Sign in to follow this  
NJ-Tom

Monthly Ammo Expense

How much are you spending on ammo per month?

Last month I spent $483.64 on ammo for the shotguns,and handguns. $84.00 so far in September.

8-) Hope the Mrs. doesn't find out.

I'm good for about $175 or so every couple of weeks, depending on how much range time I've put in. I tend to buy about twice what I've shot, so if I shoot 150 rounds of .40, I'll buy 3 boxes next time out, until I have enough to not worry about availability for a while. When I can get the Federal 550 round .22lr value packs, I'll buy the limit, and so will Lynn. Same for 9mm. Now that I got the Taurus back, it'll probably get more expensive since I'll be looking for .38 and .357 as well as everything else.

I'll buy the limit, and so will Lynn. Same for 9mm.

Ken, if you're talking about those $9 boxes of 9mm, that's a great deal. I'll give you 2 bucks over cost on any 9mm that you don't limit out on. It'd cost me $10 in gas to drive to that Walmart off 84.

Ken, if you're talking about those $9 boxes of 9mm, that's a great deal. I'll give you 2 bucks over cost on any 9mm that you don't limit out on. It'd cost me $10 in gas to drive to that Walmart off 84.

I'll keep you in mind next time I go. I'll probably make the trip tomorrow or Fri. morning. No markup necessary. I'm there anyway.

I'll keep you in mind next time I go. I'll probably make the trip tomorrow or Fri. morning. No markup necessary. I'm there anyway.

Ken - Just called Milford..... No 9mm....

Ken - Just called Milford..... No 9mm....

That particular location usually unpacks at around 7:30 in the morning. By the time noon rolls around, they're pretty much out of every handgun caliber.

I probably spent over $600 or so in the last month as I stocked up on my target and personal protection ammo for the pistols I own. I had 0 ammo to start with, hence the cost.

Usually it's far less, one trip a month to the range and about $75 in ammo. I was buying a tad more just to make sure I had enough for two or three trips since it became so difficult to get!

I don't even want to think about what I spend on ammo with 9mm,40,45 7.62X54R,8mm.... I think it's time to reload.

I agree. After being away from shooting for 15 years and having to stock up this past year with .22, 9mm, .38, .357, .45, .223 and some 12 ga for this Sunday, I don't even want to know how much I've spent. :shock:

man I'm a minority around here, I spend at tops 50 bucks a month on ammo :)

some shotshell for the monthly clay meet, and some .22lr and I'm good to go. I've stopped shooting the pistol all together these days, I don't have enough money

man I'm a minority around here, I spend at tops 50 bucks a month on ammo :)

some shotshell for the monthly clay meet, and some .22lr and I'm good to go. I've stopped shooting the pistol all together these days, I don't have enough money

No..... I am with ya....

I wait and look for deals.... I havent bought 9mm in months due to the price. But when I travel down to NC.... I will buy in quantity if I find a deal

yeah at 24 bucks per 50 for .40 I was crying everytime I pulled the trigger. .50, .50, .50, .50, .50, .50, thats one clip and about 30 seconds of my life. I think I am good. I'll wait til I get my 1911 and start to reload.

Boxer Primers (American Stuff - Modern) have one flash-hole in the cartridge, and the anvil (the little piece that makes the mercury go off) is contained within the primer itself. These are very easily reloadable. This is the "common" primer.

Berdan primers, (surplus/non-reloadable) stuff has 2 flash holes in the case. The anvil is on the case itself, not the primer. Generally, these are non-reloadable because there is no where to get the primers AFAIK.

ah...ok - learning something already.

So if this isn't reloadable, what's the chances of surplus ammo being depleted or are there large stockpiles of this stuff still around ?

I don't think its all surplus, and there was talk that it might get produced because some other manufacturers are making guns for it