Sign in to follow this  
remthewanderer

What would you do in this situation?

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/52798827.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUF

"It's not like you're on a [boeing] 747 and you can walk around,'' said Christin, a professor at William Mitchell College of Law. "This was a sardine can, with a single row of seats on one side of the plane and two rows of seats on the other. And they've got about 50 people inside, including babies, for the whole night. It was a nightmare...''

The airline crew on the plane reached their maximum work hours in the air, so another crew had to be flown in. The alternative of chartering a bus didn't work out. And letting the passengers into the Rochester airport was not possible because they would have to go through security screening again, and the screeners had gone home for the day.

What about just letting the passengers sleep in the airport terminal? "That was not provided as an option by ground services personnel at the airport,'' said Nicholas...

As light began to fill the cabin around 6 a.m., the plane doors opened and passengers were allowed into the airport terminal, Christin said. The airlines gave them one free beverage, he said. By about 9:30 a.m., the passengers were sent back on the same plane they had spent the night in -- which by this time had no functioning restroom. They landed in the Twin Cities about 11 a.m.

So my question is: What would you do in this situation?

My favorite answer so far is to tell the crew you are having shortness of breath or chest pains.

I'd like to think I'd do something but chances are I wouldn't.

I've been stuck on the tarmack before. 6 hours on a trip through Phoenix once.

I think there needs to be a law that 180 minutes on the ground and the plane MUST be brought back to the terminal and passengers deboarded.

It would work like this. If at 120 minutes there was a CERTAIN departure window within 60 minutes, people could stay on the plane, if no CERTAIN window, they would be required by law to get the passengers off.

Furthermore, the whole bit about "re-screening" is BS. Let them off the damn plane.

My favorite answer so far is to tell the crew you are having shortness of breath or chest pains.

that's my answer right there, but then you have to play it up right when the paramedics get there. Don't tell them that you have it, just act as if you do(hunched over with short labored breaths) and they will take you off the plane.

read the article... the screeners went home for the day, hence why they could not of done it again. :o

I did read the article. They didn't need to be re-screened. You think they keep guns stashed in every airport in the event a plane might get delayed somewhere or something? They were already screened. Unless they left the airport, they're good enough.

Rescreen or not, doesn't matter. They could have kept them at the waiting area at the gate, and provided for them there. That area is past the screeners and is considered secure in every airport I've ever been in.

Yeah, the line about security is BS. Once you are screened, then your good. Think about it, when you have to transfer planes.. you don't have to go through security again because you are in the "secure" area.

If you fake chest pains, you could get a ride to the hospital, but then you end up paying for it.. as I'm sure just about all of us actually provide for our own health care.

I would make my concerns known to the crew, several times.. be nice.. but make sure they know your face.. encourage others to complain, and then once the fiasco ended.. get a good lawyer and get a lawsuit going against expressjet... for pain/suffering.. etc etc etc.. they will probably settle out of court..

That's what I would do. I know we are all against the "sue everyone" idea.. but that's the best you can do in this case.

If you get up and pull the emergency door, when no emergency exists, I'm pretty sure that's a federal crime, and you'd be at the very minimum be spending the night in jail and subsequent fees/court/etc, faking chest pains.. spend the night in the hospital.. and subsequent Healthcare bills... sue the airline.. maybe get something out of it..

they could have been able to get off, just as long as they did not leave the secure terminal. once you pass in you cannot come out of the terminal without being rescreened so all they had to do was stay in the terminal area, usualy restaurants and food courts in the secure area..

I would have been off that plane one way or another even if i had to pop open the emergency exit.

I have also flown in the mentioned plane by the same carrier, i would have been very pissed being stuck on that plane, i did spend 2 hours in one on the tarmat and they were getting ready to off load us when we recieved clearance to take off, it was in a snow storm and was flying out of atlanta to philly.. the landing was intresting you could not get a better ride at a theme park. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stand up in the middle of the plane, stick your finger down your throat and throw up on as many people you could. This would start a violent chain reaction of everyone throwing up on each other and they would have to pop open the emergency exits :lol:

I'd get the local PD on the cell phone and complain of kidnapping/imprisonment.

Doors are closed, plane is away from the jet way, you just committed a federal crime, and although you'll be off the plane quickly, it will be in handcuffs.

(Wasn't there an LA Law episode about this a million years ago?)

I'd get the local PD on the cell phone and complain of kidnapping/imprisonment.

Doors are closed, plane is away from the jet way, you just committed a federal crime, and although you'll be off the plane quickly, it will be in handcuffs.

(Wasn't there an LA Law episode about this a million years ago?)

What is the law, actually? Is it that you can't use a cell phone at certain points while on an airplane, or is the law that you have to follow flight crew instructions, those instructions typically being turning off cell phones at certain points in the flight?

The news article doesn't mention whether the passengers were instructed not to use cell phones.