Sign in to follow this  
223lover

When is old..too old

I've been doing alot of soul searching lately. I've been shooting off and on since the 70's. Now after a long long time, I found a renewed interest the sport.. Actually, since last September, when I shot an AK , that old feeling stirred again. So now 3 AR's later, and 4 new hand guns, I have to think what the hell am I doing? So it begs the question, at over 60 should I be selling my guns and not buying more? Or just screw it and keep shooting as long I can until as they say, they pry the gun from my cold, dead hand? As a side note, I have no kids to give them to, and my wife thinks the one gun a month law is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (did I just answer my own question?) Your opinions on the matter would make me feel better.

Sleepless in Sussex

If you can safely handle your firearms, I don't think you can be "too old". If you still enjoy shooting them, I say keep them and shoot them. If there are some you find you don't shoot anymore and don't have any real attachment to them, you could always sell them and put the money towards a nice vacation or something. Just my thoughts.

Huh?

What does being over 60 have to do with enjoying a hobby? God willing you have 30+ more years of enjyoing life!!!! Live dammit!

My dad turned 69 this month..... and just bought a handgun after years of not having one..... I cant wait to shoot with him....

I'm thirtynine years old and thanks to my father I've been shooting thirtytwo of them. And a gunowner for thirtyone of them. I had my FID before I had my voters registration card. I'm just as enthusiastic now as then.

"Shooting is fun"-Old Painless. And he's well over sixty.

Safety is not an issue. I'm still healthy, working, and "with it". I've thought of selling off the ones I don't shoot any more, but as a gun salesman recently told me, after awhile, they become like your children, each different, as much as they are alike, and it's hard to give them up while they still live at home. hah ha :D

at over 60 should I be selling my guns and not buying more?

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but age alone shouldn't be a factor when deciding whether or not to continue something you apparently enjoy. My wife's dad was a competitive shooter and instructor well into his 70's and continued to shoot and reload for his personal enjoyment until he was into his early 80's.

As long as you still enjoy the sport, and are physically able to do what you need to do to participate, I can't see age being even remotely relevant.

223lover,

My situation is much like yours. 50 is in the rear-view mirror and 60 is not far in front of me. I was away from shooting for more that 25 years when my son encouraged me to come back to it. 2.5 years, 3 handguns and 7 long guns later later I have asked myself these same questions.

I have come to the same conclusion that others have stated here. As long as health and mental acuity allow I will enjoy this hobby. After all, how often can we participate in an activity at our ages, enjoy it as much or more than when we were younger and actually see improvement? Plus, the comraderie among shooters is uplifting. Wouldn't you rather talk to others about bolt-action military surplus rifles or O/U shotguns than your prescription meds or latest surgical procedure? :D

If and when the time comes to give up your firearms there wil be many eager younger shooters willing to give them a good home. Until then, keep shooting and enjoy every minute of it. That's what I intend to do.

Well ok then Special K, I will just get some bubble wrap and package the Python, Diamond Back, the 6 model 41's and the Hammerli right out to you. Say $10 ? Sound fair? Intested in the Colt Ace also? Oh wait, I have this here Singer .45 in the safe but it looks its age. :lol:

As a side note, I have no kids to give them to, and my wife thinks the one gun a month law is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (did I just answer my own question?) Your opinions on the matter would make me feel better.

Sleepless in Sussex

I'm always in the market to be adopted :) I'm really a good kid LOL

Anyway you gotta shoot until you can shoot no longer. Age is just a number to associate when you were put on this earth. As long as you keep active and live the life you want to live age shouldn't tell you that you can or can't do something. I hope when I'm 80 I'm still crawling on the floor with my kids kids when the time comes.

My oldest customer recently turned 91. He enjoys shooting his 9mm handgun and 22 rifle every week. At least that was what he told me a few months ago.

Come to think about it, its been awhile since I heard from him. Hmm. I hope he is still around. :shock:

Thanks PK, I feel MUCH better now!

I just realized your in hoptacong which is a hop skip and a jump away from Cherry Ridge. I just hope you can make it out to the Monthly Clay bird shoot Sept 13th. It should be a really good time and I am sure it will reinforce why you should keep shooting.

I just turned 59 and have been thinking along the same lines. I also started shooting in the 70's, they got out of it till about 7 years ago. Read 2 books by Peter Hathway Capstick and went out and bought a Winchester model 70 in .H&H for a trip to Africa I'll never take. In fact I bought several pistols and rifles that are just sitting in the safe. I had hoped to leave them to my son's but they seem to have no interest. I make a trip to the bullet hole maybe once or twice a year. I am hanging onto mine , they can be part of my estate sale.

I'm just finishing up the addition of a ramp to our outdoor ranges. many of our members are up there in years but still want to shoot. As the range is down a hill, the ramp was added. Age doesn't stop someone from doing anything unless you let it.

So it begs the question, at over 60 should I be selling my guns and not buying more?

I took my dad (70) shooting for father's day. He has not shot since the 50's when he was conscripted into the army.

On a side note, he was not impressed with the trigger on my XD, he felt the takeup was too long.

I can't wait to take him out again and have him shoot the Mosin or the shotgun...