidance says that an assault rifle is defined as having a "folding or telescoping stock." Does the person who pinned the stock believe that even though the stock can't be adjusted to different positions, it's still a "telescoping stock" because a piece slides in and out of another, like a telescope?

• Like 1

Is the sliding and folding stock ban being challenged in NJ?  

I realize things like magazine capacity are probably more important but I find the sliding stock ban to be one of the most idiotic laws ever.

For arguments sake let's say a stock can slide into three different positions.  In NJ I can't own such a sliding stock.  BUT, i can own the same stock pinned and permanently welded in the three different lengths on three different rifles!  

It makes ZERO sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Is the sliding and folding stock ban being challenged in NJ?  

I realize things like magazine capacity are probably more important but I find the sliding stock ban to be one of the most idiotic laws ever.

For arguments sake let's say a stock can slide into three different positions.  In NJ I can't own such a sliding stock.  BUT, i can own the same stock pinned and permanently welded in the three different lengths on three different rifles!  

It makes ZERO sense.

They're equally important IMHO, banning weapons because of features/ Accessories is just crazy. I guess it's been going on since the 1994 or whatever but to me it's slippery slope. I can carry 10 mags to work within a mag ban but the thought of being a felon because my a weld isn't strong enough or a roll pin in falls out is nuts.  Maybe tomorrow a butt pad on the stocks will be banned feature, because it helps those damn MAGAs shoot more than 10 rounds before their shoulders are sore and bruised.

Plus I really want a folding stock adapter or maybe just a collapsible stock would help them fit better in the safe so maybe I'm just biased.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmmm. Is it safe to assume that the adjustable stock prohibition doesn't apply to pump scatterguns? I've got a Maverick 88 12 ga for home defense that I equipped with a folding stock/pistol grip that is length-adjustable when unfolded. I haven't yet taken it to the range, but have been wanting to do that. If it's verboten, I'd better just keep it home. Thanks.

GS

8 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

Hmmm. Is it safe to assume that the adjustable stock prohibition doesn't apply to pump scatterguns? I've got a Maverick 88 12 ga for home defense that I equipped with a folding stock/pistol grip that is length-adjustable when unfolded. I haven't yet taken it to the range, but have been wanting to do that. If it's verboten, I'd better just keep it home. Thanks.

GS

You are GTG!

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:50 PM, Ferris said:

Joyless Behar is an explosion of pink slime!