Sign in to follow this  
pronoun

getting fingerprinted...in a month? :(

The good news: I turned in my permit application today!

The bad news: My town outsources fingerprinting. And when I went online to set up an appointment, the first available date wasn't for a month. The nice lady at the desk said I should call back in 6-10 weeks to check on the status, but do you think that means 6-10 weeks from today? Or from the date I get fingerprinted? 4 months sure seems like a long wait.. :(

In the mean time I guess I can do some shopping!

It is not just your town, it is all of NJ as of Dec. 1 2009. Sagem Morpho got the state contract to fingerprint ALL non-criminal fingerprinting. It includes gun applications, job applicants, vol firefighters etc. Now we all must make an appt and go somewhere else to have our prints taken. Could take upwards of a month, as in this instance. :roll:

The 30 days are not counted until your pd receives the prints back from the state. Most departments will not take your application until you come in with a receipt stating you had your prints taken.

They started outsourcing non-criminal fingerprinting years ago with Immigration Applications. This is probably easier in some ways. We only fingerprinted NC applications on two days for only a few hours during that time. If the people who rolled prints were busy or out you were out of luck. The new AFIS systems make it quicker and much more reliable than hand rolling and are instantly submitted. With the older way, those print cards could sit for a week or more until sent out.

I didn't realize the Sagem Morpho thing was for the whole state

The state will no longer accept non-crimial prints from agencies. All prints muct go through the contracted company. It isn't totally in place yet.

It is in effect as of Dec. 1 , It was not in place back in june. Electronic fingerprinting or not (AFIS) will not be accepted by the SBI (state bureau of identification) unless it is done at a sagem morpho location. The AFIS system will only be good for criminal ID / arrests not for any type of applicants.

They started outsourcing non-criminal fingerprinting years ago with Immigration Applications. This is probably easier in some ways. We only fingerprinted NC applications on two days for only a few hours during that time. If the people who rolled prints were busy or out you were out of luck. The new AFIS systems make it quicker and much more reliable than hand rolling and are instantly submitted. With the older way, those print cards could sit for a week or more until sent out.

I agree, I think its good also, no more "your fingerprints were rejected by the SBI, we have to do them over" Much more proficient, should have happened years ago.

should have happened years ago.

Except that years ago the cheapest AFIS system was thirty five or forty thousand. Only recently have they come down to a reasonable level. We got ours because of a grant. Initially they wouldn't interface with applicant cards. That isn't an issue any longer. The down side is the need to use one of the commercial locations.

The nice part about AFIS is that it qualifies the prints before they can be sent.

I just received my permit yesterday. Exactly 5 days after getting prints done.

The whole process did take about 14 working days from permit app to permit.

Go online to find all locations that take the prints. For me it was in paramus.

Wow! Well I already scheduled my appt. for Parsippany, so it's not a huge deal to wait another two weeks or so. I can only hope mine goes as quickly!

That may be a new record in NJ :)

For ANYTHING.

No offense sir, but somebody wasn't doing their job, OR [flag animation missing]

No offense sir, but somebody wasn't doing their job, OR [flag animation missing]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ummm yeah, Paul is right.

Never-the-less Mazel Tov on your FID.

I'm mot kidding even a friend of mine could not believe it. His next door neighbor is a trooper and could not get it done 4 four months. It just goes to show you what clean living will do for ya ! :dance:

If the outsourcing is true, that totally sucks. Now the state has more ways to prolong getting ID card

Totally incorrect. Now you have a dedicated location that does it on a full time basic using the AFIS system. you could wait for someone in a local department to have the time to roll the prints on a card only to let them sit for days until they are shipped out.

You really can't believe that rolling prints is anywhere near the top of the priority list in any department. Manpower is down so you could wait days before anyone has time to do an applicant card.

This has been in the making for years since the days of mandatory off site Immigration printing was started.

Just got two PPP's renewed at out local PD (Hopewell Twp. / Mercer County) and specifically asked the detective (whom I have come to know quite well, since I'm in there so often :D ) if they were now outsourcing fingerprinting. He emphatically stated no and that they had not received any directive about doing so. They do have electronic printing - so maybe this is just for departments that don't have that capability??? Or is it the usual gov't inefficiency in getting the word out??

I am still continually amazed at the differences in procedures among municipalities in this state. Chad said they needed to fingerprint for a replacement FPID card. My PD only requires filling out an ST-3 and a criminal background check (SB212 I believe - $18) with no fee for the card itself.

I've gotten involved in this whole mess because my GF told me that she wants to buy a gun (watch for porcine droppings from the sky). I've been shooting since we've been together (almost 23 years) and have never been able to convince her. She goes to FL for a few days before Christmas, meets a friend of a friend who is a retired NYPD Captain and all of a sudden she wants to buy a gun - don't know what he said to her, but my hat's off to him.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It is not just your town, it is all of NJ as of Dec. 1 2009.

I beg to differ sir. I just got fingerprinted by Howell PD for a non-res CCW permit last week. Called the morning of and they said come on in, waited 15 minutes and the officer doing the prints was very CCW friendly, was not told anything about outsourcing fingerprinting

I did an address change and I didnt have to get fingerprinted. I even applied for permits. As far as outsourcing goes. Its usually shaky in the beginning of a new procedure but usually works out with time. I do know for a fact that police depts around here are still fingerprinting here in Bergen County. A buddy of mine went laqst week and they did it the old fashioned way with ink pad and card. As far as someone saying manpower is down...everytime i go to the PD...there is always a cop there.

It is not just your town, it is all of NJ as of Dec. 1 2009.

I beg to differ sir. I just got fingerprinted by Howell PD for a non-res CCW permit last week. Called the morning of and they said come on in, waited 15 minutes and the officer doing the prints was very CCW friendly, was not told anything about outsourcing fingerprinting

was it a NJ non-resident CCW application or FL / Utah etc. NJ requires this not other states. Again, this has nothing to do with the department itself. This from the NJSP, they will not accept fingerprints taken at local police departments for any applications. If your application was for an out of state CCW then the NJSP will never see it, it goes to the appropriate state.

Nah, just for a replacement / initial FID. If you change your addy or whatever. Right? I've never been printed for PP's.

You should have to get your prints retaken every time you move since they change and all. :roll: Can you get a copy of them on a flash drive since they're done digitally now?